Couple of questions

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Hi everyone I've been missing form here for a bit thankfully George has been well but as always issues are arising for me.
Firstly I've heard people saying that their dogs are now out of crates. How do you know when they might be finished with a crate? I ask because George has started to destroy his beds in the crate even when it's open and he can get out and walk around but only when he is at home alone and I'm working. He's always fed has water and lots of toys at these times.
He is also becoming less tolerant of visitors to the house which is rather difficult. It's ok for a while say 20/30 mins then he just gets mad at them and pretty much runs them out of the place.
His digging is worse than ever and I refuse to believe he is bored as the last time it happened I had just played swing ball and fetch and brought him for a 40 min walk and he came home and went straight out and dug a hole. He couldn't have been bored!
Any help or suggestions are always appreciated thanks.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
hi Olive!

Digging.... could just be he likes to do this so you may have to work on training him to 'leave it' on your command. My banks LOVED to dig, but we did have her trained to 'leave it' took quite a while to get there, but we finally did.

Crate --- when not at home, it is always best to have them crate for their own safety. Right now, Lambeau and Cheli are in their own crates if we are not at home...... we did however leave Banks free to roam the house, but in hind-sight, I wish I hadn't as I still think it may have been a possible result in her passing -- will never know, but I always think it did because her cause of death was internal bleeding due to some type of trauma and we have no clue what that trauma could have been. Only thing we can think of is she fell off the bed or sofa when we were not at home. Due to that, which again, I'll never know, I will not leave our current babies out of crate alone. Paranoid, maybe, but safe non-the-less.

Visitors -- how much socialization is he getting with other dogs and people?

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
hi Olive!

Digging.... could just be he likes to do this so you may have to work on training him to 'leave it' on your command. My banks LOVED to dig, but we did have her trained to 'leave it' took quite a while to get there, but we finally did.

Crate --- when not at home, it is always best to have them crate for their own safety. Right now, Lambeau and Cheli are in their own crates if we are not at home...... we did however leave Banks free to roam the house, but in hind-sight, I wish I hadn't as I still think it may have been a possible result in her passing -- will never know, but I always think it did because her cause of death was internal bleeding due to some type of trauma and we have no clue what that trauma could have been. Only thing we can think of is she fell off the bed or sofa when we were not at home. Due to that, which again, I'll never know, I will not leave our current babies out of crate alone. Paranoid, maybe, but safe non-the-less.

Visitors -- how much socialization is he getting with other dogs and people?
Hi there thank you for the reply.
I have tried the leave it training he just becomes aggressive but I will have to keep trying I guess. I think you are right though he likes digging it's not boredom.
The crate thing I do keep him locked in when I am out in the morning. He goes to bed at 9 pm ( his idea not mine) he just goes in at that time we get him out at roughly 6.15 am to the bathroom and he has a little snack so that just over 9 hours. I come home at 11 for an hour and he is out for that and has his meal. Then I leave at 12 and leave the crate open this is when he does the damage usually. I'm so sorry that your bully may have done fatal damage from being out of a crate it's so sad ��. George can't really fall as there are no chairs or anything he can get up on he only has access to the floor space and the open crate I remove everything in his reach. But I take your point I am just afraid that leaving him locked in the crate that long is cruel. I am still unable to leave the house once I am home from work as I don't feel it's good for him to be in the crate any longer than necessary it is interfering with my life but it's the responsibility I took on and I chose to he didn't.
He is great with people outside the house and he is much calmer with other dogs since he has been neutered but in saying that he doesn't get much time with other dogs as other dog owners here seem to be all afraid to let their dogs greet other dogs a few do and as I say he's quite good and as I say people outside the house he's fine with.
It sounds like I can't control him but he is so good in so many ways we can walk him off leash he stays right by us (I only do this on country paths not near roads) I can put his food down and he waits for my command to eat so I am making progress but he likes his solitude and it seems to me that visitors just annoy him, and that's not good. I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself very well sorry if I sound muddled.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
I keep my crates open except night time, they also have beds in the living room. What I v found is when the want a break from US they leave there bed and chose the crate.

Bulldogs hate noise, steel tin and a few coins in it, when they start to get naughty shake the tin, they will stop and a firm no.
If noise isn't there weakness. A little water gun won't go a miss.

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
I do keep the crate open that's when he destroys his beds.
No noise is not his thing he gets scared once then he gets used to it. The water will have to be tried though I just hate the thought of everywhere being wet cause he would need a lot of spraying he gets very angry.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
I do keep the crate open that's when he destroys his beds.
No noise is not his thing he gets scared once then he gets used to it. The water will have to be tried though I just hate the thought of everywhere being wet cause he would need a lot of spraying he gets very angry.

