A few prayers needed

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Curly has been around dogs of all sizes and paid little to no attention to them. So I don't think it's a size thing though but it might be more of a sound thing. When Jawnie is launched at/startled he makes this ungodly crying sound that literally sounds like an animal dying and that sound sets curly off. And as long as he continues making the noise it makes curly want to continue to attack.

Whatever it is about Jawnie, curly does not like him - maybe it's because he's a puppy or maybe it's because the sounds he makes or maybe it's because he feels threatened by him.

I will never be able to wrap my brain around it because curly has never exhibited such behavior around other dogs. We had honestly never considered curly to be an aggressive dog - this behavior is new and unfortunate. And has definitely put a nail in us having a fourth dog permanently.

How is Jawnie doing?

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
How is Jawnie doing?

No news yet. He is going to be seen by the orthopedic surgeon today to confirm that he does not need surgery. And from there we are going to find out if he can come home. When we saw him he was in good spirits and just wanted to cuddle.

Curly has been extra needy. I just don't get how we went from this on Thursday to all out murder by Saturday. I don't think I will ever understand.

I will keep everyone posted

https://vimeo.com/160605941

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Wow... Such a sweet video! And, Curley has always been good with all others--- so baffling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I just said a prayer as well and I hope/pray that Jawnie's recovery will go smoothly. You obviously love your fur-kids so much and want the best for all of them. Please continue to keep us posted on Jawnie's progress!

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Hi Nu and Stu. I am totally shocked to hear about Curly and his aggression. I would think he would be more of a big brother and show Jawnie the ropes an not attack another puppy. Curly was so laid back when I met him and just lovable mush of a bully. As such, I know how you must feel and I am sending you all the positive vibes and prayers I can muster. God bless. --rj.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
My God I am so sorry to here this , I would take him to join our hoards in a flash and think he would fit right in truly , any pup I have brought to the pack always fits as the pack adjusts and corrects as needed but never have I had any injuries I am heart broken for you , My prayers are sent I am so very sorry .

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Curly has been around dogs of all sizes and paid little to no attention to them. So I don't think it's a size thing though but it might be more of a sound thing. When Jawnie is launched at/startled he makes this ungodly crying sound that literally sounds like an animal dying and that sound sets curly off. And as long as he continues making the noise it makes curly want to continue to attack.

Whatever it is about Jawnie, curly does not like him - maybe it's because he's a puppy or maybe it's because the sounds he makes or maybe it's because he feels threatened by him.

I will never be able to wrap my brain around it because curly has never exhibited such behavior around other dogs. We had honestly never considered curly to be an aggressive dog - this behavior is new and unfortunate. And has definitely put a nail in us having a fourth dog permanently.

You might have a partial answer there that noise he makes when startled , I have seen a group of dogs that all knew each other well attack a or pile on a dog that showed signs of injury and or sounds of injury and I mean attack for NO reason. Jawnie being a pup also might come into play as he is trying to learn the ways of the group and will make a lot of mistakes like going to close when another dog is eating or lying in a older dogs bed ect ect Is Curly the dominate dog of the group ? if so he is dictating or maybe making a play to be the boss of the pack and what better way to show his dominance then on a pup or possible weaker part of the group . Just trying to help you figure this all out is all , I know I would be racking My brain and trying to fix My heart also .
Curly being around other dogs and no problems is great but it is very different when it is his own at home group or pack also .

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
Poor puppy : (. I think dogs just like humans have jealousy issues. I can tell if I pet one of my other dogs in front of my EB she will try to go after them. Luckily they just ignore her but I guess after having 2 pitbulls I didn't expect my bulldog to be the one with aggressive tendencies. I hope Jawnie can recover fast and that your sister can take him. At least that way you know where he went and how he is doing. Re-homing a pet is never easy but sometimes necessary for their welfare. I had to do the same with a puggle I had, I loved that dog but she was digging out and my other dogs were too rough with her. She ended up in the most amazing home where she was the only dog. It all will work out in the end.

buffym

Apr 30, 2013
Allen Park, Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie, Dually (Forever in my Heart)
Im so sorry your going through all of this!! Poor Jawnie he has really had it rough lately!! Glad to hear that he is on the mend and that your sister will be taking him. At least you can still see him and know he is well taken care of!!

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
You might have a partial answer there that noise he makes when startled , I have seen a group of dogs that all knew each other well attack a or pile on a dog that showed signs of injury and or sounds of injury and I mean attack for NO reason. Jawnie being a pup also might come into play as he is trying to learn the ways of the group and will make a lot of mistakes like going to close when another dog is eating or lying in a older dogs bed ect ect Is Curly the dominate dog of the group ? if so he is dictating or maybe making a play to be the boss of the pack and what better way to show his dominance then on a pup or possible weaker part of the group . Just trying to help you figure this all out is all , I know I would be racking My brain and trying to fix My heart also .
Curly being around other dogs and no problems is great but it is very different when it is his own at home group or pack also .

