Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 14

Thread: Could my Bulldog be Unhappy and Depressed . . . ?

  1. #1
    Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member Maximus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Toms River, New Jersey
    Posts
    492
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)
    78

    Default Could my Bulldog be Unhappy and Depressed . . . ?

    I am concerned about my Bulldog. He is 6-years old and his name is Maximus. I see a change in his affect
    and behavior. He has numerous health problems which could be a part of it. He suffers from Allergies, Entropion, he has Hyperkeratosis of his Paws and his Nose. He is on a lot of medications, plus in December
    he injured both of his ACL's, but could not have corrective surgery because Maximus is overweight and currently weighs 83-lbs, and Anesthesia would be lethal and very dangerous for him, so no Vet would consider operating on him in this condition. He appears to me to be Sad and Depressed. He has no activity
    or energy level, he sleeps all day and looks Sad.

    I don't know what to do for him .

  2. #2
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    5,050
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)
    6265

    Default Re: Could my Bulldog be Unhappy and Depressed . . . ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    I am concerned about my Bulldog. He is 6-years old and his name is Maximus. I see a change in his affect
    and behavior. He has numerous health problems which could be a part of it. He suffers from Allergies, Entropion, he has Hyperkeratosis of his Paws and his Nose. He is on a lot of medications, plus in December
    he injured both of his ACL's, but could not have corrective surgery because Maximus is overweight and currently weighs 83-lbs, and Anesthesia would be lethal and very dangerous for him, so no Vet would consider operating on him in this condition. He appears to me to be Sad and Depressed. He has no activity
    or energy level, he sleeps all day and looks Sad.

    I don't know what to do for him .
    Sorry to hear. Nobody wants to see their bullies sick . You did post elsewhere about him eating table food. It's ok as ive mentioned you can do half half. What exactly you feed him as dog food?

  3. #3
    Bulldog Walker Frith's Avatar
    Real Name
    Anna
    Country
    USA
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    291
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frith
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    354

    Default Re: Could my Bulldog be Unhappy and Depressed . . . ?

    So, don't know if this is right for you, but swimming with your dog. I saw this on tv...you will have to hold them up so he doesnt sink, but he will swim. Its a therapy for overweight older dogs, good for joints and such. With such a big boy it might take two to hold him up.
    Fritthy

  4. Likes helsonwheels, 2BullyMama liked this post
  5. #4
    Potty Trainer Jenni23's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    73
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Georgia
    Likes (Received)
    97

    Default Re: Could my Bulldog be Unhappy and Depressed . . . ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Frith View Post
    So, don't know if this is right for you, but swimming with your dog. I saw this on tv...you will have to hold them up so he doesnt sink, but he will swim. Its a therapy for overweight older dogs, good for joints and such. With such a big boy it might take two to hold him up.
    Swimming is a great idea! Maybe if you can get some weight off of him, he would perk up a bit. Definitely look at his diet and see where you can cut back, or substitute healthier options for snacks and toppers, carrots, green beans, low fat plain yogurt etc.

    Jenn and Gigi

  6. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
  7. #5
    Wrinkle Wiper codered's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cody
    Country
    United States
    Location
    panhandle of Florida
    Posts
    100
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diamond
    Likes (Received)
    66

    Default Re: Could my Bulldog be Unhappy and Depressed . . . ?

    wow! he's a hefty boy. i know diamond is starting to reach 60 lbs. most weekends we go to a park and i make her run with me for a couple of miles and we go uphill and down hill. i always make sure to turn on the cold water faucet before we do any exercise so she won't hassle as much in the FL heat. i had Diamond soaked one time when it was a cool 76 degrees and 100% humidity and she didn't start hassling until we almost got done. i'm in an ok shape i'm not entirely fit but, i jog with her, do little sprints of flat out runs, and walk when she starts to slow down. that's how i push her and myself. together we can win track day
    You can follow me on
    Instagram: redcody318

  8. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
  9. #6
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    5,050
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)
    6265

    Default Re: Could my Bulldog be Unhappy and Depressed . . . ?

    @Maximus, Swimming is a great idea like Jenni mentioned cause wont strain the muscles. All starts with baby steps. Like humans, over weight we change our food habits and start exercising slowly. Playing ball, mini walks, give healthy snacks like mentioned or like dry liver he'll love that for sure. I personally like mentioned in the other post would put him on home cooking till you have controll of his weight. It's a bit more work but worth it. It's a proven fact that in humans just like in pets, as soon as they lose the weight n exercise most will lose the meds. Just a thought

  10. #7
    Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member Maximus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Toms River, New Jersey
    Posts
    492
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)
    78

    Default Re: Could my Bulldog be Unhappy and Depressed . . . ?

