SOOOO Frustrated right now!!!

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
So my husband is home today and when we went to let the dogs out- he calls me and says that Lockjaw's cherry eye is out again!!!! UGH!!! The vet that did the surgery is out this week- won't be back until Monday, so I'll have to wait till then to talk to her about what to do next and when to do it.
Now I'm wondering if I should just have it removed?!? I don't want to put him through another surgery- not to mention more $- and it still may pop back out.
I'm so confused and frustrated right now.
Any and all opinions welcome PLEASE!!!

7206ca3d2d59a77419a39c25da7b2386.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Ohhhh I'm really sorry!!! I can't imagine your frustration!! I can't help but I'm sure one of the experienced members will be by soon. Hang in there!!!!!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
I hate to say this but with all of the cherry eye surgery failures we've experienced over the years we simply have the gland removed and be done with it. Some Vets will do it without a hitch and others have to be coaxed.
Our Lola came into rescue at 2 months old with a heart valve issue and was given <1 year to live. She was not a candidate for any kind of surgery...the risk was not worth it. She developed cherry eye shortly after we got her and we decided not to correct it. Nine years later she passed and NEVER had an issue with the cherry eye.
In many cases the surgery is strictly for cosmetic reasons.
Be advised though, with the removal of the gland, the likelihood of needing some sort of eye drops is high...for the rest of the patients life.
Tough decisions ahead...good luck to all concerned

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Are you able to massage it back into place? My frenchie gets a cherry eye from time to time and we can massage it back in place...

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
I hate to say this but with all of the cherry eye surgery failures we've experienced over the years we simply have the gland removed and be done with it. Some Vets will do it without a hitch and others have to be coaxed.
Our Lola came into rescue at 2 months old with a heart valve issue and was given <1 year to live. She was not a candidate for any kind of surgery...the risk was not worth it. She developed Cherry eye shortly after we got her and we decided not to correct it. Nine years later she passed and NEVER had an issue with the cherry eye.
In many cases the surgery is strictly for cosmetic reasons.
Be advised though, with the removal of the gland, the likelihood of needing some sort of eye drops is high...for the rest of the patients life.
Tough decisions ahead...good luck to all concerned

That's really what I feel like doing. I don't want to chance it and POSSIBLY put him through a 3rd surgery if a 2nd tack doesn't work. I can handle the eye drops. I just don't want to do it again for a "maybe it'll work this time". They'll have to use a stronger stitch, that could possibly scratch his eye, then cause an infection, then end up taking it out anyway - or it popping back out and taking it out anyway.
A part of me knows also that it is hugely cosmetic - but he's so beautiful! And I hate EVERYWHERE I take him I get all of the "Whats wrong with his eye" comments.
It's just frustrating and I just want to make the best decision for him that I can.

Thank you for your advice!! I do really appreciate it!

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
my husband is with him and wont touch it. LOL - I will try when I get back home. [MENTION=9956]nubonics[/MENTION]

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
my husband is with him and wont touch it. LOL - I will try when I get back home. [MENTION=9956]nubonics[/MENTION]

Men! Lol. My husband is horrible at getting sully's back in.

Usually what I do is take a baby wipe and rub his wrinkle at the corner of his eye and pull the skin gentle over the cherry eye in all directions and then it with pop back in- so I never physically touch it.

Sometimes his comes out when he has allergies and won't go back in as easily so I give him a Zyrtec and try again in about an hour.

Hopefully that helps get it back in!

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Men! Lol. My husband is horrible at getting sully's back in.

Usually what I do is take a baby wipe and rub his wrinkle at the corner of his eye and pull the skin gentle over the cherry eye in all directions and then it with pop back in- so I never physically touch it.

Sometimes his comes out when he has allergies and won't go back in as easily so I give him a Zyrtec and try again in about an hour.

Hopefully that helps get it back in!

His has been out since Oct. Initially I could massage it, then eventually it just wouldn't stay in. That's why we chose to tack it back when we neutered him. I am going to massage it back in tonight when I get home. I will try the allergy meds though. He hasn't really shown any issues with allergies - but at this point, i'll try anything. Thank you!!

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Ugh that sucks that it popped back out!! Good luck tonight

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Oh NO! I hope they can do something without another surgery.

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Aaaaaaand it went back in on its own earlier today. I swear- this cherry eyes going to be the death of me and my nerves. Lol- I guess he waiting game starts now.

43f6d4b4296f5a5c8b9ebeb9b7f85d94.jpg

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so sorry… we used to be able to massage Bella's back in. I hope that you don't have anymore issues w/it...

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Oh Corine! I feel your pain!!! I found this info on dogster.com, this is the technique my vet used for Murray 'In other cases, a veterinary surgeon may find the connective tissue too weak to cradle the gland properly. In situations like these, the surgeon will attempt to create a new pocket or envelope to hold it in place permanently.' I hope it stays back in for you guys!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
His has been out since Oct. Initially I could massage it, then eventually it just wouldn't stay in. That's why we chose to tack it back when we neutered him. I am going to massage it back in tonight when I get home. I will try the allergy meds though. He hasn't really shown any issues with allergies - but at this point, i'll try anything. Thank you!!

His surgery hasn't been that long might be still sensitive. Man im praying Nyala's stays in. I feel for you cause I really don't want to go through that crap again. My vet said he will fix it for free if it comes out but who wants 2nd surgery? I do and nor does she im sure. Bummer!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.