sbhuller

Apr 28, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Milkha
Hi everyone,

I am a first time poster to the forums. I was looking for some help from the community with my bulldog. I have had him for about 3 months and all of a sudden he has started to get a nasty rash/skin irritation. I have taken him to the vet and got ear drops, shampoo, and a chlorihexidine solution to rub on him. The ear drops are working great and they make him stop wanting to scratch his ears. The interesting thing is it appears the rest of the rash (on his belly and nipples primarily) don't appear to really bother him when I am cleaning or bathing him (maybe he is just putting up with it??). In any case I can see his skin is turning more pinkish then normal. My first guess was yeast infection (since he was some antibiotics for about a month and a half ago). There is no real smell from his ears, or belly so I am not 100% sure it is a yeast infection. I am thinking it is an allergic skin reaction to something so I am slowing trying to determine what it could be:

- I have washed his bedding with tide pods and bounce pads recently (I washed everything today again in just hot water to make sure any detergent was removed) -- hopefully it helps
- I have been giving him peanut butter treats as of a few weeks ago (I stopped that a few days ago to make sure it wasn't an allergic reaction to that)

Everything else is normal, he is playing as usual and his appetite hasn't changed at all.

While I try and figure out what it may be, I figured I would post here on the forum to try and see if anyone else has seen this.

WP_20160428_19_53_00_Rich.jpg

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Hi [MENTION=15821]sbhuller[/MENTION], and welcome to the forum. So sorry Milkha is going through this, poor guy. Was there a change in his food recently? Did he have an ear infection too? i'm just trying to see if there's a relation between the ears and the skin rash...

i'm thinking maybe it's more of a contact dermatitis since it's localized to the belly/nipple area and it sounds like you are doing everything right with washing the bedding. Did the vet give you any ideas on what it could be?

I know there are others here who have gone through similar situations with their bullys so let's wait to hear what others have to say. I'm glad he's doing well otherwise.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
My Harlea had the same issue on the belly. Have your vet do a scrap and check for staph or MRSA. I hope that is not the case for you but it is what Harlea wound up with and it is a pain to get rid of.

OP
S

sbhuller

Apr 28, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Milkha
Hi all,

I will get the vet to check him out. There has been no change in his food, and yep his ears have been itchy (however there is no yeast or smell coming from his ears). The weird thing is sometimes it looks like it is clearing up (in the morning) and then by the evening it is back with a vengeance (very red) and spreads a bit. I am really beginning to think it is grass allergies (or something else outside). What I don't get is he was fine for the longest time playing in the back yard (and he rolled around for in the grass for weeks without any issue) -- then all of a sudden this started (we haven't had anything done to the lawn or even had a change to cut the grass yet).

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi all,

I will get the vet to check him out. There has been no change in his food, and yep his ears have been itchy (however there is no yeast or smell coming from his ears). The weird thing is sometimes it looks like it is clearing up (in the morning) and then by the evening it is back with a vengeance (very red) and spreads a bit. I am really beginning to think it is grass allergies (or something else outside). What I don't get is he was fine for the longest time playing in the back yard (and he rolled around for in the grass for weeks without any issue) -- then all of a sudden this started (we haven't had anything done to the lawn or even had a change to cut the grass yet).

:welcome3: to EBN!

Could very well be environmental.... our boy Lambeau, is an environmental mes.... grass, weeds, dandelions, pigweed, ragweed, and pine trees. What i do is wipe him with a cool cloth after each outing to help lessen the impact. Also, you can give benedyl 1mg per pound up to 3x a day. As Todd stated, have the vet scrape and check for staph/mrsa just to rule it otu

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online