Pennyblossom

Mar 4, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny and Bristol
So Bristol had a few tiny spots on the inside of her leg that looked like bug bites the very next morning they looked weepy and crusty so I called our vet. They saw her did a skin scrape and slide and sent out for a fungal culture. They said it looked like it could be hotspots but unsure of the cause.
I have not changed her food or made any other changes. If it's a food allergy how long would it take for that to show up? Would it take more than three months, she has never presented to be allergic to grass or anything outside before -at almost 11 months old if it was a grass allergy wouldn't we have noticed? Does that leave us with pollen which is crazy bad right now?
The doctors gave her an injectable antibiotic for infection and a pill she has to take once a day for the next 14 days. They shaved her and cleaned the area by her elbow. She has Hexachlor shampoo for her paws/legs that I am to apply 3 times a week for a week then 1 a week and Hexachlor wipes for her tear stains.
I tell you I have one bulldog that seems to have escaped most bulldog medical issues and this sweet one that seems to want to prove her pedigree by having every one.
I have seen mentioned Greek yogurt and coconut oil please explain the benefits and the amounts and how often as I would like her to do have to continue with these skin issues once we get her healed.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Fingers crossed I never had to deal with hot spot with Nyala. But I did with my GS once or twice. I would clean it, put an antibiotic cream but he would lick it off. Bugger. That is when I started to give him cod liver oil. Never after that he ever had issues. I would rub it on also as it is vitamin A. There is also salmon oil which is very good. If you type hotspot in the search above, you will get a lot of info cause a few bully owners had/is having same issue. :)

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
From a person that is also owned by a bulldog that seem to catch everything available i noticed patterns in lilly she gets seasonal hot spots even tho nothing changed , she had salmon and coconut oil added to her food and shes is bathed in anti bacterial /fungal shampoo also regularly wormed i noticed that her spots that were also tested as fungal go away after few weeks . I noticed it seem to happen every year in spring now unless its more than "usual " amount i tend not to worry and its all goes away x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
coconut oil and yogurt both help to naturally fight yeast. that is why they help on hotspots. most yeast begins in the gut--just like mold begins inside fruit long before you see it on the outside. if a dog has hot spots its like people having athletes foot. the yeast is flaring up, and has beaten down the immune system. cod liver and salmon oil help because they are high in vit d which is necessary for a strong immune system--vit d also comes from sunbathing. people with diabetics are more prone to yeast infections, but there is new research out looking into the possibility of chronic yeast infections being an underlying cause of diabetes in stead of the symptom----either way goodluck

OP
Pennyblossom

Pennyblossom

Mar 4, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny and Bristol
So coconut oil and yogurt to be consumed with food and cod or salmon oil to be applied to skin? How much and how often for coconut oil and yogurt ? Thanks.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
I add a teaspoon of coconut oil once a day and tea spoon of yogurt i alternate them every day x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
coconut oil and yogurt both help to naturally fight yeast. that is why they help on hotspots. most yeast begins in the gut--just like mold begins inside fruit long before you see it on the outside. if a dog has hot spots its like people having athletes foot. the yeast is flaring up, and has beaten down the immune system. cod liver and salmon oil help because they are high in vit d which is necessary for a strong immune system--vit d also comes from sunbathing. people with diabetics are more prone to yeast infections, but there is new research out looking into the possibility of chronic yeast infections being an underlying cause of diabetes in stead of the symptom----either way goodluck

:goodpost: This really explains what is going on w/our dogs…

My Walter seems to have a low immune system so I give him NuVet tabs daily, a tablespoon of greek yogurt, probiotics capsules and a couple of squirts of salmon oil in his kibble. I don't give him coconut oil orally because he seems to be allergic, but you can use the oil on their skin topically. For hot spots most people on here will have the area shaved and keep it clean. I bought some Vetericyn Plus which you can use for hot spots, interdigital cysts, cuts, etc… and it's non-toxic. Good luck w/your baby...

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
Know that I am not a vet or doctor--but chronic yeast infections run in my family (so I have been researching yeasty things on my own for about 10 years, when the doctors kept telling me "nothing is wrong")--and looking at EBD, it seems common sense to apply this basic knowledge.

The thing to know about yeast is that you have to starve it while attacking it with things like coconut oil, probiotics and yogurt. So, you have to know what feeds it--avoid cheese (moldy milk); but yogurt (also moldy milk) still has cultures in it to fight yeast; then grains (these cause sugar levels to rise) they create food for yeast---I think a lot of the "grain allergies" could be yeast based.

