Toe cysts won't go away

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Porkchop developed one toe cyst in January. Did the epsom salt soaks and a round of Clavamox per my vet. It seemed to go away. Once he was off the antibiotic for one week, the cyst came back. I kept up with the epsom salts, got Vetricyn spray. It faded off and on. In February, it came back and he went through 2 more rounds of Clavamox, the last dose, was last week. Three days after that, now he has 3 toe cysts, two have erupted and the top edge of the large pad on his back paws (top of the heel) have started bleeding. I've been doing the epsom salt soaks and Vetricyn a couple times a day. I will take him back to the vet tomorrow (if I can get an appt).

Question: Is there another antibiotic that your vets have prescribed for the same ailment? Clavamox is an amoxicillin-type. How many rounds of antibiotics has it taken to get 100% clear of these cysts?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
These are due to an allergen... Have you changed anything with his diet or in the home ?

My boy was allergic to rice, once we identified that and removed it from his diet.. He never got another one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
paw7004

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Hmmm, the only thing different is the little piece of deli turkey that I wrap his Dasuquin pills in each evening. (He takes that due to bone spurs in the spine.) And he started on the Dasuquin about a month before the first toe cyst appeared. Maybe there is a link there? I'll change that and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree, change his diet. Lucy used to get them and we changed her food and they went away.

OP
paw7004

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Porkchop's cysts keep coming and going. He is now on 2nd round of Keflex, Epsom salt soaks twice a day, Vetracyn spray, Hibiclens while soaking. Diet restricted to his regular food and bedtime Milkbones. These things have persisted for almost 3 months. Must be painful as he does lick them when they erupt. He doesn't want to take his walks, understandably. Any more thoughts on cause? He had 1 cyst 4 yrs ago that cleared nicely with soaks. Oh, he's had a yeast infection in the nose folds and that's being treated. Correlation between cysts and yeast infections? My little feisty clown is no longer feisty or silly. :pray:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Clavamox 3x is alot. AND.......All Deli Meat has nitrates extremely bad for all of us. Also the other word they use is Celery Extract. Better off hide it in a piece of cheese. Just a thought :)

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Porkchop's cysts keep coming and going. He is now on 2nd round of Keflex, Epsom salt soaks twice a day, Vetracyn spray, Hibiclens while soaking. Diet restricted to his regular food and bedtime Milkbones. These things have persisted for almost 3 months. Must be painful as he does lick them when they erupt. He doesn't want to take his walks, understandably. Any more thoughts on cause? He had 1 cyst 4 yrs ago that cleared nicely with soaks. Oh, he's had a yeast infection in the nose folds and that's being treated. Correlation between cysts and yeast infections? My little feisty clown is no longer feisty or silly. :pray:

What brand and protein food are you using?

Also, Milkbones are junk... Nothing but fillers look for something grain free.

There is an allergy ... Could be in the food or something in the environment

OP
paw7004

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
His food is Wellness Ocean formula for 4 years with an added tsp of coconut oil once a day. He's always gotten a milkbone broken in half at night-he has to be bribed to go pee before lights out. I eliminated everything else. Though instead of deli turkey for the pill hiding, it's now buried in a 1"x1" square of Muenster cheese. Otherwise, he's restricted until we get this sorted out.

What about yard grasses? My little yard has been overtaken by some low spreading weed that I'm trying to pluck out, no herbicides.
Has anyone experienced their pet developing allergies as they get older?

Thanks for all the input!

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
you can also wipe his feet down good with a baby wipe every time he goes outside, we do that with Lola even if the grasses aren't an allergen for her.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Totally could be in the yard... All three of the bullies I've had were/are allergic to grass and some weeds. Do As April suggested... Wipe paws when coming in from outside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
paw7004

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Thanks for the advice on wiping the feet. I hate to see the Porkster so uncomfortable.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.