Real Name
    jimmy
    Country
    Scotland .
    Bulldog(s) Names
    diesel - paisley & nula
    Likes (Received)

Default Breed or not

I have a dilemma, my 2 year old has just come into season. The main reason I got Paisley and Nula was to breed them with diesel. As most of you know I lost diesel 11 month ago, it happened pretty quick and because he was 2 1/2 I was unprepared to loose him at an early age.
    I have got in contact with diesels dad who is willing to stud.

I breed dogs and I know what am doing but If I lost Paisley thro pregnancy I would be devistated.

Any thoughts

2. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Breed or not

hey Jimmy! Such a risk even having not lost your handsome boy.... I have no experience and do not know anything of what it takes to handle, but I am sure you are hesitant due to the sudden loss of Diesel. I know I would be... I'd be the biggest over protective person in the world.

I will tag those that have breeding experience and can help with some of their insight.

best of luck in your decision.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

4. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
    Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Awww, my dear friend, such a dilemma and one I get.
    Just thinking of your loss of Diesel and how it happened,
    you & your family's heartache, brings tears to my eyes.

I know this, fear should never make our decisions in life.
    But, the reality is that sometimes, it does and it takes
    real courage to ignore the fear and keep walking thru it.
    I think you are a very brave man, Jimmy.

Hopefully the breeders here can advise you best. For me,
    I don't know what you should decide but I'll pray over you.

Sending you all my Texas love...BIG love!

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

6. Likes 2BullyMama, Vikinggirl, jimmyjj, Cali Doll liked this post
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)

I understand it's a hard decision I would probably not... but I have zero experience. It is always a risk, but basically everything in life is, whatever you decide I wish you the very best of luck
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.

8. Likes Vikinggirl, jimmyjj liked this post
    ink-a-licious redhead bully mama Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
    Likes (Received)

Wellllll, we have two issues here really. One the risk to your girls during pregnancy and the other your risk to your girls going through heats unbred which could result in pyometra. As you know, my goal was to breed Bertha and Arnold, but the moon and stars never aligned. About a week after her last heat (very early for pymometra), Dean noticed discharge from her vagina. It was thick and purulent. I knew immediately in my heart what it was. Thankfully her cervix was still open, so we noticed it right away, With closed pyometra, the signs show a lot later in the infection and are imminent. She had to have a stat hysterectomy. My point being, I personally think you need to chose which way you want to go, breed or no breed, for the health of your girls.
    You have a lot of support in England, between your breeder and other friends, to help you breeding. But it is a lot of work, not like your ankle biters, and your beautiful girls could be at risk. You have my support either way.

I'm a good girl, I promise

10. Likes Texas Carol, jimmyjj, bullmama liked this post
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

I don't have any experience with breeding any dogs, and know that breeding a bulldog is much more involved and can be risky. You mentioned you have experience with breeding, and know what you are doing, so I know you will put much thought into this and make an informed decision as to what is best for you and Paisley. You are a great Bully Dad and wouldn't put her in any danger. I think that if you talk to your vet and have her checked out, and he says she is healthy enough to become pregnant and carry a litter, and you work with Diesel's Breeder who also has experience it should be safe and okay. I just wanted to say I know you will make an informed decision and will decide what is right for you. Just wanted to send you love, hugs and prayers that everything works out for you and good luck, in whatever decision you make.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

12. Likes Texas Carol, jimmyjj liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Unfortunately there always is a risk of loosing a bitch to pregnancy, can't tell you any different. Then you can loose puppies as well. If Diesel had the problem as my Usko which I think he did, have you tested your girls for HUU?

14. Likes 2BullyMama, Texas Carol, jimmyjj liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Dear @jimmyjj When I got Maude, I was thinking of breeding her, when she was old enough. My vet has a handsome male,and he agreed on my plan. The closer it got to the right age, I started to worry about every possible thing that could go wrong. Even though I trust my vet completely. I, too lost two of my dogs fairly recently-and so I had Maude spayed. Doesn't the owner Of deisel's sire,breed his anymore? The decision is all up to you, and I think you have to go with your gut feeling. We all support you,no matter your decision! I know it is a difficult one. After the fact,now I wish I HAD bred--but so it goes!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

16. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
    agingermom's minion and cabana boy Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    jimmy
    Country
    Scotland .
    Bulldog(s) Names
    diesel - paisley & nula
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RiiSi View Post
    Unfortunately there always is a risk of loosing a bitch to pregnancy, can't tell you any different. Then you can loose puppies as well. If Diesel had the problem as my Usko which I think he did, have you tested your girls for HUU?
    All been tested and ready to rock and roll. It's from a different breeder, but fair point

18. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Well this does tug at my heartstrings...

My hubby was determined to breed our Bella, which we did… and we lost her after her spay I was never on board to do it in the first place, but it was something the hubby really wanted to do. We ended up losing Bella and Winston in surgery, and then Wellie we had to put down because of severe deformities. I guess what I'm REALLY trying to say is that anything we do with these dogs comes w/a risk. Even just owning a bulldog carries it's own sets of worries, more so than other dog breeds.

Whenever I'm faced w/a BIG dilemma like this I write a list of pros/cons and be honest. You have to decide if you can handle the risk, I KNOW how hard it was for you to lose Diesel especially when you already had a plan in place for him. Do you have a vet that you completely trust now? That was the biggest issue for us at that time… AND don't forget this will affect your entire family… your girls included. I think if you do some serious soul searching you will discover your answer. I think you would be a great breeder, and God KNOWS you would have us here to help you out.

I will support whatever decision you make Jimmy… you know we always have your back!!!

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Harvey's Executive Assistant Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harvey Specter
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    Well this does tug at my heartstrings...

My hubby was determined to breed our Bella, which we did… and we lost her after her spay I was never on board to do it in the first place, but it was something the hubby really wanted to do. We ended up losing Bella and Winston in surgery, and then Wellie we had to put down because of severe deformities. I guess what I'm REALLY trying to say is that anything we do with these dogs comes w/a risk. Even just owning a bulldog carries it's own sets of worries, more so than other dog breeds.

Whenever I'm faced w/a BIG dilemma like this I write a list of pros/cons and be honest. You have to decide if you can handle the risk, I KNOW how hard it was for you to lose Diesel especially when you already had a plan in place for him. Do you have a vet that you completely trust now? That was the biggest issue for us at that time… AND don't forget this will affect your entire family… your girls included. I think if you do some serious soul searching you will discover your answer. I think you would be a great breeder, and God KNOWS you would have us here to help you out.

I will support whatever decision you make Jimmy… you know we always have your back!!!
    This is the Best advice.
    In the end you have to compare the risk/reward relationship. You take big risks but reap big rewards as well.
    Hug your bully today

21. Likes ddnene, 2BullyMama, Texas Carol liked this post
    ink-a-licious redhead bully mama Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post

I'm a good girl, I promise

23. Likes harveyspecter, ddnene, 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads