ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Bill and I are both noticing that Mabel is slowing down--as if that is possible. :blush2: Her respiratory issues are bad again, but we both think putting her through another surgery would be too hard on her little body. She is anywhere between 7 and 9 years old. We love this little girl so much; we hate to think about losing her. She has been a very bright spot in our lives and we thank Detroit Bulldog Rescue for entrusting us with her. She has never been healthy, despite what the idiot breeder told them.

When I see videos of your beautiful bulldogs barking, running, and playing, I am reminded that she has never had that. We heard her bark one time and we're all shocked--even Mabel! While we have given her the life of a princess, she has never been a "real dog." It makes me very sad.

With the losses suffered by EBN members this past week, we have both been made very aware that Mabel could go, too. Hug your babies close. They're with us such a short time.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 166
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 163

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Awwwwa......No matter what you think, Mabel knows she went to a great home. You guys gave and still giving her a fantastic life that a lot of dogs will/never have or had. They all slow down and we can't do much about it but continuing being there for them and loving them. They're our little troopers. :yes:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So love her.... You gave her a royal life and will continue to--- she may not play, but she is one very happy girl cause she knows love ❤️❤️❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
:heart: Mabel :heart: It is always so hard to think about losing them. One amount of comfort should be that you and Bill have given her so much love and have spoiled her as she deserves. Hopefully you will have much more time with her and even if it is too short, she has had a quality life in her last years and that is what counts.

My husband and I hug Frank every day at least once (usually more) and always say good night to him since time on earth can be so fleeting.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I bet you she knows she's loved and adored.

Thank you for the reminder to love our bullies...

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Unfortunately we all have to face this with loved ones-If you do the best for them,and give them love and care-you have done your best. Sometimes that love means to let go. Sort of like, if your dog had a living will-what would it say. Just enjoy every day you have as much as you can,and know that you have given her a life she couldn't have dreamed of, before she found you! Everyone loves Mabel,and she doesn't know she didn't have a "real" life,she had a "royal" life,it coouldn't have been any better for her! :blowkiss:@ChrisRN

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Slowing down is not a bad thing Chris. Tyson started to slow down around 8 yrs old. But he is great, it's better that at this age they slow down, just relax & chill more. Kinda just like us getting older - I also hate to think about "it" but I enjoy everyday I get. And yes he's slowed down over the years but he's still my baby, and as long as Mabel is eating, drinking, using the restroom, she's great. Remember that ;)

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Your Mabel reminds me of Harvey. I would flash a pic of Mabel to my kids and they always ask me where I took that picture of harvey.

Nonetheless, our family members, love ones will come and go. Please remind ourselves that we are all fortunate to have one another during difficult times since we were so loved and in turn gave so much love. Mabel knows this and deep inside she very thankful for having this life surrounded by people who love her.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Such wonderful responses from these members to you, Chris.

We all love Mabel and all the money you & Bill have spent to
help her with so many issues has been well spent and do not
think, hasn't made a huge difference in her quality of life!
I remember the awful shape she was in ;(

Thank God, she came to your home! I send loving hugs to all.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Whoooa Ms Mabel isn't going anywhere. She's too busy enjoying life with you guys! She only slowed down. Hey I hit 50 and sure aint 20 anymore lolll just enjoy her and go out there and do things with her which im sure you're already doing. That's why Ms Mabel is enjoying loving you guys!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
I don't know any history about Mabel or her wonderful family but I can tell from this post that she has found 2 amazing people with which to spend her remaining days. They all slow down as they age and she's as much a Bulldog as any. Some play, some are lazy, some are loners and some can't be alone. She's just being Mabel...
Keep doing what you're doing and many thanks for rescuing

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Mabel may not have run and played like others but she's received the special gift of you to love her and give her a life she never would have had. You and Bill should be proud of what you've given her and enriched her life more than you realize. Hopefully she gets through these respiratory issues and you have many more years to love her!

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Chris, Mabel is One Lucky Lady to have a Family that Loves her the Way You do, and the Way She Loves You. I Pray Mabel will be with you a long time, You gave her Love, Love is What Keeps Us Going through thick and thin. Please give Mabel a Hug and Kiss from Me and Elmo.

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
Yes, Mabel is very lucky. Any rescue dog or cat - I know the cat always does it - knows they are blessed when they get their forever home. My Mickey came from Lone Star Bulldog Rescue. He was a stray when they received him and he had health issues as well. My vet figured he was anywhere from 11 to 12 years old. I had him for 1 year and 3 months before he passed from cancer. He knew my home was his forever home when he first walked in the door the day I was blessed to get him. He walked through the whole house - every room! Then he went out back and walked around the back yard - everywhere! He just knew and Mabel knows as well. The day he passed he put his chin on my arm to say "Thank you momma".

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
Keep loving Mabel , expiration dates are not written in stone. Enjoy the moment and present the future will take care of itself.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online