nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Just got back from meeting with the ortho surgeon. They recommended surgery as an insurance that things will heal properly but there is no reason for them to think it won't by just being in a splint. So instead of forking over $4500 for the surgery we are going to wait a week to see how things heal. He is in the splint for about 5 weeks and then he will head towards rehab, which I will do with him in Philly away from curly. We are going to try to reintegrate them when he is about 6 months to see if the aggression is still there/see if some one on one training will help with curly. If he is still displaying aggression we are going to rehome Jawnie to my sister

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
9b7bfcd386d1abd846bf31a620798852.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Or maybe more than a few. As some of you recall, we added a new sweet Great Dane to our family 3 weeks ago. Unfortunately Curly has not taken well to the new addition and has attacked the puppy a few times now. There are no triggers, it just seems whenever there is some type of excitement he goes after the puppy.

Curly has never showed this level of aggression to anything and we are afraid for the puppy's life at this point.

A couple of examples happened over the last two days:

1. My husband was laughing at something, my older dog started barking and curly turned around and went after the puppy. The pup ended up with 3 staples.

2. Yesterday was the worst. All dogs were in the yard and I had ran in for a second. A friend stopped by unannounced and came into the yard and got the dogs excited. I was quickly ran outside as soon as I heard the dogs barking. Curly was on top of Jawnie viciously attacking him. When we were finally able to separate them Jawnie had a few broken bones and stayed overnight at the animal hospital. I have about a dozen puncture wounds and 3 stitches from trying to separate the two.

We have sadly decided to do something we never thought we would and rehome the Great Dane pup. He is only 13 wks so he is going to be a great dog once we find him a home. I am heart broken to say the least because I really got attached to this guy and I am hoping to rehome him to someone in my family.

If you all could do me a favor and say a little prayer for Jawnie that he will thrive in his new home wherever he goes. We love him so much and we really feel this is the best option for his well being.

49fe0ac9e409771ef60163a308694875.jpg

i am so sorry you're going through this, and I know how much pain you must be feeling. Jawnie is beautiful, I love his markings and he's young enough that he will be able to adapt to a new home. I know how hard this will be but it seems to be the only option to keep him safe and injury free. I really hope you are able to rehome him with a family member so you can continue to see him and have contact with him.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Sorry to be reading this thread it would be terribly heartbreaking.

Hope he does go with your sister so you can stay in touch with him and see him grow

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
I am Praying for Jawnie to make a Full Recovery, and I Pray when you introduce them again to each other, Curly will accept Jawnie with loads of Love and there will not be any more problems.

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Just wanted to quickly update everyone. We brought Jawnie home last night and he is doing well. He's front leg is casted and it is so heavy that he can hardly move it without falling over. The vet said to limit his movement for the next 5 weeks as his broken bone heals - definitely not going to be a problem since he can barely move his leg due to the weight.

I ordered a harness sling for him to help him stand while we are outside - the cast is way to heavy for the little guy. My other fear is that his muscle development on his other limbs will be affected if I don't start forcing him to use his other legs for support.

Now the big question - how is curly taking to this? Well we section of the living room so the older dogs have to use the front dog and the pup has to use the back (we live in a ranch style house) the back has a patio and it is fenced off from the yard. They cannot see each other (my two older dogs have seen Jawnie but not curly).

We have not made any reintroduction yet but curly definitely smells the pup but has not seen him. He is not growling or behaving aggressively just whimpering a bit trying to figure out what is going on the other half of the living room. His energy level is a bit up so we keep sending him to bed (his kennel) and letting him come back into the living when he has calmed down. We are trying to work on an acceptable energy level when there are changes for him since both incidences occurred when there was a sudden change in the energy level.

We plan on doing reintroduction after he is healed/going through rehab - with a leash and a muzzle.

I honestly don't know if Curly knows what he did - was this some sort of innate behavior that something triggered?? My husband and I keep saying that the dog we saw on Saturday was not the dog we have grown to know and love for the last 2.5 years.

I am going to try to keep everyone updated in the next few weeks but I may not be online as much since my hands will be quite full. Thank you for all your warm words and prayers!

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
And here is a picture of my defiant little Boston pug, Mi'me who has figured out that she can jump over the barrier. Fortunately curly does not have any vertical capabilities and Mi'me is not extremely playful with the puppy in general. Sully who is by the TV tends to be the one that plays with the pup - he has stopped jumping too much in his older years. Curly is not in view and laying behind the couch

Excuse the mess - obviously we had to do a lot of rearranging

65dd782b8caf2ef310b148ff9bc40ea3.jpg

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
So I was thinking about the broken bone(s) -- which is really what makes the situation seem so intense -- A good friend of mine had gotten an Alaskan Klee Klai (think shrunken down yippy husky) puppy and it broke its back leg/hip while playing with a golden retriever puppy that was significantly bigger. The golden puppy wasn't being aggressive, he just weighed more and puppy bones are still developing. This makes me wonder if maybe Curly wasn't trying to inflict such extreme injuries, that maybe his 75 pounds of bully just landed on Jawnie breaking bones -- I'm not saying he was t being far too aggressive, but it gives me a little hope that they could be re-introduced. Do you guys have a good behaviorist or trainer to work with?

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
So I was thinking about the broken bone(s) -- which is really what makes the situation seem so intense -- A good friend of mine had gotten an Alaskan Klee Klai (think shrunken down yippy husky) puppy and it broke its back leg/hip while playing with a golden retriever puppy that was significantly bigger. The golden puppy wasn't being aggressive, he just weighed more and puppy bones are still developing. This makes me wonder if maybe Curly wasn't trying to inflict such extreme injuries, that maybe his 75 pounds of bully just landed on Jawnie breaking bones -- I'm not saying he was t being far too aggressive, but it gives me a little hope that they could be re-introduced. Do you guys have a good behaviorist or trainer to work with?

I wish this was the case but it was all out attack. Jawnie also lost a lot of blood from bites. Curly actually latched on to his leg and shook violently. And then was just in a "kill mode" from the dying animal sound Jawnie was making. I really think it's the sound that makes something click.

I was just watching curly and my 20 lb Boston pug play outside - running and chasing each other. Acting normal. Previously curly played with Jawnie like this too which is why we didn't think that he was going to eventually attack him without any obvious triggers.

Here is a video of them playing just a couple weeks ago

https://vimeo.com/160926398

If I have to be honest I think the dogs see me as the alpha and not my husband. I was away on business for a week and it was right before I came back when all "h - e double hockey sticks" broke out. The first incident happened on the Friday before I got back and on Saturday it hadn't stopped. Perhaps they were trying to pull ranks because of my absence

I'm trying to train my husband to not free feed them and to be consistent with all activities when I'm gone but he isn't. Not saying he is to blame at all - I'm just trying to pick apart what changed that much to cause a 180.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You are on to something... Hubby HAS to be consistent in the training or this type of thing will happen.. In dog world when there is no obvious leader... All heck does break loose.

I could be wrong, but in that video Curly seems to be showing dominance... Ears are back, chin is up and chest out with tight 'jumps' not really a run. Do you have a trainer that can view that and tell you?

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Thanks for the insight - definitely needed an outsiders view since I didn't think that was a dominant stance. He typically plays like that though (the jumping manner) but the chest up and tail up sure could be signs of dominance. Definitely something I will start correcting

Members online

No members online now.