    Maximus is a large Bulldog. He is long for a bulldog. Both of his parents are also large and long. He weighs 83-lbs and he is currently on FROMM Weight Management Dog Food, and he gets 2-cups per day. The 'table food' issue involves me giving him ground lamb or
    bison mini-burgers in order to get his medication in him. He is on a lot of meds. Other than that he does not receive any other table food. He is inactive because he injured both ACL's and limps because he was unable to have corrective surgery for the torn ACLs
    due to his weight. So he can not be taken outdoors to walk or run. It will be a long recovery for him, but his mental status is my
    main concern right now. He just sits and stares into space. He does not respond when you call his name. He does not play with his
    toys anylonger. There is definitely something wrong.

  11. #8
    Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Texas Carol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    7,202
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)
    2741

    Default Re: Could my Bulldog be Unhappy and Depressed . . . ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    Maximus is a large Bulldog. He is long for a bulldog. Both of his parents are also large and long. He weighs 83-lbs and he is currently on FROMM Weight Management Dog Food, and he gets 2-cups per day. The 'table food' issue involves me giving him ground lamb or
    bison mini-burgers in order to get his medication in him. He is on a lot of meds. Other than that he does not receive any other table food. He is inactive because he injured both ACL's and limps because he was unable to have corrective surgery for the torn ACLs
    due to his weight. So he can not be taken outdoors to walk or run. It will be a long recovery for him, but his mental status is my
    main concern right now. He just sits and stares into space. He does not respond when you call his name. He does not play with his
    toys anylonger. There is definitely something wrong.

    What does his Vet say about his depressive state?


    My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

  12. #9
    Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    oscarmayer's Avatar
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,698
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, Pippy, Kash, and MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    3614

    Default Re: Could my Bulldog be Unhappy and Depressed . . . ?

    Start with weight management. Cut his kibble in half. No more that 1/2 cup of kibble and a whole can of low salt green beans two times a day until you can see a well-defined waistline. Manage his entropion with regular drops until the time is right for correction. Getting weight off of him will help his injured ACLs. As mentioned already...baby steps and NO BACKSLIDING!!! Get that weight off of him, please.

  13. Likes 2BullyMama, Texas Carol liked this post
  14. #10
    Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Texas Carol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    7,202
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)
    2741

    Default Re: Could my Bulldog be Unhappy and Depressed . . . ?

    Quote Originally Posted by codered View Post
    wow! he's a hefty boy. i know diamond is starting to reach 60 lbs. most weekends we go to a park and i make her run with me for a couple of miles and we go uphill and down hill. i always make sure to turn on the cold water faucet before we do any exercise so she won't hassle as much in the FL heat. i had Diamond soaked one time when it was a cool 76 degrees and 100% humidity and she didn't start hassling until we almost got done. i'm in an ok shape i'm not entirely fit but, i jog with her, do little sprints of flat out runs, and walk when she starts to slow down. that's how i push her and myself. together we can win track day

    Good for you to want Diamond to be in good shape. However, bulldogs are short noses,
    and many times, very narrow tracheas (throat tubes) all make getting enough air very
    difficult and many times in heat & humidity, not enough air intake to cool down. Even
    at 76* if humidity is 80% or more, that is dangerous for flat nose breeds to be out and
    exercising them is NOT recommended at all except for very early am or late night pm.
    Even 'wetted down' is not enough, once a bully overheats it's very hard to save them.
    And once overheated, if they survive, they are prone to heat exhaustion.


    My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

  15. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  16. #11
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,177
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11512

    Default Re: Could my Bulldog be Unhappy and Depressed . . . ?

    All the discomfort will cause him to not want to do anything...... I really like the swimming idea --- I found this one online in your town

    Therapy Dog Training | Toms River, NJ |Pet Sitting | Dog Walking | Dog Training |
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  17. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
  18. #12
    Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member Maximus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Toms River, New Jersey
    Posts
    492
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)
    78

    Default Re: Could my Bulldog be Unhappy and Depressed . . . ?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    All the discomfort will cause him to not want to do anything...... I really like the swimming idea --- I found this one online in your town

    Therapy Dog Training | Toms River, NJ |Pet Sitting | Dog Walking | Dog Training |
    Unfortunately, this facility does not provide Hydrotherapy. It is predominately Dog Training and Pet Sitting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •