Stairs

Jellyfish

Mar 24, 2016
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
At what age can an English bulldog start learning stairs? Our 8 week old is still very small and short so we've been carrying him up and down the back porch stairs. It is fine except he grunts the whole way (not sure if this is just a normal thing or that he doesn't like to be carried) and then as soon as he sees the grass (when we are at the top of the stairs), he starts to wiggle to get down.

I've let him walk up and put his paws on the stairs but he seems unsure about trying to climb up them. Going down seems even more daunting with his current size. My Frenchie struggled with going down. She'd almost flip end over end until she got the hang of it.

I just want to keep Hank safe.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We were very hesitant and maybe went too far, but I was not chancing it.... we carried Lambeau DOWN stairs till he was 6 months old. He went up at like 10 or 12 weeks.

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Mine still doesn't go down certain stairs in parts of the house. It took awhile to coax him down the 3 porch steps in the back. I would put a treat on the stair and point to it until he would go get it. That being said I think he was about 6 months old when he would confidently go down on his own.

I'm still considering building him a ramp.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
We rescued Lala at 6 months because of a broken leg that her owner could not afford to fix($3000). She broke it going down stairs. Two pins and 6 weeks later she's good to go. Please be very careful with your bully as they learn to navigate stairways. The last thing I want to read about here is something similar to Lala's plight.

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Chunky started going up at around 4 months but I always carried him down until around 6 months when I found he went up stairs to poop when I was out mowing the yard. He's done it on his own but not always gracefully more like a bull in a china shop

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
At that age, we carried Ellie, she is now just over 5 mos. and goes up and down the stairs to our upper floor like a champ, the stairs going to our lower level she still on goes up, if we come in from the garage, not sure though if she has a thing for the washer, as it is at the bottom, but she WILL NOT go down those stairs yet with our some serious TREAT encouragement!!

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
We were carrying curly down the stairs until we couldn't pick him up anymore - so I think he was about 6-7 months at about 45 lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I have 5 steps to go towards the backyard door. I carried her in and out for a few weeks. To go up took her 2 weeks but down my hand was on her collar cause the bobble head and chest weight is all in the front and she almost did a rolly polly down. She's 6 months n goes up n down now. Just recently with her cone she's scare to go up as she hits the cone on each step :( if its staircase inside the house 2nd floor or basement I would be there for sure especially wooden staircase.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Willow is 6 months now, and she can go up and down the stairs… she has ZERO fear, but other bullies that we have owned were more hesitant. Going down seemed more of the issue… I say keep carrying him until he feels comfortable w/it.

LouLanaro

Mar 31, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
Harley started as a puppy of 8 weeks trying to go down one step to the back yard and seems to have figured it out. At 3 months he followed me into the basement and I though it was great so I took a video. Now at 5 months he goes up and down freely but with 40 pounds on him works hard to go up to bed. He also has 4 steps to go up on the bed and I swear he goes up and down 100 times a night..lol

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.