Curly is definitely not the alpha - my oldest Sully tends to lead the the approval of animals in the household. Sully loves the puppy.

The puppy was avoiding curly since the first biting incident on Friday so on Saturday when our friend came into the yard unexpectedly, because of all the excitement he went after the puppy violently. The puppy was no where around him -he just turned like a switch. Otherwise he is loving and caring for the pup but we can't determine what the trigger is. The little guy is only 35lbs and is no match for our 70lb guy that is all muscle. Maybe when he is older he will be able to hold his own but it's too much to risk and wait. We also can't afford another 5grand in bills.

We never thought about getting a dog that we would have to rehome but even with me home all day (I work from home) if I don't know what the triggers are I cannot prevent it from happening again. It all makes me terribly sad

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Hi Nu and Stu. I am totally shocked to hear about Curly and his aggression. I would think he would be more of a big brother and show Jawnie the ropes an not attack another puppy. Curly was so laid back when I met him and just lovable mush of a bully. As such, I know how you must feel and I am sending you all the positive vibes and prayers I can muster. God bless. --rj.

Since you met curly and know what a chill dude he is, I know you completely know how surprised and shocked we were that he wouldn't be welcoming. Maybe it's a puppy thing or maybe is just the dog himself. I will never know.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=9956]nubonics[/MENTION] I am so sorry that things are not working out for you, with the new pup. Poor baby ,what a shame. I know it is so traumatizing when you have a sweet dog, and then they turn and be like Curly did. It shakes your whole world seeing them like that. As my two Bullies sometimes fight over a toy-I have to make them quit-but I know they are not as mean as they can get. I hope you and the pup will heal okay, and it is sad but wonderful if your sister takes Jawnie. Sending prayers for you.:pray:

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Nu, I'm so sorry you guys are going through this! Curly, though? Chubby, calm Curly? He was such a huge sweetheart when I met him, just like [MENTION=11639]rjisaterp[/MENTION] said! There were definitely puppies at our play group that day and Curly just chilled out and watched the fun unfold around him. He even tolerated face kisses from Ruckus who was like whoa you're a big guy, let me smell you! Could it be that he is being protective of your older dogs and he takes the sound the puppy makes as threatening? Maybe until things calm down you could rotate Curly and the puppy and not let them see one another? One in he crate in another room at all times?

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Nu, I'm so sorry you guys are going through this! Curly, though? Chubby, calm Curly? He was such a huge sweetheart when I met him, just like [MENTION=11639]rjisaterp[/MENTION] said! There were definitely puppies at our play group that day and Curly just chilled out and watched the fun unfold around him. He even tolerated face kisses from Ruckus who was like whoa you're a big guy, let me smell you! Could it be that he is being protective of your older dogs and he takes the sound the puppy makes as threatening? Maybe until things calm down you could rotate Curly and the puppy and not let them see one another? One in he crate in another room at all times?

Yes, sweet chill laid back Curly has a Mr Hyde in him. I don't think he's being protective over the older dogs. The bostons were actually trying to protect the puppy when this was all happening (and probably me because I got in the middle of it all).

I am starting to theorize that curly might not know his strength or how to react to excitement and there might be two layers to this whole situation. Whenever he gets excited normally he runs for a toy to chew on. In both incidences there were no toys in sight and only Jawnie. Because Jawnie is easily scared and will Yelp loudly, it turns a switch on curly making his next reaction to stop the noise. As long as he makes the noise curly cannot turn off...

Needless to say Jawnie is terrified of curly and I don't know if he can unlearn that fear

For the next few weeks curly is going to be muzzled and we are going to keep them in separate rooms. We will let each dog socialize with our Boston Terriers but not with each other. Then I'm just going to head up to philly and do rehab with Jawnie and my Boston Terriers. I still want Jawnie to be around short face dogs and not fear them.

Curly is a very sweet guy and I really don't know what has made him turn. In a million years we would have never expected this.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Curly is definitely not the alpha - my oldest Sully tends to lead the the approval of animals in the household. Sully loves the puppy.

The puppy was avoiding curly since the first biting incident on Friday so on Saturday when our friend came into the yard unexpectedly, because of all the excitement he went after the puppy violently. The puppy was no where around him -he just turned like a switch. Otherwise he is loving and caring for the pup but we can't determine what the trigger is. The little guy is only 35lbs and is no match for our 70lb guy that is all muscle. Maybe when he is older he will be able to hold his own but it's too much to risk and wait. We also can't afford another 5grand in bills.

We never thought about getting a dog that we would have to rehome but even with me home all day (I work from home) if I don't know what the triggers are I cannot prevent it from happening again. It all makes me terribly sad

Yes i understand My heart goes out to guys I am so sorry , this will bug Me for a while as like you I have a pack of them also I was so excited about your new pup as I have Odin a Cane Corso and there wonderful big goofs truly , It is on My mind please let Me know how all works out
Nat

Members online

No members online now.