KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Woke up and Fezzik is itching and covered with bumps. The vet isn't open yet so I would love advice. I gave him 1 25mg of Benadryl this morning. The bumps are not red that I can see and are on his back and belly but not the face. His breathing is ok and his face does not appear swollen.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Vet told me long ago that an adult Bulldog can tolerate 4 Benadryl twice a day. However, when treating the itchies we usually opt for 2 Benadryl twice a day.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Woke up and Fezzik is itching and covered with bumps. The vet isn't open yet so I would love advice. I gave him 1 25mg of Benadryl this morning. The bumps are not red that I can see and are on his back and belly but not the face. His breathing is ok and his face does not appear swollen.

you can give 1 mg per pound of bully up to 3x a day.... Lambeau is 52 lbs so I give him 2 pills twice a day and a 3rd dose if really necessary

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=15285]KimDe[/MENTION] It sounds like Fezzik got bitten by something. If he doesn't get more hives, and his face doesn't swell,breathing okay-the benedryl should do the trick.

Kimberlie

Aug 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Hudson Nash & Milton Virgil
My vet just prescribed Zyrtec
Just the regular kind -not the D!!

One pill a day 10mg.
I've been doing a half and it's amazing

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I ended up taking him to the vet because his face and jowls were swollen. He is on 20mg of Prednisone for the next 5 days or so. We already had an accident in the house with the increased urine output. I will also be giving him Benadryl for the next couple of days until the swelling and hives dissipate. Poor baby he would not let me be all day. The vet thought it was probably a bite or sting.

I will see if it returns after he is off the meds. I hope not. At least he is better and playing with his toys now.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I ended up taking him to the vet because his face and jowls were swollen. He is on 20mg of Prednisone for the next 5 days or so. We already had an accident in the house with the increased urine output. I will also be giving him Benadryl for the next couple of days until the swelling and hives dissipate. Poor baby he would not let me be all day. The vet thought it was probably a bite or sting.

I will see if it returns after he is off the meds. I hope not. At least he is better and playing with his toys now.

Ugh.... Hope it doesn't come back. This happened to Banks twice and we never knew why, but figured it was a bite, sting or she touched a tree she was allergic to as they were in the yards at our townhouse

Good luck

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Uggh he slept so soundly he wet the bed and didn't want to wake up for breakfast. At least I've learned to only give him sheets in his crate since he chews on mats.

Thanks for all the help. I also made that spray i saw with green tea and apple cider vinegar. That along with an oatmeal bath and benadryl helped the itch but not the swelling.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yeah... I hate all the side effects of predisone---- but as a last resort it is a necessary evil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=15285]KimDe[/MENTION] Martha is allergic to stings, and of course she chases wasps! I keep the pred.andbenedryl on hand-just in case. Maude got quite a spider bite. You never know what is gonna' happen next! Always sompthin'!!

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Before Benadryl kicked in
Fezz hives.jpg

After itchy spray rub and Benadryl kicked in
Fezz sleeping.jpg