Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please advise- doctors seem unsure

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Penny and Bristol
    Likes (Received)

Default Please advise- doctors seem unsure

So Bristol had a few tiny spots on the inside of her leg that looked like bug bites the very next morning they looked weepy and crusty so I called our vet. They saw her did a skin scrape and slide and sent out for a fungal culture. They said it looked like it could be hotspots but unsure of the cause.
    I have not changed her food or made any other changes. If it's a food allergy how long would it take for that to show up? Would it take more than three months, she has never presented to be allergic to grass or anything outside before -at almost 11 months old if it was a grass allergy wouldn't we have noticed? Does that leave us with pollen which is crazy bad right now?
    The doctors gave her an injectable antibiotic for infection and a pill she has to take once a day for the next 14 days. They shaved her and cleaned the area by her elbow. She has Hexachlor shampoo for her paws/legs that I am to apply 3 times a week for a week then 1 a week and Hexachlor wipes for her tear stains.
    I tell you I have one bulldog that seems to have escaped most bulldog medical issues and this sweet one that seems to want to prove her pedigree by having every one.
    I have seen mentioned Greek yogurt and coconut oil please explain the benefits and the amounts and how often as I would like her to do have to continue with these skin issues once we get her healed.
    -image-jpeg
    -image-jpeg

The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Please advise- doctors seem unsure

Fingers crossed I never had to deal with hot spot with Nyala. But I did with my GS once or twice. I would clean it, put an antibiotic cream but he would lick it off. Bugger. That is when I started to give him cod liver oil. Never after that he ever had issues. I would rub it on also as it is vitamin A. There is also salmon oil which is very good. If you type hotspot in the search above, you will get a lot of info cause a few bully owners had/is having same issue.

3. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person? Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

From a person that is also owned by a bulldog that seem to catch everything available i noticed patterns in lilly she gets seasonal hot spots even tho nothing changed , she had salmon and coconut oil added to her food and shes is bathed in anti bacterial /fungal shampoo also regularly wormed i noticed that her spots that were also tested as fungal go away after few weeks . I noticed it seem to happen every year in spring now unless its more than "usual " amount i tend not to worry and its all goes away x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I use search option before posting new thread "
    Rest In Peace Winston xxx

Shy & Lilly

5. Likes 2BullyMama, helsonwheels liked this post
    Real Name
    Anna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frith
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

coconut oil and yogurt both help to naturally fight yeast. that is why they help on hotspots. most yeast begins in the gut--just like mold begins inside fruit long before you see it on the outside. if a dog has hot spots its like people having athletes foot. the yeast is flaring up, and has beaten down the immune system. cod liver and salmon oil help because they are high in vit d which is necessary for a strong immune system--vit d also comes from sunbathing. people with diabetics are more prone to yeast infections, but there is new research out looking into the possibility of chronic yeast infections being an underlying cause of diabetes in stead of the symptom----either way goodluck
    Fritthy

7. Likes ddnene, 2BullyMama, helsonwheels liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Penny and Bristol
    Likes (Received)

So coconut oil and yogurt to be consumed with food and cod or salmon oil to be applied to skin? How much and how often for coconut oil and yogurt ? Thanks.

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person? Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I add a teaspoon of coconut oil once a day and tea spoon of yogurt i alternate them every day x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I use search option before posting new thread "
    Rest In Peace Winston xxx

Shy & Lilly

10. Likes 2BullyMama, helsonwheels liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Frith View Post
    coconut oil and yogurt both help to naturally fight yeast. that is why they help on hotspots. most yeast begins in the gut--just like mold begins inside fruit long before you see it on the outside. if a dog has hot spots its like people having athletes foot. the yeast is flaring up, and has beaten down the immune system. cod liver and salmon oil help because they are high in vit d which is necessary for a strong immune system--vit d also comes from sunbathing. people with diabetics are more prone to yeast infections, but there is new research out looking into the possibility of chronic yeast infections being an underlying cause of diabetes in stead of the symptom----either way goodluck
    This really explains what is going on w/our dogs…

My Walter seems to have a low immune system so I give him NuVet tabs daily, a tablespoon of greek yogurt, probiotics capsules and a couple of squirts of salmon oil in his kibble. I don't give him coconut oil orally because he seems to be allergic, but you can use the oil on their skin topically. For hot spots most people on here will have the area shaved and keep it clean. I bought some Vetericyn Plus which you can use for hot spots, interdigital cysts, cuts, etc… and it's non-toxic. Good luck w/your baby...

