cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Everyone I talk to tells me to get a doggy door installed to make life easier for everyone, dogs included. Do you have a doggy door for your bulldog and how is it working out? My fear with the door is that my bully will go outside but will then not be able to climb back inside, and it will be sweltering hot outside! :ohmy:

Would appreciate some thoughts, feedback, etc...!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We have one for our deck, not the yard and it is only open when we are home to supervise the time they are out. Cheli is very good at self regulating his time/heat, but Lambeau has not shown he can do that.... and, Banks, well, let's just say, we normally had to force her back in the house on really hot days

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I do not have one for my dog. All of the cats disappear in my neighborhood and black bears have been sited. I do not feel safe letting him out by himself. Instead, I have an area by the windows that he likes to lie in the sunshine. I always go out with him or am watching from the door.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I would be worried about overheating. Rukus and Regina will sun themselves until they're panting and just don't seem to mind. Unsupervised I'd be afraid they would overheat themselves. I guess it depends on how much your guys like to sunbathe

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
there are times i wished i had one for my little yorkies but I also have cats and although i appreciate the lovely gifts, birds, frog, bat,and snake one brings me i do not want them in my house, plus in order for my bullies to use it it would have to be a big one.. and i do like knowing when they are out and what they are doing.. i watch them close in the heat.. so in long run.. it wouldn't work for me.. i do have a little one for small dogs that lead out to my garage in the house. but the bulldogs can't fit their heads in it.. i keep it closed just in case they do try it..i wouldn't want to come home with a head stuck in it..

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have a large doggie door, but never had it installed. My bulldogs are sunworshippers, and they will not come in,if they are laying in the sun-I have to go get them and drag them in! They would stay out until they were crispy:awwwwman:

IPickedADaisy

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Apr 11, 2013
CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy Mae Hambone & Roscoe Pee Hambone (RIP)
I have one for Daisy and it works for us. She goes out and does her business and comes back inside. It works out well especially in the middle of the night if she has to go. I don't worry about the heat because she is not a sun worshipper she is more of a bed worshipper.

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
I have one that leads to my basement "dog room". It's a room closed in by itself with dog beds and concrete floors for cooling. I ad a fan in the summer too and my 4 dogs love it! I can't trust my pup out of her crate during the day and I'm gone too long for her to be crated so it works perfectly. We have a 6ft privacy fence that backs up to an acre of woods so I'm not concerned with other animals, etc. We have had it 3 years and I love it.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Agree with most others, Tyson has no concept of heat, he can be roasting til he's on fire and he'd still stay out there. I am like Lynn, I have to go drag him inside.... so I would be worried about the over-heating, and also for us, I'd be concerned with the possibility of him eating something since I'm not watching OR worse, someone takes them while they are out there, and I'm not there. #1 worry wort here!

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
I believe there is a significant risk as bulldogs in particular will start panting but won't have the sense to go back inside as they are overheating.

Depending on which part of the country you live in, if you are close to the woods, there is a chance that unwelcomed critters can enter your house as well.

I will not do it.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Thank you for everyone's feedback, I appreciate it! If I do get a doggy-door installed, I will definitely monitor the coming/going of my two boys 'cuz they're also prone to hang out in the sunshine a little longer than I'm comfortable with AND I just heard that a neighbor spotted a bob-cat in his backyard so....:fie: !!!

LouLanaro

Mar 31, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
I am a new bulldog owner(father) and learning very quickly if you give a bully a chance they can get themselves in all kinds of trouble.. mine will eat mulch/rabbit poo he thinks they are treats/dirt and God knows if left unattended. I was thinking of a door almost ordered one but NO not now.. he can stay on deck and come back in when it's time ...
regards
Lou

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have a doggie door, and frankly I leave it locked. After all the dognapping stories, I'm afraid of someone stealing a dog because they sneak out… AND of course the issue of them laying out in the sun.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thank you for everyone's feedback, I appreciate it! If I do get a doggy-door installed, I will definitely monitor the coming/going of my two boys 'cuz they're also prone to hang out in the sunshine a little longer than I'm comfortable with AND I just heard that a neighbor spotted a bob-cat in his backyard so....:fie: !!!

A bobcat! No doggie door, no doggie door!!! Retreat retreat!

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
On a somewhat related/unrelated note, has anyone seen the Amazon prime commercial with the mini horse and the doggy door? Hilarious stuff! I don't have a doggy door and don't think I'd get one unless I had a house with like a small fenced in porch, even then that would be supervised.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.