Question about allergies and reactions

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
So, it's tick season, and we have acres and acres of woods behind our house--so we have ticks. Frith has already been proven sensitive to Nexguard flea and tick, because of that we just tried a Seresto collar--three days and she is wheezing and vomiting. Not good. I have removed the collar and have bathed her. She vomited, and then shook for about an hour (wrapped in two blankets). Right now she is sleeping and congestion has died down. Energy levels have not returned, but I think they will.

I am beginning to think she is allergic to tick medications (pesticides in general). Has anyone experienced anything like this, and if so how do I keep ticks away? I have read the coconut oil suggestion (honestly it sounds messy--but I will try anything at this point). Her diet is really strict--so I know it is the collar.

Bulldogs--teaching the world to be organic one household at a time.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I would not let her roam in the woods in the summer. I always sprayed my dogs and horses with Avon Skin So Soft bath oil(mixed with a little water)when they were going to be outside for a little while. It keeps the flies off,too. That would be gentle on her, if she is very sensitive. I don't trust the seresto-heard bad reactions.

OP
Frith

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
I would not let her roam in the woods in the summer. I always sprayed my dogs and horses with Avon Skin So Soft bath oil(mixed with a little water)when they were going to be outside for a little while. It keeps the flies off,too. That would be gentle on her, if she is very sensitive. I don't trust the seresto-heard bad reactions.

Thank you--I have heard that Avon SSS was a great mosquito repellant, didn't think to water it down for a bug spray.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
I just read that apple cider vinegar wards fleas and ticks away. It said to make a spray and just mist your dog before they go out. Might be worth a try.. cheap and natural. Gl!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] has a natural mix too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
We use Revolution for Fleas, ticks, Mange and Heartworm prevention, but I saw this article a couple of years ago for natural Tick repellent.

Here is the Link.

Easy, Natural Tick Repellent That Really Works - Primally Inspired

OR

1. Combine 1 cup water, ½ cup apple cider vinegar, and 6 to 10 drops of geranium or lavender essential oil in a spray bottle. This tick repellent can be sprayed on clothing, your pet's fur, your skin, and your lawn.[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.541176)]Apr 16, 2012[/COLOR]

Fight Ticks, Lyme Disease with Natural Tick Repellents - ...

www.emaxhealth.com › fight-ticks-lyme-...

OP
Frith

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
Thank you all, this give me hope. Our ticks are bad enough, we can get one walking to the car. The deer graze in the front yard. I will start shopping.

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
Thank you all, this give me hope. Our ticks are bad enough, we can get one walking to the car. The deer graze in the front yard. I will start shopping.

Oh and be sure to treat your yard even the tall grass. I use "Bug b gone" and it seems to really help. Also if you are really "country" you can get a few chickens or ducks, they LOVE to eat ticks :-)

OP
Frith

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
Oh and be sure to treat your yard even the tall grass. I use "Bug b gone" and it seems to really help. Also if you are really "country" you can get a few chickens or ducks, they LOVE to eat ticks :-)

We are beyond really country, and we were told to order guinea hen keets (they apparently hunt snakes and mice too). This is our first year here, so we shall see. I will look into the BbG too. Thank you.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We are beyond really country, and we were told to order guinea hen keets (they apparently hunt snakes and mice too). This is our first year here, so we shall see. I will look into the BbG too. Thank you.

Yep... Where we got all our Bulldogs from, the breeder lives in the woods and has guinea hens.. And they have no flea or tick issues at all

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We steep 6 lemons for about 2 hours, strain it in to a bottle and add lavender oil to it to spray on the girls. It has worked well for us over the years. They smell nice to boot.

OP
Frith

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
We use Revolution for Fleas, ticks, Mange and Heartworm prevention, but I saw this article a couple of years ago for natural Rick repellent.

Here is the Link.

Easy, Natural Tick Repellent That Really Works - Primally Inspired

OR

1. Combine 1 cup water, ½ cup apple cider vinegar, and 6 to 10 drops of geranium or lavender essential oil in a spray bottle. This tick repellent can be sprayed on clothing, your pet's fur, your skin, and your lawn.[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.541176)]Apr 16, 2012[/COLOR]

Fight Ticks, Lyme Disease with Natural Tick Repellents - ...

www.emaxhealth.com › fight-ticks-lyme-...
Tried this apple cider combo, we were in the woods for about an hour. Nothing, not one. My husband brought one in, but not the dog. (we forgot to spray the husband)

OP
Frith

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
We steep 6 lemons for about 2 hours, strain it in to a bottle and add lavender oil to it to spray on the girls. It has worked well for us over the years. They smell nice to boot.

We Will have to try that one too. The vinegar works, but is kinda smelly. Thank you.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.