Thread: Allergies

Default Allergies

Hi everyone its been awhile since ive been on. I have a question. My boy Rocco has (environmental)allergies. We are doing shots (desensitizing shots)it seems to be helping a little bit,but now he runs away and hides when he see me with thenidel. Its so hard for me know i feel bad. Hes such a daddys boy now cuase of that.i want to stop doing the shots,but i dont think my dermatologist will be to happy with that. Im going to make an appointment with her to get her opinion.
    I wanted to see if anyone else is/has gone though this. Want to get your opinion and experience on this
    Thank you

This is my little guy

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Agatha Gump
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Allergies

We chose to use the mist in Agatha Gump's mouth over the injections. So much easier for her & us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes ddnene liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

I get allergy shots myself, and honestly the benefits are tremendous for me personally… I also had a diabetic cat that I gave insulin to daily, so I understand the process. I would seriously consider continuing w/the shots… once he gets to maintenance level it won't be that bad (I get allergy shots once a month now). Have you tried using a HIGH value treat say kosher all beef hot dog pieces or something like that? How long has he been getting the shots?

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

5. Likes Manydogs liked this post
    Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, Pippy, Kash, and MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I used to have to sit on top of my Dozer to give him his shots. At first he would struggle with me all the way but after rewarding with several treats after each shot he stopped fighting me over it. You could tell that he didn't like it but his food motivation prompted him to sit till for a few seconds, it will be over soon, and I get TREATS!!!
    Be quick and accurate with your needle sticks and be sure not to hit muscle tissue.

7. Likes ddnene, Manydogs liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by oscarmayer View Post
    I used to have to sit on top of my Dozer to give him his shots. At first he would struggle with me all the way but after rewarding with several treats after each shot he stopped fighting me over it. You could tell that he didn't like it but his food motivation prompted him to sit till for a few seconds, it will be over soon, and I get TREATS!!!
    Be quick and accurate with your needle sticks and be sure not to hit muscle tissue.
    AGREED!!! I would pull up the skin to make a pocket, and put the needle in the middle just barely under the skin. They honestly should NOT feel it at all...

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

9. Likes Manydogs liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Yes-a yummy treat given only for shot time(as soon as you give the shot) should certainly help him. My diabetic dog was happy to get her shot,as she knew the special treat was coming!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

11. Likes ddnene liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by beckylu00 View Post
    Hi everyone its been awhile since ive been on. I have a question. My boy Rocco has (environmental)allergies. We are doing shots (desensitizing shots)it seems to be helping a little bit,but now he runs away and hides when he see me with thenidel. Its so hard for me know i feel bad. Hes such a daddys boy now cuase of that.i want to stop doing the shots,but i dont think my dermatologist will be to happy with that. Im going to make an appointment with her to get her opinion.
    I wanted to see if anyone else is/has gone though this. Want to get your opinion and experience on this
    Thank you

This is my little guy

What a sweet baby!! Ask your vet if they carry Apoquel, its said to heaven sent for allergies, many here use it for their babies!

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Sweet little Rocco!

Banks was the same way... she hated the shot and would start shaking and run when she would se me get it ready. To me it was not worth the stress to her.... so I went the route of Benedyl 3x a day and wiping her off after every trip outside. She did just fine... it just became a maintenance routine for us.... wipe with a cool wet cloth (paws, belly and face) and the Benedryl... it has the same results as the shot without the stress.

As someone else mentioned, ask about Apoquel... it is getting great reviews from those that can get it
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    I get allergy shots myself, and honestly the benefits are tremendous for me personally… I also had a diabetic cat that I gave insulin to daily, so I understand the process. I would seriously consider continuing w/the shots… once he gets to maintenance level it won't be that bad (I get allergy shots once a month now). Have you tried using a HIGH value treat say kosher all beef hot dog pieces or something like that? How long has he been getting the shots?
    Been getting them since August. We or doing everything 14days we go back soon for a check up

Using Tapatalk

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    AGREED!!! I would pull up the skin to make a pocket, and put the needle in the middle just barely under the skin. They honestly should NOT feel it at all...
    This is how I did it with Chumly. He hated it and would try to get away when he saw me coming. I would feel really mean, but all was forgiven as soon as he saw the treat (or two or three)! He was allergic to dust mites, the cat, wool and various grasses and pollen and the shots were a life saver for him. I still have a vial of it in the fridge, can't bear to throw it away, how daft is that There was no mist or Apoquel then unfortunately. I am going through something similar now with Monty's eye drops, they are forever. He is such a sweet, lovely boy and I may joke about how difficult they are to give him but it seems I am always doing something to him and I feel so bad for him.
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

16. Likes ddnene, 2BullyMama liked this post

Remove Ads