How do you handle a trained dog and an untrained puppy?

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I want a second dog so bad. I want a huge dog (Mastiff or Great Dane), but neither would fit in my car. :D I have always loved big dogs! As you might know, Bella loves all dogs, but she does so great with huge dogs because she plays so hard...and they're much more tolerant of that.

Anyways, my main question is, how do you deal with having a trained dog and an untrained puppy? Does the older dog regress with having a puppy peeing in the house? Does the puppy learn faster because it learns from the older dog?

Bella was so easy to housetrain because she's so smart. I'd hope she wouldn't regress or become confused.

Would Bella be jealous if I take the other dog outside more because they would require more exercise, and they'd be more heat-tolerant?

Also, I wonder if having a puppy-brother would eliminate her psychosis when we see other dogs outside... :whistle:

This is all very early research on my part. I have no money for a new puppy, but I'd like to be prepared when the situation is right.

image.jpg

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
I currently have 4 dogs: 6 year old, 5 year old, almost 3 years old (curly) and then my Great Dane pup.

With the experiences I had, I honestly would say it depends on the dog. Our second to oldest learned everything from our oldest dog. We barely had to house break her, she just watched and followed.

We hope things would be like that for curly but he was so stubborn that he refused to do anything the older two did.

Now with the Great Dane puppy (you may have read my other thread in which curly attacked him), my girl dog, the second to oldest, has taken an interest in training him - she sometimes will bark at him when he is doing something wrong. I don't think the Great Dane is very smart though - or he is just very young because he doesn't seem to get commands as quickly as the other dogs did

Anyhow in short, I really think it depends on the dog...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
With Bella being so much a reminder to me of Banks.... I will tell you this, get a male puppy of any breed and they will follow her lead. I doubt she will regress based on all you have told me and she will most likely be alpha over the incoming dog (male puppy).

Banks always LOVED big dogs too, her favorite were Danes and Cane Corso... she HATED dogs with long hair, (Newfi, GSD, Bernise, etc) and little dogs she was fine with; however when we first got Cheli he was 8 mths old and she wanted to eat him, took a full week of off-site introductions for her to accept him as a dog and not a snack :facepalm:

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
With Bella being so much a reminder to me of Banks.... I will tell you this, get a male puppy of any breed and they will follow her lead. I doubt she will regress based on all you have told me and she will most likely be alpha over the incoming dog (male puppy).

Banks always LOVED big dogs too, her favorite were Danes and Cane Corso... she HATED dogs with long hair, (Newfi, GSD, Bernise, etc) and little dogs she was fine with; however when we first got Cheli he was 8 mths old and she wanted to eat him, took a full week of off-site introductions for her to accept him as a dog and not a snack :facepalm:

Hahah, I love that!

You make me feel so good about it. Why am I not rich so I get get many dogs and not be poor!?

You're right, she'd most likely be alpha.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

:goodpost: Christine nailed it on this one, and she helped us when we were considering Willow… I think the opposite sex is a great idea. You will encounter jealousy, that is normal… when Roxie our boxer was still around I always made sure she got enough exercise for her breed. Dogs are adaptable to some degree, like kids… we try to make life SO easy for them but honestly they can adapt to changes if we are smart about things from the beginning.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Do it, do it!

Ruckus didn't regress with house training, but I can't say Regina learned from him. She definitely took a little longer to train. It was funny if she ever pooped in the house, Ruckus would whine and bark at the poop, sort of like, "Mom, mom, mommy! Look what da Regina did! Mom, it's just not civilized...."

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.