GeorgiaWheezie

Apr 18, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
We brought Georgia home on Friday, and we just love her. I have a few questions:

I am feeding her TOTW grain-free puppy formula that the breeder had her on. I am feeding 2x per day, 3/4 cup each time. However, she's not finishing it all at once. Maybe half at first then a little more 30 min later, etc. Should I give her less but add a feeding? Or is this ok? I am really trying to get her on a schedule.

I noticed this rash on her belly. Is this a food allergy, or from the grass? Is there something I can do for it? We head to the vet tomorrow for the first visit, but wanted to ask here first. :)

belly.JPGbelly2.JPGIMG_1967.JPGIMG_1954.JPGIMG_1971.JPGIMG_1980.JPGIMG_1990.JPG

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
What a sweet face..Congrats..It looks to me like a grass rash,mine get this from Bermuda grass but keep an eye on it.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
What a doll!!!! I would just maybe give her a little less at each feeding. And try rubbing coconut oil on her belly. Mine got the same thing when I brought them home. Probably from the grass. She will break out less, the more she's outside and gets kinda gets used to her new surroundings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
HELLO GEORGIA!! Adorable!!! I can't help on the rash, I'm pretty new, BUT I've tagged some really knowledgeable members and I'm sure they can help.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Aww your new baby is adorable...

First of all pups need to be fed 3 times a day, my Willow is 6 mos and I'm still feeding her on that schedule. You can decrease her feeding to 1/2 cup and add a couple of tablespoons of warm water and let that kibble soak. That will make it easier for her to eat, and get her appetite going. Since you just got her Friday she is just getting used to her new surroundings too, give her time… she will be hungry soon enough.

The rash could be a grass allergy, or maybe a food issue… have you been giving her any treats? Try to stick w/grain-free puppy treats… what type of protein is in TOTW? Most dogs are allergic to chicken, so we try to avoid that. For now you could clean that w/a sensitive baby wipe and add a SMALL amount of gold's bond powder to see if it clears up. I have never used the coconut oil, but many members have… I wouldn't go crazy since you are going to the vets tomorrow.

Keep us posted on how she's doing… we can always use more puppy pics :p

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Georgia is adorable. The rash could be a grass allergy. You can put a baby t-shirt on her and see if it clears up. I agree she should be fed three times a day.

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
To garner interest in food, you can try adding pureed baby food. I would add a small spoonful of chicken baby food to mine when he was young. I later on found out he was allergic to chicken. Food allergies usually show up in the ears and possibly the face. Fezzik's ears were constantly red and yeasty. I switched to a different protein and it disappeared.

Your rash looks like it is environmental (probably because she is so low to the ground). Mine had the same thing when he was a puppy. After going outside, you could try to rub down with a baby wipe (sensitive with no scent or additives) that you have added witch hazel to. The vet will probably prescribe some antibiotics. Desitin also works wonders for red skin and itchy areas. She cant really lick her belly so I would be comfortable putting it on her.

chitownbully

Nov 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
KINGSTON / PRINCE
[MENTION=15779]GeorgiaWheezie[/MENTION], Georgia is such a doll! Thanks for sharing your pics!
As for the rash my pup had this and I cared for it like I would a diaper rash, by rubing an ointment on it, such as destitin, A&D, or Butt Paste, I used the butt paste brand. Rub some of that on it and sprinkled some corn starch on it. I did this daily for about 5 days before it cleared up, usually right before bedtime. I was told most pup do not develop environmental allergies, til their around a yr old, and if she's not showing any other signs of allergies such as scratching, sneezing, etc. than the possibilities of it being her food are probably minimal.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I think someone is smitten with her new little sister :luv:

here is a good guideline to help with feedings:

8 weeks1/2 cup 3 times a day
12 weeks2/3 to 3/4 cup 3 times a day
4 & 5 months3/4 cup 3 times a day
6 months to 1 year1.25 to 1.5 cups twice a day

As for her belly rash, I agree with the others... little bit of desetin should help

OP
G

GeorgiaWheezie

Apr 18, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
Thank you so much for your replies!! I will switch her to 3x a day, and try out the Desitin. :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Everyone gave you great advice :) great idea to up her food intake and if she eats here n there is great too. Free fed is good as they dont pig out. So will not tend to be over weight :)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Everyone's got you covered (as usual).

Just want to welcome y'all to EBN and to add how adorable
these pics are...and your baby bully is precious!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
You are covered well I see! But it does look like some sort of contact allergy. So I would grass, or maybe any bedding, blankets, etc she may be on. A quick wipe down after coming inside works wonders! We use baby wipes :) Good Luck!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online