And then what starves it--vegetables, meat. It is a lot of balancing the PH system--yeast likes alkaline places. And, then boosting the immune system--vit D, B, C and zinc help in humans--I am not sure what it is for dogs. But, eggs have zinc, and most everyone here swears by eggs. Sweet potatoes have vit B, and again lots of bullies eat these too. Sunbathing, fish oil (vit D). Yogurt, coconut oil--what we have found that works for our dogs all points to chronic yeast infection and poor immune system.

Some young interested college student needs to research this--it would be a great doctoral dissertation (and help all of us troubled bulldog parents).

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
totally agree with the gang.... hotspot. and probably due to the pollen as you stated. I did a full blood screen allergy test for Lambeau, it gives a great baseline of what you need to avoid or how to management these issues. Ask you vet about it.... it was 200.00 and took about a week to get results

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

WELL SAID!!!

Everyone gave you the proper input. My little walking dictionaries :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Know that I am not a vet or doctor--but chronic yeast infections run in my family (so I have been researching yeasty things on my own for about 10 years, when the doctors kept telling me "nothing is wrong")--and looking at EBD, it seems common sense to apply this basic knowledge.

The thing to know about yeast is that you have to starve it while attacking it with things like coconut oil, probiotics and yogurt. So, you have to know what feeds it--avoid cheese (moldy milk); but yogurt (also moldy milk) still has cultures in it to fight yeast; then grains (these cause sugar levels to rise) they create food for yeast---I think a lot of the "grain allergies" could be yeast based.

And then what starves it--vegetables, meat. It is a lot of balancing the PH system--yeast likes alkaline places. And, then boosting the immune system--vit D, B, C and zinc help in humans--I am not sure what it is for dogs. But, eggs have zinc, and most everyone here swears by eggs. Sweet potatoes have vit B, and again lots of bullies eat these too. Sunbathing, fish oil (vit D). Yogurt, coconut oil--what we have found that works for our dogs all points to chronic yeast infection and poor immune system.

Some young interested college student needs to research this--it would be a great doctoral dissertation (and help all of us troubled bulldog parents).

My mom 82, use to work for a well known hospital on the neurology floor. 2 well famous Dr's for the brain had clients like Elizabeth Taylor, price of Spain, etc etc always said the only animal that resembles the human is the dog. Dogs get same issues as humans. That is why EVEN though some are against testing on dogs, research rather use dogs to get to the cure years faster for humans. YES that is another topic which I wont go. :) so all this to say, like you described in your post, think how you would cure yourself.

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
My pup is almost 11 months too on 4/15 and although her skin is fine has presented with some season allergy symptoms. Mostly just watery red eyes and we put her on Benadryl per the vet and it has done wonders! I'm hoping that it's just a seasonal allergy that we can control. I'm also going to start coconut oil too thanks to this group. I hope your pup is better soon!

chitownbully

Nov 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
KINGSTON / PRINCE
[MENTION=15583]Pennyblossom[/MENTION] I started using organic, unrefined, cold -pressed virgin coconut oil, I found at my local discount grocery store (Aldi's) when my bully began losing his fur due to D-mange. I started off with 1 tsp everyday for a week, then 2 tsp a day the following wk and so on until he was up to 1 tbl everyday. I continued this for about 2 months. Just recently I cut back to 1 tbl every other day and plan on introducing him to yogurt very soon. I give it to him in one of his toys or he will eat it right off the spoon. You can also mix it in his food, mine did not like it in his food. I would also rub coconut oil on him, esp on his bald spots everyday which I still do, just not as often. He has since grown all his fur back and is mange free! He was approx. 4 months when all this started and is going on 8 months now. His vet is against me giving him anything but his kibbles and vitamins, so I have to be very careful on what I give him. He does well with the coconut oil and eggs. He gets 1/2 a boiled egg daily, which I mix in his morning kibbles.
As far as allergies, my vet did tell me environmental allergies usually don't start until they're about a yr old. Hope this info help! And wishing your baby gets better soon.

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
fleas can cause hot spots.. i know this very well, i have 4 english bulldogs and one of them i think must be allergic to fleas because if one bites her then she has a hotspot.. keep hotspot medicine on hand because they cant get big very fast..

chitownbully

Nov 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
KINGSTON / PRINCE
[MENTION=295]punky[/MENTION] what kind of hotspot meds do you recommend?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online