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

12. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Anna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frith
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Know that I am not a vet or doctor--but chronic yeast infections run in my family (so I have been researching yeasty things on my own for about 10 years, when the doctors kept telling me "nothing is wrong")--and looking at EBD, it seems common sense to apply this basic knowledge.

The thing to know about yeast is that you have to starve it while attacking it with things like coconut oil, probiotics and yogurt. So, you have to know what feeds it--avoid cheese (moldy milk); but yogurt (also moldy milk) still has cultures in it to fight yeast; then grains (these cause sugar levels to rise) they create food for yeast---I think a lot of the "grain allergies" could be yeast based.

And then what starves it--vegetables, meat. It is a lot of balancing the PH system--yeast likes alkaline places. And, then boosting the immune system--vit D, B, C and zinc help in humans--I am not sure what it is for dogs. But, eggs have zinc, and most everyone here swears by eggs. Sweet potatoes have vit B, and again lots of bullies eat these too. Sunbathing, fish oil (vit D). Yogurt, coconut oil--what we have found that works for our dogs all points to chronic yeast infection and poor immune system.

Some young interested college student needs to research this--it would be a great doctoral dissertation (and help all of us troubled bulldog parents).
    Fritthy

14. Likes cefe13 liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

totally agree with the gang.... hotspot. and probably due to the pollen as you stated. I did a full blood screen allergy test for Lambeau, it gives a great baseline of what you need to avoid or how to management these issues. Ask you vet about it.... it was 200.00 and took about a week to get results
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

WELL SAID!!!

Everyone gave you the proper input. My little walking dictionaries

Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

Know that I am not a vet or doctor--but chronic yeast infections run in my family (so I have been researching yeasty things on my own for about 10 years, when the doctors kept telling me "nothing is wrong")--and looking at EBD, it seems common sense to apply this basic knowledge.

The thing to know about yeast is that you have to starve it while attacking it with things like coconut oil, probiotics and yogurt. So, you have to know what feeds it--avoid cheese (moldy milk); but yogurt (also moldy milk) still has cultures in it to fight yeast; then grains (these cause sugar levels to rise) they create food for yeast---I think a lot of the "grain allergies" could be yeast based.

And then what starves it--vegetables, meat. It is a lot of balancing the PH system--yeast likes alkaline places. And, then boosting the immune system--vit D, B, C and zinc help in humans--I am not sure what it is for dogs. But, eggs have zinc, and most everyone here swears by eggs. Sweet potatoes have vit B, and again lots of bullies eat these too. Sunbathing, fish oil (vit D). Yogurt, coconut oil--what we have found that works for our dogs all points to chronic yeast infection and poor immune system.

Some young interested college student needs to research this--it would be a great doctoral dissertation (and help all of us troubled bulldog parents).
    My mom 82, use to work for a well known hospital on the neurology floor. 2 well famous Dr's for the brain had clients like Elizabeth Taylor, price of Spain, etc etc always said the only animal that resembles the human is the dog. Dogs get same issues as humans. That is why EVEN though some are against testing on dogs, research rather use dogs to get to the cure years faster for humans. YES that is another topic which I wont go. so all this to say, like you described in your post, think how you would cure yourself.

Real Name
    Caitlin
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Biscuit
    Likes (Received)

My pup is almost 11 months too on 4/15 and although her skin is fine has presented with some season allergy symptoms. Mostly just watery red eyes and we put her on Benadryl per the vet and it has done wonders! I'm hoping that it's just a seasonal allergy that we can control. I'm also going to start coconut oil too thanks to this group. I hope your pup is better soon!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads