agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
I have a dilemma, my 2 year old has just come into season. The main reason I got Paisley and Nula was to breed them with diesel. As most of you know I lost diesel 11 month ago, it happened pretty quick and because he was 2 1/2 I was unprepared to loose him at an early age.
I have got in contact with diesels dad who is willing to stud.

I breed dogs and I know what am doing but If I lost Paisley thro pregnancy I would be devistated.

Any thoughts

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
hey Jimmy! Such a risk even having not lost your handsome boy.... I have no experience and do not know anything of what it takes to handle, but I am sure you are hesitant due to the sudden loss of Diesel. I know I would be... I'd be the biggest over protective person in the world.

I will tag those that have breeding experience and can help with some of their insight.

best of luck in your decision.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Awww, my dear friend, such a dilemma and one I get.
Just thinking of your loss of Diesel and how it happened,
you & your family's heartache, brings tears to my eyes.

I know this, fear should never make our decisions in life.
But, the reality is that sometimes, it does and it takes
real courage to ignore the fear and keep walking thru it.
I think you are a very brave man, Jimmy.

Hopefully the breeders here can advise you best. For me,
I don't know what you should decide but I'll pray over you.

Sending you all my Texas love...BIG love!

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I understand it's a hard decision:unsure: I would probably not... but I have zero experience. It is always a risk, but basically everything in life is, whatever you decide I wish you the very best of luck:hug:

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
Wellllll, we have two issues here really. One the risk to your girls during pregnancy and the other your risk to your girls going through heats unbred which could result in pyometra. As you know, my goal was to breed Bertha and Arnold, but the moon and stars never aligned. About a week after her last heat (very early for pymometra), Dean noticed discharge from her vagina. It was thick and purulent. I knew immediately in my heart what it was. Thankfully her cervix was still open, so we noticed it right away, With closed pyometra, the signs show a lot later in the infection and are imminent. She had to have a stat hysterectomy. My point being, I personally think you need to chose which way you want to go, breed or no breed, for the health of your girls.
You have a lot of support in England, between your breeder and other friends, to help you breeding. But it is a lot of work, not like your ankle biters, and your beautiful girls could be at risk. You have my support either way.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I don't have any experience with breeding any dogs, and know that breeding a bulldog is much more involved and can be risky. You mentioned you have experience with breeding, and know what you are doing, so I know you will put much thought into this and make an informed decision as to what is best for you and Paisley. You are a great Bully Dad and wouldn't put her in any danger. I think that if you talk to your vet and have her checked out, and he says she is healthy enough to become pregnant and carry a litter, and you work with Diesel's Breeder who also has experience it should be safe and okay. I just wanted to say I know you will make an informed decision and will decide what is right for you. Just wanted to send you love, hugs and prayers that everything works out for you and good luck, in whatever decision you make.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Unfortunately there always is a risk of loosing a bitch to pregnancy, can't tell you any different. Then you can loose puppies as well. If Diesel had the problem as my Usko which I think he did, have you tested your girls for HUU?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Dear [MENTION=6047]jimmyjj[/MENTION] When I got Maude, I was thinking of breeding her, when she was old enough. My vet has a handsome male,and he agreed on my plan. The closer it got to the right age, I started to worry about every possible thing that could go wrong. Even though I trust my vet completely. I, too lost two of my dogs fairly recently-and so I had Maude spayed. Doesn't the owner Of deisel's sire,breed his anymore? The decision is all up to you, and I think you have to go with your gut feeling. We all support you,no matter your decision! I know it is a difficult one. After the fact,now I wish I HAD bred--but so it goes!

OP
jimmyjj

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Unfortunately there always is a risk of loosing a bitch to pregnancy, can't tell you any different. Then you can loose puppies as well. If Diesel had the problem as my Usko which I think he did, have you tested your girls for HUU?

All been tested and ready to rock and roll. It's from a different breeder, but fair point

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Well this does tug at my heartstrings...

My hubby was determined to breed our Bella, which we did… and we lost her after her spay :*( I was never on board to do it in the first place, but it was something the hubby really wanted to do. We ended up losing Bella and Winston in surgery, and then Wellie we had to put down because of severe deformities. I guess what I'm REALLY trying to say is that anything we do with these dogs comes w/a risk. Even just owning a bulldog carries it's own sets of worries, more so than other dog breeds.

Whenever I'm faced w/a BIG dilemma like this I write a list of pros/cons and be honest. You have to decide if you can handle the risk, I KNOW how hard it was for you to lose Diesel especially when you already had a plan in place for him. Do you have a vet that you completely trust now? That was the biggest issue for us at that time… AND don't forget this will affect your entire family… your girls included. I think if you do some serious soul searching you will discover your answer. I think you would be a great breeder, and God KNOWS you would have us here to help you out.

I will support whatever decision you make Jimmy… you know we always have your back!!!

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Well this does tug at my heartstrings...

My hubby was determined to breed our Bella, which we did… and we lost her after her spay :*( I was never on board to do it in the first place, but it was something the hubby really wanted to do. We ended up losing Bella and Winston in surgery, and then Wellie we had to put down because of severe deformities. I guess what I'm REALLY trying to say is that anything we do with these dogs comes w/a risk. Even just owning a bulldog carries it's own sets of worries, more so than other dog breeds.

Whenever I'm faced w/a BIG dilemma like this I write a list of pros/cons and be honest. You have to decide if you can handle the risk, I KNOW how hard it was for you to lose Diesel especially when you already had a plan in place for him. Do you have a vet that you completely trust now? That was the biggest issue for us at that time… AND don't forget this will affect your entire family… your girls included. I think if you do some serious soul searching you will discover your answer. I think you would be a great breeder, and God KNOWS you would have us here to help you out.

I will support whatever decision you make Jimmy… you know we always have your back!!!

This is the Best advice.:yes:
In the end you have to compare the risk/reward relationship. You take big risks but reap big rewards as well.

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
My first bulldog Dixie was bred twice and didn't have issues either time other than her beating up on the stud and she didn't take up with her first litter because she was spoiled and they were getting more attention. The second litter she did well and was very protective the pups and anyone outside of close family who she had smelled on the pups she hated for the next 8 years.

The guy who did the breeding was the same guy I bought her from. He had two females and three males after he kept one of the males he kept as the stud fee. He did all the work of getting her bred which was mating the dogs twice and artificial insemination 3 times if i remember correctly.

She had her last litter and was spayed at 3 years and lived to be 11 so I don't think it their was any harm done by breeding her.

Chunky will get cut as soon as the vet says he thinks its time and I have already asked about it.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sounds like you are ready to go, so the main question I have is do you have the time and energy? You already know the risks so whether you can believe and trust your vet is invaluable. I will send you a link via pm that can hopefully help you with your decision, because I don't want to give you a bias answer since you are a great friend, and it is something I wrote to the 'general' population regarding breeding. Let me know what you decide, because you have my support. I'm also very glad you asked!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.