Bogey416

Nov 18, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bogey and Juice
Hey all! Happy Easter weekend!!... Bogey's got a show next weekend and we've been looking to put on a few extra pounds on his frame the past two weeks. Everything has been fine with him except the eating part. Bogey is currently on Acana duck and pear with cheeses, minced carrot and Orijen treats as toppers. We've also tried topping with tuna and some canned dog food. He'll usually just eat the toppers. He's maybe eaten two cups in the last 2-3 days. Water intake is the same. His activity/energy level has been the same more or less, no illness (that we can tell). We have never seen Bogey inhale his food so this is not all too concerning. He's not going to starve himself that's for sure. He still loves his treats.

Can Bogey be bored of his food?... How can I get this guy to put on a few extra pounds safely?... Thanks in advance!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Maybe just add some cooked meat to his food? Like ground turkey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bogey416

Nov 18, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bogey and Juice
Maybe just add some cooked meat to his food? Like ground turkey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for replying bullymama!... Just wanted to make sure it's okay to mix cooked food with kibble. We'll give that a go or I thought of maybe switching to Acana 60/40 regional formula from the 50/50 single protein they offer. Cheers!!

OP
B

Bogey416

Nov 18, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bogey and Juice
So it turns out that Bogey has bronchitis and that was the reason for him not eating. He's on meds now and doing better. With the bad news of Bogey getting bronchitis we also got the opportunity to give Bogey some 'satin balls' to regain the weight he lost in the past week. I've never seen Bogey eat with such enthusiasm!.. Satin balls are worth the try if you need to put some weight on your ill dog. Cheers!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
So it turns out that Bogey has bronchitis and that was the reason for him not eating. He's on meds now and doing better. With the bad news of Bogey getting bronchitis we also got the opportunity to give Bogey some 'satin balls' to regain the weight he lost in the past week. I've never seen Bogey eat with such enthusiasm!.. Satin balls are worth the try if you need to put some weight on your ill dog. Cheers!

Poor Bogey! But so happy you got to the bottom of it, and he's on the mend :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

So happy to see you found the reason and he is doing better! Please keep us posted

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel

I have to ask--what are satin balls? I am glad he is doing better. Isn't it a shame they can't talk to us to tell us when something is wrong? Is he still showing this weekend? If so, good luck! :judges:

OP
B

Bogey416

Nov 18, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bogey and Juice
I have to ask--what are satin balls? I am glad he is doing better. Isn't it a shame they can't talk to us to tell us when something is wrong? Is he still showing this weekend? If so, good luck! :judges:

There's a dog named 'Dug' in the movie 'Up!' He has a collar that interprets his barking into English (or Japanese). I wish that was a real thing!.. Hahaha!

Satin balls is a quick way for your pet to gain a few pounds after surgery, before/after pregnancy or any dog that needs weight put on in a short amount of time.. The ingredients consists of ground meat, steel oats, molasses, cottage cheese, sea green powder, raw eggs (with shells) and coconut or salmon oil. You can find several recipes for satin balls online but they are all pretty similar. Was nervous about the grain in it but Bogey hasn't had any reaction to it. Only issue now is that I'm afraid he may not want to go back to the Acana he's been eating. Raw is probably best anyways.

Yes!. Bogey did go to the Sudbury dog show this past weekend with the breeder. And for his first show he did amazingly well. Very well behaved. Bogey got first place in his age category and sex. Second in his entire age group and got his first show point. So proud of him!! :yes: I'm new to the dog show scene so I'm not sure exactly what that means. Maybe someone here can chime in and enlighten me. Next show is later in the month in Guelph. More satin balls are in Bogey's near future......

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Congratulations, Bogey!

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Congrats to Bogey! I don't know how many points it takes to be a champion in the CKC. [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION], can you help?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So happy you found out he was sick, and he is all better now. Satin balls work pretty well. You can also start adding in his kibble and slowly reduce the satin balls if you want to ween him off them. You can also use Feta cheese added to his kibble to help him want to eat.

As far as championship points with CKC (Canadian Kennel Club) you need 10 points to became a champion. This is less than with AKC, which you need 16 points with at least two majors, which consist of a show where you get 3 to 5 points. The more dogs showing against you the more points you receive. CKC and AKC have different points systems. Here is a link to CKC's Conformation rules. Go to section 15 for the points breakdown.
http://www.ckc.ca/en/Archived/By-Event-Type/Conformation/Conformation-Show-Rules-and-Regulations

OP
B

Bogey416

Nov 18, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bogey and Juice
So happy you found out he was sick, and he is all better now. Satin balls work pretty well. You can also start adding in his kibble and slowly reduce the satin balls if you want to ween him off them. You can also use Feta cheese added to his kibble to help him want to eat.

As far as championship points with CKC (Canadian Kennel Club) you need 10 points to became a champion. This is less than with AKC, which you need 16 points with at least two majors, which consist of a show where you get 3 to 5 points. The more dogs showing against you the more points you receive. CKC and AKC have different points systems. Here is a link to CKC's Conformation rules. Go to section 15 for the points breakdown.
http://www.ckc.ca/en/Archived/By-Event-Type/Conformation/Conformation-Show-Rules-and-Regulations

Thanks for the reply Davidh!... I was not sure if I should mix raw and kibble but we'll give it a go. Bogey seems to do pretty well with whatever we give him. Only issue we have is that he will pick through his food for the good stuff causing a huge mess of kibble.. We've tried organic baby food without any success.. Bogey LOVES cheese so we'll give feta a try.

Thanks for the brief but informative feedback regarding shows Davidh!!. I can't wait to see him strut his stuff later this month!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.