Allergies

beckylu00

Apr 29, 2014
Hi everyone its been awhile since ive been on. I have a question. My boy Rocco has (environmental)allergies. We are doing shots (desensitizing shots)it seems to be helping a little bit,but now he runs away and hides when he see me with thenidel. Its so hard for me know i feel bad. Hes such a daddys boy now cuase of that.i want to stop doing the shots,but i dont think my dermatologist will be to happy with that. Im going to make an appointment with her to get her opinion.
I wanted to see if anyone else is/has gone though this. Want to get your opinion and experience on this
Thank you
8da46a0a0296d54471748ef47852d6c9.jpg

This is my little guy

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

keystnlabs

Dec 27, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Agatha Gump
We chose to use the mist in Agatha Gump's mouth over the injections. So much easier for her & us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I get allergy shots myself, and honestly the benefits are tremendous for me personally… I also had a diabetic cat that I gave insulin to daily, so I understand the process. I would seriously consider continuing w/the shots… once he gets to maintenance level it won't be that bad (I get allergy shots once a month now). Have you tried using a HIGH value treat say kosher all beef hot dog pieces or something like that? How long has he been getting the shots?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I used to have to sit on top of my Dozer to give him his shots. At first he would struggle with me all the way but after rewarding with several treats after each shot he stopped fighting me over it. You could tell that he didn't like it but his food motivation prompted him to sit till for a few seconds, it will be over soon, and I get TREATS!!!
Be quick and accurate with your needle sticks and be sure not to hit muscle tissue.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I used to have to sit on top of my Dozer to give him his shots. At first he would struggle with me all the way but after rewarding with several treats after each shot he stopped fighting me over it. You could tell that he didn't like it but his food motivation prompted him to sit till for a few seconds, it will be over soon, and I get TREATS!!!
Be quick and accurate with your needle sticks and be sure not to hit muscle tissue.

AGREED!!! I would pull up the skin to make a pocket, and put the needle in the middle just barely under the skin. They honestly should NOT feel it at all...

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Yes-a yummy treat given only for shot time(as soon as you give the shot) should certainly help him. My diabetic dog was happy to get her shot,as she knew the special treat was coming!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hi everyone its been awhile since ive been on. I have a question. My boy Rocco has (environmental)allergies. We are doing shots (desensitizing shots)it seems to be helping a little bit,but now he runs away and hides when he see me with thenidel. Its so hard for me know i feel bad. Hes such a daddys boy now cuase of that.i want to stop doing the shots,but i dont think my dermatologist will be to happy with that. Im going to make an appointment with her to get her opinion.
I wanted to see if anyone else is/has gone though this. Want to get your opinion and experience on this
Thank you
8da46a0a0296d54471748ef47852d6c9.jpg

This is my little guy

What a sweet baby!! Ask your vet if they carry Apoquel, its said to heaven sent for allergies, many here use it for their babies!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sweet little Rocco!

Banks was the same way... she hated the shot and would start shaking and run when she would se me get it ready. To me it was not worth the stress to her.... so I went the route of Benedyl 3x a day and wiping her off after every trip outside. She did just fine... it just became a maintenance routine for us.... wipe with a cool wet cloth (paws, belly and face) and the Benedryl... it has the same results as the shot without the stress.

As someone else mentioned, ask about Apoquel... it is getting great reviews from those that can get it

OP
beckylu00

beckylu00

Apr 29, 2014
I get allergy shots myself, and honestly the benefits are tremendous for me personally… I also had a diabetic cat that I gave insulin to daily, so I understand the process. I would seriously consider continuing w/the shots… once he gets to maintenance level it won't be that bad (I get allergy shots once a month now). Have you tried using a HIGH value treat say kosher all beef hot dog pieces or something like that? How long has he been getting the shots?
Been getting them since August. We or doing everything 14days we go back soon for a check up

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
AGREED!!! I would pull up the skin to make a pocket, and put the needle in the middle just barely under the skin. They honestly should NOT feel it at all...

This is how I did it with Chumly. He hated it and would try to get away when he saw me coming. I would feel really mean, but all was forgiven as soon as he saw the treat (or two or three)! He was allergic to dust mites, the cat, wool and various grasses and pollen and the shots were a life saver for him. I still have a vial of it in the fridge, can't bear to throw it away, how daft is that :tissue: There was no mist or Apoquel then unfortunately. I am going through something similar now with Monty's eye drops, they are forever. He is such a sweet, lovely boy and I may joke about how difficult they are to give him but it seems I am always doing something to him and I feel so bad for him.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.