Pooper scooper
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harley
    Likes (Received)

Default My Story on treats and hopefully getting some feedback

Hi All

I started out by buying some chicken jerky strips but made in USA and maybe there was 4 or 5 in a bag very expensive.

I got a dehydrator and made my own jerky with chicken breast/Liver/beef/apples/ground turkey breast extruded and dried
    I tried everything

My puppy almost 6 months now does not care what treat he gets as long as he can swallow it in one swoop . There is now chewing just gulp
    So the jerky strips and even sweet potato slices ends up logged in his throat having me stick my hand in before he chokes..

What is the best way to go here,,,For now I give him soft treats bite size but maybe when all his teeth are in he will start chewing

regards
    Lou

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My Story on treats and hopefully getting some feedback

My Willow is 6 months old as well, and she gobbles everything down… I even have to water down her kibble so she doesn't choke to death. Some bulldogs outgrow this, my Walter has but some are still gobblers. Most treats that I give are in bite sized, and if you want to do crunchy treats make sure to break them up first. One way my trainer showed me is to take a hard treat that you keep your fingers on and let them chew bites off of it to get them to learn to chew their snacks.

Here are some great treat options for puppies besides dog treats...

Make sure ALL of these are cut up in bite sized pieces… apple chunks, carrots, banana w/a small amount of peanut butter, watermelon and cantaloupe. Good luck w/your baby!!!

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

3. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

Nyala loves liver that's dehydrated. I buy only made in Canada or USA. I temp to do some in the oven as per recipe. Very thin slice paper thin, 250 degrees for 6hrs. It worked but 3 weeks in the container saw mold. Ohhh no no. Guess it needed to be 7hrs. Im thinking about getting a dehydrator. Start drying, apples, carrots and all what she likes. A lot cheaper to make it. Dehydration machine takes an average of 8-9 hrs so i would dehydrate at night when you're sleeping. I would make sure there's a timer on the machine just in case

5. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

My Tyson also inhales anything we give him. So basically we have to treat him like a child and give him bite size pieces of anything.... I cut almost anything we give him food wise and I only buy him treats small enough to swallow, and preferably soft. We love Fruitables!

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

7. Likes Vikinggirl liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Have you tried breaking it up into small pieces? For a dog, it is not about the size of the treat... just that they get one
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

9. Likes oscarmayer liked this post
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi, my guys do exactly the same thing, they inhale everything and just swallow. I only give them bite size pieces and soft treats like the Benny Bully's Dried Liver Snaps, Fruitables, or Zekes Peanut Butter treats. They also get bananas, cut up apples, strawberries, and blueberries. You can also give him a piece of his own kibble as a treat, they make a good treat for praising or rewarding because they are small and it's their own food, so you know they won't have a reaction to it. I usually carry a couple of pieces of their kibble in my pocket.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

I have never even heard Maude chew-I know she has teeth.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Remove Ads