Weight I am concerned!

LouLanaro

Mar 31, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
Hi All

relatively new here and need to ask a question about weight I am sure there many puppies similar age as mine on this forum.
Harley almost 5 months old and weighs 40 lbs. Had him at the Vet yesterday and she was not concerned. I started feeding him 1 1/2 cups a day at 8 weeks and he was always hungry so I called breeder and said to increase to 2 cups a day. Same thing called breeder a few weeks ago and told her that puppy is always hungry so now 3 cups a day and he enjoys every bite...

Would love to hear from some of you on this
regards

Lou

IMG_2346.JPG

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
99.9% of dogs are always going to be hungry or eat like they have not eaten in days.... don't be concerned

Here is a good chart to help you know you are feeding the right amount.... you do not want to over -feed because he will get too heavy and begin to have issues.

8 weeks1/2 cup 3 times a day
12 weeks2/3 to 3/4 cup 3 times a day
4 & 5 months3/4 cup 3 times a day
6 months to 1 year1.25 to 1.5 cups twice a day

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Chart above is great info.
We have always fed lower protein(Senior) food for our adult dogs beginning at their 2nd year. Higher protein foods tend to pack on the weight.

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
All 4 of my dogs eat like they have never ate before at EVERY feeding and my older ones are 6,7,and 8 years old. Some dogs are just like this and will eat and eat. I'm personally shocked when I see dogs NOT interested in food. Like my inlaws dogs, you can throw a chicken nugget on the ground and they sniff and lick at it. Mine wouldn't even chew! I think 1.5 cups twice a day if just fine. He is a big boy though, my 11 month old girl is only 40lbs!

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] chart is great info. Now Jewel and Bentley receive 1 cup three times a day. Jewel (almost 3 years old) is on a low-fat diet and has empty stomach syndrome. Bentley (will be 2.5 years this month) gets three cups eating all of it and sometimes he leaves some behind. All bullies are different and I did not worry about Jewel or Bentley's weight until after 1 year old. as long as Jewel and Bentley have that curve after their rib cage and not straight all the way back...I do not worry. A good weight for Jewel is 55 lbs. and she is pushing 62 lbs. Bentley is 50 lbs and could stand to gain some weight.

Well I hope I have not confused you at all. If your vet starts to worry about the weight then I would worry. If your puppy is active like my Bentley is, then that could be why Harley enjoys his food.

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
At 4 months old mine weighed 31.4lbs and at about 6 months he weighed 42lbs. I don't think yours weighs too much. For mine, I go by his figure and if I can feel his ribs without digging. I don't go by weight.

I recently noticed that he has stopped growing so rapidly and is starting to get to that point where I can't readily feel his ribs so I am reducing to 1 cup at mealtimes and more exercise. He is 54lbs now and will be a year old this month.

I used an app called PetDiary to track weight and medication. I recommend it over the paper system.

chitownbully

Nov 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
KINGSTON / PRINCE
[MENTION=15691]LouLanaro[/MENTION] I too was concerned with my pups weight, but vet put me at ease saying he is a perfect weight At 5 months he weighed 45 lbs! From the age of 2 months I have always fed him 3x's a day. 1 cup at each feeding, so a total of 3 cups a day. Recently he became uninterested in his afternoon serving and at times would not even touch it. A couple wks ago we changed his schedule to 1 1/2 cups, twice a day, he's still getting a total of 3 cups a day. He eats both servings in their entirety and does not miss his afternoon serving and doesn't seem hungry throughout the day. He does get a treat in between meals. Another thing, is, puppy food will put weight on them. I think once they transition to adult food, which we plan on doing when he turns 1, the weight gain will slow down, or at least that's what I'm hoping.

OP
L

LouLanaro

Mar 31, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
Thanks all

So my puppy is in line with KINSGTON very similar.. If it stops snowing up here I will be taking him for more walks..
I don't want to deprive him ...while he is growing. He is very strong and can run around the house go up/down stairs...and play in snow on back deck..
I can feel his ribs ok so I'll watch ...

regards
Lou

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Lou, I think Lou looks great. I don't remember what my guys weighed at 5 or 6 months old, but they are both between 42 and 45 lbs. They are usually 42 lbs in the summer months when they are more active, and will gain 2 to 3 lbs in the winter, when they aren't out as much. My vet says she would like them to be more around 40 lbs, but I don't think they are overweight. I used to feed them 1 cup of kibble 3 times a day until they were 7 months old, and then I reduced their feelings to 1 cup of kibble 2 times a day. They get some supplements like plain yogurt on their morning kibble, and coconut oil on their evening kibble. I give them treats during the day like a 1/2 a banana each twice a week, strawberries, blueberries, and sometimes watermelon, and we also give them toppers on their evening kibble like cooked carrots, green beans or broccoli, usually whatever we are having for dinner. The rule of thumb is you should be able to feel the ribs, but not see them, and if you are standing over your dog, you should see a well defined waist.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 150
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    557.5 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    573.3 KB · Views: 124
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    548.4 KB · Views: 123
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    628.1 KB · Views: 130
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    621.8 KB · Views: 129
OP
L

LouLanaro

Mar 31, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
Your bullies look beautiful
Harley also doing great
getting warmer up here and look forward to sending him out for backyard fun...

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.