Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I am concerned about my Bulldog. He is 6-years old and his name is Maximus. I see a change in his affect
and behavior. He has numerous health problems which could be a part of it. He suffers from Allergies, Entropion, he has Hyperkeratosis of his Paws and his Nose. He is on a lot of medications, plus in December
he injured both of his ACL's, but could not have corrective surgery because Maximus is overweight and currently weighs 83-lbs, and Anesthesia would be lethal and very dangerous for him, so no Vet would consider operating on him in this condition. He appears to me to be Sad and Depressed. He has no activity
or energy level, he sleeps all day and looks Sad.

I don't know what to do for him .

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I am concerned about my Bulldog. He is 6-years old and his name is Maximus. I see a change in his affect
and behavior. He has numerous health problems which could be a part of it. He suffers from Allergies, Entropion, he has Hyperkeratosis of his Paws and his Nose. He is on a lot of medications, plus in December
he injured both of his ACL's, but could not have corrective surgery because Maximus is overweight and currently weighs 83-lbs, and Anesthesia would be lethal and very dangerous for him, so no Vet would consider operating on him in this condition. He appears to me to be Sad and Depressed. He has no activity
or energy level, he sleeps all day and looks Sad.

I don't know what to do for him .

Sorry to hear. Nobody wants to see their bullies sick :( . You did post elsewhere about him eating table food. It's ok as ive mentioned you can do half half. What exactly you feed him as dog food?

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
So, don't know if this is right for you, but swimming with your dog. I saw this on tv...you will have to hold them up so he doesnt sink, but he will swim. Its a therapy for overweight older dogs, good for joints and such. With such a big boy it might take two to hold him up.

Jenni23

Mar 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
So, don't know if this is right for you, but swimming with your dog. I saw this on tv...you will have to hold them up so he doesnt sink, but he will swim. Its a therapy for overweight older dogs, good for joints and such. With such a big boy it might take two to hold him up.

Swimming is a great idea! Maybe if you can get some weight off of him, he would perk up a bit. Definitely look at his diet and see where you can cut back, or substitute healthier options for snacks and toppers, carrots, green beans, low fat plain yogurt etc.

codered

Feb 25, 2016
panhandle of Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diamond
wow! he's a hefty boy. i know diamond is starting to reach 60 lbs. most weekends we go to a park and i make her run with me for a couple of miles and we go uphill and down hill. i always make sure to turn on the cold water faucet before we do any exercise so she won't hassle as much in the FL heat. i had Diamond soaked one time when it was a cool 76 degrees and 100% humidity and she didn't start hassling until we almost got done. i'm in an ok shape i'm not entirely fit but, i jog with her, do little sprints of flat out runs, and walk when she starts to slow down. that's how i push her and myself. together we can win track day :p:laugh::no:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=701]Maximus[/MENTION], Swimming is a great idea like Jenni mentioned cause wont strain the muscles. All starts with baby steps. Like humans, over weight we change our food habits and start exercising slowly. Playing ball, mini walks, give healthy snacks like mentioned or like dry liver he'll love that for sure. I personally like mentioned in the other post would put him on home cooking till you have controll of his weight. It's a bit more work but worth it. It's a proven fact that in humans just like in pets, as soon as they lose the weight n exercise most will lose the meds. Just a thought :)

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Maximus is a large Bulldog. He is long for a bulldog. Both of his parents are also large and long. He weighs 83-lbs and he is currently on FROMM Weight Management Dog Food, and he gets 2-cups per day. The 'table food' issue involves me giving him ground lamb or
bison mini-burgers in order to get his medication in him. He is on a lot of meds. Other than that he does not receive any other table food. He is inactive because he injured both ACL's and limps because he was unable to have corrective surgery for the torn ACLs
due to his weight. So he can not be taken outdoors to walk or run. It will be a long recovery for him, but his mental status is my
main concern right now. He just sits and stares into space. He does not respond when you call his name. He does not play with his
toys anylonger. There is definitely something wrong.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Maximus is a large Bulldog. He is long for a bulldog. Both of his parents are also large and long. He weighs 83-lbs and he is currently on FROMM Weight Management Dog Food, and he gets 2-cups per day. The 'table food' issue involves me giving him ground lamb or
bison mini-burgers in order to get his medication in him. He is on a lot of meds. Other than that he does not receive any other table food. He is inactive because he injured both ACL's and limps because he was unable to have corrective surgery for the torn ACLs
due to his weight. So he can not be taken outdoors to walk or run. It will be a long recovery for him, but his mental status is my
main concern right now. He just sits and stares into space. He does not respond when you call his name. He does not play with his
toys anylonger. There is definitely something wrong.

What does his Vet say about his depressive state?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Start with weight management. Cut his kibble in half. No more that 1/2 cup of kibble and a whole can of low salt green beans two times a day until you can see a well-defined waistline. Manage his entropion with regular drops until the time is right for correction. Getting weight off of him will help his injured ACLs. As mentioned already...baby steps and NO BACKSLIDING!!! Get that weight off of him, please.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
wow! he's a hefty boy. i know diamond is starting to reach 60 lbs. most weekends we go to a park and i make her run with me for a couple of miles and we go uphill and down hill. i always make sure to turn on the cold water faucet before we do any exercise so she won't hassle as much in the FL heat. i had Diamond soaked one time when it was a cool 76 degrees and 100% humidity and she didn't start hassling until we almost got done. i'm in an ok shape i'm not entirely fit but, i jog with her, do little sprints of flat out runs, and walk when she starts to slow down. that's how i push her and myself. together we can win track day :p:laugh::no:

Good for you to want Diamond to be in good shape. However, bulldogs are short noses,
and many times, very narrow tracheas (throat tubes) all make getting enough air very
difficult and many times in heat & humidity, not enough air intake to cool down. Even
at 76* if humidity is 80% or more, that is dangerous for flat nose breeds to be out and
exercising them is NOT recommended at all except for very early am or late night pm.
Even 'wetted down' is not enough, once a bully overheats it's very hard to save them.
And once overheated, if they survive, they are prone to heat exhaustion.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Unfortunately, this facility does not provide Hydrotherapy. It is predominately Dog Training and Pet Sitting.

DAMN -- I thougt I saw it on there site...... maybe call them and ask if they know of one in the area? I'll keep looking too

codered

Feb 25, 2016
panhandle of Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diamond
Good for you to want Diamond to be in good shape. However, bulldogs are short noses,
and many times, very narrow tracheas (throat tubes) all make getting enough air very
difficult and many times in heat & humidity, not enough air intake to cool down. Even
at 76* if humidity is 80% or more, that is dangerous for flat nose breeds to be out and
exercising them is NOT recommended at all except for very early am or late night pm.
Even 'wetted down' is not enough, once a bully overheats it's very hard to save them.
And once overheated, if they survive, they are prone to heat exhaustion.
i am always careful with diamond, she used to be in the field in the summer so i think she holds up well to the heat. I don't take any chances though. last time she rode with me in my truck i went to sonic and got her a large iced water. she won't drink from the cup so i open her mouth and pour a little in her mouth. to cool her off, it just so happened to be 91*F that day. she was a cool dog ridding in my ram. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1462276360.776509.jpg
if you look closely she's hanging out the window [emoji3] she likes to go mall crawling and obstacle crawling with her dad. my reverse is gone in my truck so i had to go into the field and turn around. got some good pics too [emoji16]

sent from my brick using clay

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.