What age do Bulldogs show signs of Slowing down?

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
I am curious, my Miss Porkchop is approaching her 7th birthday in July. Is there any signs to be aware of? I still look at her as my baby even though I got her at 4 1/2 . She's a rescue and she means the world to me❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
[h=1]The Older Bulldog[/h]
Owners find that at some point their Bulldogs seem to not be the same and wonder what is going on. As with anything that lives, changes take place and things seem to slow down. This section will help explain a little about what is happening for those who have not yet had the experience of an older Bulldog. The older Bulldog is a beautiful dog. He has matured to his golden years and is set in life. He enjoys watching and absorbing what's going on. You should really be proud of him and know the best is yet to come. He will want love from you like you do from him. They are sweet, beautiful, and caring!

Every Bulldog is an individual. His uniqueness will always be a part of his makeup and of the aging process as well. Dogs do not all age in the same fashion, nor do they all age at the same rate. A dog's biological age, in distinction to his chronological age, is a function of his genetic background, the quality of his diet, the presence or absence of disease, and the circumstances in which he lives. Because Bulldogs are not a long-lived group, he can be said to be on the verge of being a senior by the age of seven. If you are a first time owner of an elderly Bulldog you should know that you are the best judge to determine how he is doing in compared to his normal routine and functions. You will know if there is a problem, or something is just not right. After all, you were the one who took him out at 2AM every night until he was house trained, got him the special chew toy, let him sleep in that favorite chair or perhaps on the end of your bed. The passage of time brings on changes.

Sadly, most of these are not for the better. As your dog's metabolism and vitality slow down, his muzzle turns gray, and his coat seems to loose some of that luster it once had, you will then understand that your bullie is reaching the golden years. He is less able to tolerate medicine, less able to regulate body tempature, and less immune to disease. He may also be less able to taste, smell, and hear like he once did. He will require fewer calories now but will still need some daily exercise to be in good condition. What's more, his thyroid, adrenal and pituitary glands, and his pancreas do not secrete hormones the way they once did. He will most likely become less active, sleep more, not want to accept change and may even be a little irritable.

You should also consider switching to semi-annual check up with your vet. Since age can bring arthritis with it, consider changing your Bulldog's food to a senior food which contains glucosamine chondroitin to keep his joints mobile. The best way to prevent problems is to catch them before they become a problem. Your Bullie has given you years of love and fun, and now that he is in his golden years he expects you to do the same for him. After all he was there for you when you needed it and now he needs you to be there for him. A senior Bulldog is a beautiful dog, one that has watched the world go by and seen lots of things with you and your family. He is a family member that is looking foward to many more fun years with your family.

What we want to accomplish with this page is to just let those who have never had the pleasure of an elderly Bulldog understand that there will be changes, what to expect, and why. Now enjoy your bullie as you always have and it's our hope that you have many more wonderful and happy years together.

There are also many senior Bulldogs that can be found at rescues everywhere and they would love to have a second chance with a loving family. Try rescue sometime, its rewarding and the love you will get from a rescue Bulldog can not be explained, its one of the best things you could ever do for a dog. Bulldogs, no matter what their age, are the be

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Six to 8 years is where I've observed a decline in activity; to me, the first sign of entry into senior years. Be a little more aware of her health and weight. Keep loving her like you always have and you both will do just fine. And what Viking girl posted is really good info/advice.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
They are all different, but senior years usually start around 7-8 years of age. Banks even with all her arthritis, she was still very active up to her passing at age 9

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My first bully but in most breeds 7-8 is also the age they all slow down. Days the sprint, days they just want to be potato couch. It's not just the bully. Just got to feed them the proper food, oils, walks, vets checkups maybe every 6 months instead yrly and lots n lots n lots of huggable love. :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.