A few prayers needed

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Or maybe more than a few. As some of you recall, we added a new sweet Great Dane to our family 3 weeks ago. Unfortunately Curly has not taken well to the new addition and has attacked the puppy a few times now. There are no triggers, it just seems whenever there is some type of excitement he goes after the puppy.

Curly has never showed this level of aggression to anything and we are afraid for the puppy's life at this point.

A couple of examples happened over the last two days:

1. My husband was laughing at something, my older dog started barking and curly turned around and went after the puppy. The pup ended up with 3 staples.

2. Yesterday was the worst. All dogs were in the yard and I had ran in for a second. A friend stopped by unannounced and came into the yard and got the dogs excited. I was quickly ran outside as soon as I heard the dogs barking. Curly was on top of Jawnie viciously attacking him. When we were finally able to separate them Jawnie had a few broken bones and stayed overnight at the animal hospital. I have about a dozen puncture wounds and 3 stitches from trying to separate the two.

We have sadly decided to do something we never thought we would and rehome the Great Dane pup. He is only 13 wks so he is going to be a great dog once we find him a home. I am heart broken to say the least because I really got attached to this guy and I am hoping to rehome him to someone in my family.

If you all could do me a favor and say a little prayer for Jawnie that he will thrive in his new home wherever he goes. We love him so much and we really feel this is the best option for his well being.

49fe0ac9e409771ef60163a308694875.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So very sorry... I feel the pain in your words--- [emoji29][emoji29][emoji1317][emoji1317]

Sending prayers and hugs to you all

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Aw man, I'm so sorry!! I pray he thrives in his new home and that you'll be able to see him frequently.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
This is heartbreakingly sad, like Christine, I hear your pain...and guilt.

But I can tell, you will make sure Jawnie gets the very best home and
I sure hope it's family that takes him so you can visit him, such a beauty!

Am beyond sad that Curly is so aggressive & won't bend, it happens tho...
not YOUR fault and you couldn't known since he's never shown aggression.
I feel terrible that the last fight was so horrific & you & Jawnie were injured.

Please keep us updated and I lift you in prayer & send comforting hugs.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I am so sorry that you are going through this. I wish you the best of luck that you are able to find Jawnie a good home where you are able to still see him. He looks like such a sweet boy!

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Thank you all! I talked to my sister and it looks like she will be taking him. I just saw him at the hospital - he needs to stay an extra night. He needs daily visits to the vet for the few weeks before I can even think about rehoming him. We plan to muzzle curly and keep the 100% separated until he is good to go to a normal vet again.

At that point, we've decided the best option is to do rehab with him in philly for the next few months and I will move to my parents with my boston Terriers mixes (since they get along with Jawnie). Curly will stay in NoVA with my husband where he can get some more one on one training - our fear now is that he might turn on our older dogs.

2c8eb0b0323399f33c36c6ffc18204cd.jpg

1bf0898db7832d58c9556b7f2e298f08.jpg

d369614fb84b9b517646f13c691f213a.jpg

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
I had a similar experience. Porkchop had been a member of my 3-dog home for about 1.5 yrs. He would try to intimidate (or play?) the 2 9-yr old dachshunds (standard size, not minis), but they would light into him like fire. My blind dalmatian, Adam, got along well with Pork for that first 1.5 years and then suddenly Pork started attacking Adam when he was sleeping. Adam, who had come out as a winner with 2 pit bulls in fights, would fight back at first (My blind boy was an unorthodox fighter. He would get his arms around the opponent's neck and flip them on their backs and they would give up. I think Pork's stout stature was the reason Adam couldn't flip him). But being 12+ yrs old, it took a toll on him. One day Pork jumped Adam, Adam freaked and ran upstairs to his room. I noticed over the next few days that Adam would walk circles in his room for hours, was having accidents in the house (never before in 10 years) and just acting so odd. Apparently in the stress of it all, Adam had a stroke. We had to put him to sleep as he was just totally lost. Being blind just compounded his perception. The vet said Pork was probably picking up on Adam's senior age and his alpha status, so he started asserting himself. Adam couldn't read Pork's body language so didn't know his status was threatened. The wiener dogs, however, well, those dogs were fearless to the end. What I thought odd was Pork is scared of dogs when we go out in public. I had considered getting another dog to keep him company during the day as he seemed lonely after all the dogs passed. But since I'm not home to observe, I don't want to risk Pork attacking a newcomer. So the Pork Meister must be the sole dog of the house...and I'll leave the TV tuned to Animal Planet for him.

I hope your little Dane recovers and he'll thrive in his new home.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So sorry to hear about this, and I hope you can find a good loving family for your pup. He deserves to have a happy loving place. Poor baby, he has had a rough time of it. Unfortunately, sometimes a bully just will not tolerate another dog, especially if one is bigger.

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
So sorry to hear about this, and I hope you can find a good loving family for your pup. He deserves to have a happy loving place. Poor baby, he has had a rough time of it. Unfortunately, sometimes a bully just will not tolerate another dog, especially if one is bigger.

Curly has been around dogs of all sizes and paid little to no attention to them. So I don't think it's a size thing though but it might be more of a sound thing. When Jawnie is launched at/startled he makes this ungodly crying sound that literally sounds like an animal dying and that sound sets curly off. And as long as he continues making the noise it makes curly want to continue to attack.

Whatever it is about Jawnie, curly does not like him - maybe it's because he's a puppy or maybe it's because the sounds he makes or maybe it's because he feels threatened by him.

I will never be able to wrap my brain around it because curly has never exhibited such behavior around other dogs. We had honestly never considered curly to be an aggressive dog - this behavior is new and unfortunate. And has definitely put a nail in us having a fourth dog permanently.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
God Bless You, I am so sorry all this is happening. I am so glad your sister is going to take Jawnie. Love You, Take Care.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Sorry to hear about this but sounds like you have a good plan for the future! Best of luck and we wish the pup a speedy recovery!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Bringing in the GD pup has changed the family dynamic. Whatever triggers it, Curly's aggression is a sure sign that he's not going to tolerate the new guy. I'm glad you found a new home for him and he's getting the kind of care that he deserves. He's beautiful, BTW...I love Great Danes!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.