Bristols surgery is today!!

Pennyblossom

Mar 4, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny and Bristol
I am a wreck. I dropped her off at 7am. I had her pre-op appointment yesterday where the surgeon once again went over the nares surgery and and the soft palette resection. She said she would come home with anti nausea drugs and they would monitor whether she would need steroids but no barking, playing, chew toys and only on a leash no free reign activity for two weeks. She is 11 months I know the no playing or chew toys will be torture.
She will be in what they refer to as doggy icu today and tonight and if all goes well we can pick her up tomorrow afternoon.
I know so many of you have been through this and I know it will be better for her but today I am a mess.

UPDATE: Surgeon just called she did fine during surgery. The soft pallet had grown even more since the Intial evaluation and had gotten quite thick so upon resection they did also have to give steroids to reduce the risk of swelling and blocking her airway. But they will have her in icu on watch through tomorrow. They said no visitors today but will call again his evening and then again tomorrow to touch base as to when I can pick her up tomorrow

Last edited:

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=15583]Pennyblossom[/MENTION] Oh jeez, it's always scary! I'm praying for Bristol...and YOU! Please keep us posted. It's awful that you have to be separated for tonight but look forward to tomorrow when you can bring your baby home. Hugs and prayers from Joey and I !

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I don't have experience with this type of surgery, only spay and neuter, but know that any time our babies have surgery and have to be put under anesthetic, we worry and stress. I just wanted to say Bristol will be in good hands, and she will be much better after the surgery. I'm sending you love, hugs and prayers that her surgery goes well, and she has a quick recovery. Please keep us posted on how she's doing. Try not to worry, although I know you will. ❤️🙏

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
My prayers are with you today. Please update when she is out and recovering.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
We've had this surgery done on countless rescues and with a good surgeon that is familiar with bully breeds, it's very routine. I'm not suggesting that you not worry...the worrying is something you cannot control so don't even try. Just know that once she's out of surgery she'll be on the mend and with vastly improved breathing you should see a more active and healthier girl. Best of luck to all!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Prayers and hugs to you today. Try to stay calm. Keep us posted!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sending lots of hugs and prayers that all goes well !! :hug:

OP
Pennyblossom

Pennyblossom

Mar 4, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny and Bristol
Update in first post :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Happy that the surgery went well and they will be monitering her thru the night. Sounds like all went well and she will be home tomorrow. It's a good thing that they keep her to observe for the first night. Prayers for you and your gal that all continues positive!!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Missed this thread but so very grateful her surgery went well
and will pray that Bristol's recovery is quick & uneventful.

Tough to be away from them, give her soft kisses from me
when she gets home <3

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
They said no visitors today but will call again his evening and then again tomorrow to touch base as to when I can pick her up tomorrow
I'm glad the tough part is behind you. They may recommend soft(canned) food for a few days...if they don't, I do. Try to get the canned version of what she normally eats.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Great to hear surgery went well and good that she stays overnight. Castor did that too when he had this kind of surgery.

And yes, soft, or even bland food - boiled rice and boiled chicken/minced meat was what we gave Castor. Good luck!

OP
Pennyblossom

Pennyblossom

Mar 4, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny and Bristol
Thank you for the prayers. She will turn 1 May 30th
She's on canned food now and has been since 6 months when she got spayed and aspirated and got pneumonia and then through the process of finding our her diagnosis. So we will keep her on the canned food probably rolled into little meatballs for awhile after the surgery.
They called tonight and said so far she seems to be doing well. They are fasting her today and will feed her starting tomorrow.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.