Ha if he canny be trusted lock the door, if he's ok with water put a bit of lemon juice in it to make it bitter

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
We always crate. It's not cruel at all. Most of the time when I get home I quietly enter the Den(AKA the bully room) and find all the babes fast asleep. So for most bullies, crate time means snooze time. We have one bully now that destroys beds in the crate so she gets no bed and sleeps just fine on the plastic tray.

As far as running off visitors is concerned...I have ZERO experience with this behavior. I'd simply separate them from him while they visit as much as practical.

The digging...oh, the digging. Only 2 of the many hundreds of personal and rescue bullies has ever shown interest in digging and I end up with both of them.
Smedley, loved to stay outside and could tolerate intense heat like no other bully I've seen. He would, however, get a little too hot every now and then and he'd go dig a hole and lay in it...usually under a bush. After 10 minutes or so, he be back on the deck sleeping in the sun. He refused to come in doors and if we made him he would protest loudly. Truly and anomaly.

Pippy is our current digger. She goes outside and does her biz and then runs for the rose garden and gets to work. She's dug holes a foot deep. She's dug trenches nearly 20 feet in length winding through the roses. Her paws are permanently stained from digging. There's no stopping her so we don't even try...she's just plain ole CRAZY! I wish I could be of more help.

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Ah ok knowing my luck he'll love lemon juice cause I bought that ant chew bitter Apple spray for the furniture and he just loved it sat licking it off ��

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
We always crate. It's not cruel at all. Most of the time when I get home I quietly enter the Den(AKA the bully room) and find all the babes fast asleep. So for must bullies, crate time means snooze time. We have one bully now that destroys beds in the crate so she gets no bed and sleeps just fine on the plastic tray.

As far as running off visitors is concerned...I have ZERO experience with this behavior. I'd simply separate them from him while they visit as much as practical.

The digging...oh, the digging. Only 2 of the many hundreds of personal and rescue bullies has ever shown interest in digging and I end up with both of them.
Smedley, loved to stay outside and could tolerate intense heat like no other bully I've seen. He would, however, get a little too hot every now and then and he'd go dig a hole and lay in it...usually under a bush. After 10 minutes or so, he be back on the deck sleeping in the sun. He refused to come in doors and if we made him he would protest loudly. Truly and anomaly.

Pippy is our current digger. She goes outside and does her biz and then runs for the rose garden and gets to work. She's dug holes a foot deep. She's dug trenches nearly 20 feet in length winding through the roses. Her paws are permanently stained from digging. There's no stopping her so we don't even try...she's just plain ole CRAZY! I wish I could be of more help.
Aww thank you.
When I said cruel it's just how I feel it is the dog always appears to be very happy in his crate so it's me putting human emotions on the dog but I can't help that. I'm not in any way saying that it is cruel and out crate is large so he can stand up and walk he has water and toys it's just my head doesn't get it. I also feel after work I can't go out again because he's already been I the crate so long and this is getting to be a problem. My family wanted to go for a meal for my daughters and my birthday and I said I couldn't go as I couldn't leave the dog, they aren't happy with me now.
The digging is crazy but your garden sounds lovely and I imagine it's dry for most of the year. My garden is like a mud bath we have had constant rain here in Ireland for months and he is completely destroyed when he digs believe me wet muck is no fun everyday maybe twice a day to be washing off and he gets so agressive when we have to clean him up and I hate that it ends in a fight with him. I totally get your point though some of them just like to dig and that's that.
Your babies look very cute and I'll bet they are loads of fun.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I understand your concern about crating the dog too much… I stay at home, but I'm in/out most of the day especially in the mornings. IMO dogs LOVE their crates… all of my dogs have been crate trained, and you know they are safe when you leave the house.

I have been making a mistake w/my two… I crate Willow when I'm gone, and leave Wally free to roam. NOW I'm thinking that the thinks he's the KING because my dog sitter (who has their crates side by side) told me that Wally would snap at Willow's side of the crate at night. I need to start slowly introducing him back to basics training… somebody is SPOILED!!!

Anyhoo… when I know that I'm going out in the evening and need to crate them (or Willow) again I will have a short play session right before we go. My two love to play fetch or tug-of-war… I just try to get that energy out, and normally they are ready to get into their crates for a snooze. Or you could take him for a short walk… anything to get some exercise in. Don't refuse to spend time w/family & friends because of your dog… you can keep everyone happy w/a little pre-planning.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
he gets so agressive when we have to clean him up and I hate that it ends in a fight with him.

