Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
His surgery hasn't been that long might be still sensitive. Man im praying Nyala's stays in. I feel for you cause I really don't want to go through that crap again. My vet said he will fix it for free if it comes out but who wants 2nd surgery? I do and nor does she im sure. Bummer!

The vet that did his surgery is out this week so I won't even be able to discuss anything until Monday. It keeps going in and out. It's definitely still sensitive for him. His eye drops Irritate it for sure. I got some allergy drops yesterday and give him those a little after I give him the antibiotic drops and that seems to help calm everything down.
I think you might be better off than me as Nyala had JUST popped her cherry eye. Lockjaws has been out for about 6 months.
I thought I was doing the right thing by waiting until his neuter to fix it. Ugh- I guess there's really no right answer.
I really don't want to put him through another surgery to try to fix it again- and then a possible 3rd it it fails again.
I might just have them remove it. I don't know- I'm still a little undecided. I want what's best for him and that's a hard decision. [emoji30]

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Oh Corine! I feel your pain!!! I found this info on dogster.com, this is the technique my vet used for Murray 'In other cases, a veterinary surgeon may find the connective tissue too weak to cradle the gland properly. In situations like these, the surgeon will attempt to create a new pocket or envelope to hold it in place permanently.' I hope it stays back in for you guys!

Thank you!!!! I'm leaning towards them removing it to avoid another possible fail- but I have to wait until Monday to talk to the vet as she's out this week. Ugh- such a hard decision.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
The vet that did his surgery is out this week so I won't even be able to discuss anything until Monday. It keeps going in and out. It's definitely still sensitive for him. His eye drops Irritate it for sure. I got some allergy drops yesterday and give him those a little after I give him the antibiotic drops and that seems to help calm everything down.
I think you might be better off than me as Nyala had JUST popped her cherry eye. Lockjaws has been out for about 6 months.
I thought I was doing the right thing by waiting until his neuter to fix it. Ugh- I guess there's really no right answer.
I really don't want to put him through another surgery to try to fix it again- and then a possible 3rd it it fails again.
I might just have them remove it. I don't know- I'm still a little undecided. I want what's best for him and that's a hard decision. [emoji30]

You are right there is no right answer. As they say, damm you do and damm you dont. You're not the only one that thought of "do it while he's getting neutered" I did too plus it's the vet said the same thing and we take the advantage of saving money by doing it that way. I know some will say don't get them excited and all but that's like telling a 2yr old not allowed to play. For Lockjaw to have removed his cone on his own in a crate, he must of put a lot of pressure on his neck/head area as these cones are tied down really good. But heh, that's bullies for you. It's hard to make any right decision but I think you already did. :)

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
So my husband is home today and when we went to let the dogs out- he calls me and says that Lockjaw's cherry eye is out again!!!! UGH!!! The vet that did the surgery is out this week- won't be back until Monday, so I'll have to wait till then to talk to her about what to do next and when to do it.
Now I'm wondering if I should just have it removed?!? I don't want to put him through another surgery- not to mention more $- and it still may pop back out.
I'm so confused and frustrated right now.
Any and all opinions welcome PLEASE!!!

7206ca3d2d59a77419a39c25da7b2386.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brutus had both eyes tucked initially and one of them failed. He did have to have it removed but my vet did a great job. 3 yrs later and we have no problems with dry eye or anything. My vet also only charged me for anesthesia for the second procedure. good luck

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Brutus had both eyes tucked initially and one of them failed. He did have to have it removed but my vet did a great job. 3 yrs later and we have no problems with dry eye or anything. My vet also only charged me for anesthesia for the second procedure. good luck

Oh thank you for saying that!
Did you try to repair the tack or just removed it? And what brought you to that decision?

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh thank you for saying that!
Did you try to repair the tack or just removed it? And what brought you to that decision?
We just removed it because our vet said if it failed so soon after surgery it will continue to fail. His other eye never failed and is still only tucked. I felt like just do it and get it over with. I did not want to put him under to try tucking it again if there was any chance of it continuing to fail. At least I knew that by removing it, it would ensure that this would be the last time he need anesthesia for it. he has absolutely no issues with his eyes now. and you cannot tell one is tucked and the other is removed.

