My Story on treats and hopefully getting some feedback

LouLanaro

Mar 31, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
Hi All

I started out by buying some chicken jerky strips but made in USA and maybe there was 4 or 5 in a bag very expensive.

I got a dehydrator and made my own jerky with chicken breast/Liver/beef/apples/ground turkey breast extruded and dried
I tried everything

My puppy almost 6 months now does not care what treat he gets as long as he can swallow it in one swoop . There is now chewing just gulp
So the jerky strips and even sweet potato slices ends up logged in his throat having me stick my hand in before he chokes..

What is the best way to go here,,,For now I give him soft treats bite size but maybe when all his teeth are in he will start chewing

regards
Lou

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My Willow is 6 months old as well, and she gobbles everything down… I even have to water down her kibble so she doesn't choke to death. Some bulldogs outgrow this, my Walter has but some are still gobblers. Most treats that I give are in bite sized, and if you want to do crunchy treats make sure to break them up first. One way my trainer showed me is to take a hard treat that you keep your fingers on and let them chew bites off of it to get them to learn to chew their snacks.

Here are some great treat options for puppies besides dog treats...

Make sure ALL of these are cut up in bite sized pieces… apple chunks, carrots, banana w/a small amount of peanut butter, watermelon and cantaloupe. Good luck w/your baby!!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Nyala loves liver that's dehydrated. I buy only made in Canada or USA. I temp to do some in the oven as per recipe. Very thin slice paper thin, 250 degrees for 6hrs. It worked but 3 weeks in the container saw mold. Ohhh no no. Guess it needed to be 7hrs. Im thinking about getting a dehydrator. Start drying, apples, carrots and all what she likes. A lot cheaper to make it. Dehydration machine takes an average of 8-9 hrs so i would dehydrate at night when you're sleeping. I would make sure there's a timer on the machine just in case :)

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
My Tyson also inhales anything we give him. So basically we have to treat him like a child and give him bite size pieces of anything.... I cut almost anything we give him food wise and I only buy him treats small enough to swallow, and preferably soft. We love Fruitables!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Have you tried breaking it up into small pieces? For a dog, it is not about the size of the treat... just that they get one

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, my guys do exactly the same thing, they inhale everything and just swallow. I only give them bite size pieces and soft treats like the Benny Bully's Dried Liver Snaps, Fruitables, or Zekes Peanut Butter treats. They also get bananas, cut up apples, strawberries, and blueberries. You can also give him a piece of his own kibble as a treat, they make a good treat for praising or rewarding because they are small and it's their own food, so you know they won't have a reaction to it. I usually carry a couple of pieces of their kibble in my pocket.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have never even heard Maude chew-I know she has teeth.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.