Olive.... can you explain this statement, please? I am wondering if it is aggressive or he is protesting?

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
I understand your concern about crating the dog too much… I stay at home, but I'm in/out most of the day especially in the mornings. IMO dogs LOVE their crates… all of my dogs have been crate trained, and you know they are safe when you leave the house.

I have been making a mistake w/my two… I crate Willow when I'm gone, and leave Wally free to roam. NOW I'm thinking that the thinks he's the KING because my dog sitter (who has their crates side by side) told me that Wally would snap at Willow's side of the crate at night. I need to start slowly introducing him back to basics training… somebody is SPOILED!!!

Anyhoo… when I know that I'm going out in the evening and need to crate them (or Willow) again I will have a short play session right before we go. My two love to play fetch or tug-of-war… I just try to get that energy out, and normally they are ready to get into their crates for a snooze. Or you could take him for a short walk… anything to get some exercise in. Don't refuse to spend time w/family & friends because of your dog… you can keep everyone happy w/a little pre-planning.
Thank you I had a trial fun yesterday I had to go out for less than 10 mins just to pick up something and gave him a small treat to get in his crate and he seemed happy enough when I got back. We had just been for a walk and he had played quite a bit in the garden up to that so it wasn't difficult to get him in.
So I've made plans to go out for the family dinner in 2 weeks time we will see how it goes. My other worry is when I get back what's going to happen. I will be getting back around his normal bedtime do I take him out for some excercise or just let him out for a while in the house with us? But I know I will want to go to bed fairly soon after getting back.

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Olive.... can you explain this statement, please? I am wondering if it is aggressive or he is protesting?

I will try. So he comes in all mucky paws and face so bad I have to get a flannel and some soapy water as a baby wipe just won't do in this instance (although he doesn't like them much either) as I start to wipe the flannel on his paws he tries to bite it and as a result my hand (I understand that he just sees the flannel) so I take it away and then he launches an attack jumping up all four legs off the ground he nips at my thigh and makes contact, which can be very sore, sometimes it's the calf of the leg or he tries for an arm. He is growling in a very low but nasty way. There is no way to get control of him as if I try to get his collar he can twist in his jump and go for the arm and I am so afraid he will hurt himself badly doing this. It's not possible to get his lead on either as he's in a frenzy about the flannel. I have no idea how to get him indoor ready from his digging other than to wash him.
This is not going on all day or anything just when it's something he doesn't like and when he gets tired he bites your feet and it can lead to a jumping attack if you don't act quickly.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Thank you I had a trial fun yesterday I had to go out for less than 10 mins just to pick up something and gave him a small treat to get in his crate and he seemed happy enough when I got back. We had just been for a walk and he had played quite a bit in the garden up to that so it wasn't difficult to get him in.
So I've made plans to go out for the family dinner in 2 weeks time we will see how it goes. My other worry is when I get back what's going to happen. I will be getting back around his normal bedtime do I take him out for some excercise or just let him out for a while in the house with us? But I know I will want to go to bed fairly soon after getting back.

When we get home late like that, we let the dogs out for a little bit and then we do our routine and head to bed. Normally they don't give me any trouble...

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I will try. So he comes in all mucky paws and face so bad I have to get a flannel and some soapy water as a baby wipe just won't do in this instance (although he doesn't like them much either) as I start to wipe the flannel on his paws he tries to bite it and as a result my hand (I understand that he just sees the flannel) so I take it away and then he launches an attack jumping up all four legs off the ground he nips at my thigh and makes contact, which can be very sore, sometimes it's the calf of the leg or he tries for an arm. He is growling in a very low but nasty way. There is no way to get control of him as if I try to get his collar he can twist in his jump and go for the arm and I am so afraid he will hurt himself badly doing this. It's not possible to get his lead on either as he's in a frenzy about the flannel. I have no idea how to get him indoor ready from his digging other than to wash him.
This is not going on all day or anything just when it's something he doesn't like and when he gets tired he bites your feet and it can lead to a jumping attack if you don't act quickly.

it sounds more to me that he is wanting to 'play' .... I would place him on lead before you begin cleaning him so you can control the behavior. also, make him sit and praise him when he stays in place, just a nice pet with 'good boy'.... talk soft and positive tone while cleaning him and keep treats nearby for bribing him. see if that helps at all.... you can also try to get him to lay when cleaning... that might lessen the jumping too

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.