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
This is him now and honestly I couldn't be happier with our decision. You cannot tell which eye has it and which doesnt.Screenshot_2016-04-05-10-55-20.png

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
This is him now and honestly I couldn't be happier with our decision. You cannot tell which eye has it and which doesnt.View attachment 97202

That is exactly what I was thinking. I don't want to run the risk of t failing again. The more I look into and trunk about it - I'm more drawn to just removing it. Thank you! You made me feel better. Lol

He looks absolutely beautiful!! That's all I want for my boy.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
That is exactly what I was thinking. I don't want to run the risk of t failing again. The more I look into and trunk about it - I'm more drawn to just removing it. Thank you! You made me feel better. Lol

He looks absolutely beautiful!! That's all I want for my boy.

How our little lockjaw today? Any improvement or same?

Nyala was playing outside got piece of grass in good eye. Was trying to get it out but after what happened with your was thinking it will come out on its own. Not going to provoke good eye.

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
How our little lockjaw today? Any improvement or same?

Nyala was playing outside got piece of grass in good eye. Was trying to get it out but after what happened with your was thinking it will come out on its own. Not going to provoke good eye.

Awwww! Did it come out?!? You can always add some plain eye drops to try to flush it out.
He is the same. The cherry comes out- I massage it back in. Initially it was just a small part- now it looks like it did before the surgery [emoji30]. Soooo, unless the vet can seriously talk me out of tacking it again, I'm pretty sure I'm just going to have her remove it this time.
I was reading more about it and while the cherry is out- it prevents proper tear production anyway. He was like that for 6 months and we never had an issue with any signs of dry eye or irritation.
I don't want to risk going through this again.
How's Nyala doing?!?

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
I've had Brett's removed as well. Recovery time was pretty quick

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Awwww! Did it come out?!? You can always add some plain eye drops to try to flush it out.
He is the same. The cherry comes out- I massage it back in. Initially it was just a small part- now it looks like it did before the surgery [emoji30]. Soooo, unless the vet can seriously talk me out of tacking it again, I'm pretty sure I'm just going to have her remove it this time.
I was reading more about it and while the cherry is out- it prevents proper tear production anyway. He was like that for 6 months and we never had an issue with any signs of dry eye or irritation.
I don't want to risk going through this again.
How's Nyala doing?!?

Nyala is great thank you. But with your posts of lockjaw it like keeps me on high alert to. Plus that piece of grass I just didn't want to play around with that. All I was thinking the good eye willl pop a cherry eye.

Had a question, with all the research you did, does it say anywhere after 2yrs of age EVEN if the dog had cherry eye issue under 2, will it always follow them after 2? I know 2 is not a fix precise age but like around 2ish ....curious

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Nyala is great thank you. But with your posts of lockjaw it like keeps me on high alert to. Plus that piece of grass I just didn't want to play around with that. All I was thinking the good eye willl pop a cherry eye.

Had a question, with all the research you did, does it say anywhere after 2yrs of age EVEN if the dog had cherry eye issue under 2, will it always follow them after 2? I know 2 is not a fix precise age but like around 2ish ....curious

They say that it is more common in them 2 and under. The more they grow- it helps keep everything in place.
I would probably guess that it's always a possibility that the cherry eye could pop out- (like with trauma or really rough play( but the older they get, it's less likely.
I'm glad to hear she's doing so well! Hers doesn't look swollen. Lockjaws still looked swollen almost the whole time. I'm sorry for worrying you.

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
I've had Brett's removed as well. Recovery time was pretty quick

Did you have them removed initially or after a failed tack? How long has it been since his has been removed.
It's so funny- everything you research it says everywhere hat removing is horrible. But I see more and more people have chosen to remove and haven't had any issues and an all around good experience.

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
Did you have them removed initially or after a failed tack? How long has it been since his has been removed.
It's so funny- everything you research it says everywhere hat removing is horrible. But I see more and more people have chosen to remove and haven't had any issues and an all around good experience.

His vet decided to just removed the gland the first time. It's been over a year ago and no problems occurred. No dry eyes. Thank goodness

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.