My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Christine, I did try to shave the side of his face, Elmo goes nuts when he hears the sound of the groomer coming towards him. He is on Prednisone, but he is itching really bad, what can I do about his itching these sores? Thank You All So Much.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Christine, I did try to shave the side of his face, Elmo goes nuts
when he hears the sound of the groomer coming towards him. He is on Prednisone, but he
is itching really bad, what can I do about his itching these sores? Thank You All So Much.

Susan, if the itching keeps up then you may have to put a cone on him.

Your Vet should have shaved those spots especially that large one on the
side of his face.

Prayers & love sent your way <3

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Christine, I did try to shave the side of his face, Elmo goes nuts when he hears the sound of the groomer coming towards him. He is on Prednisone, but he is itching really bad, what can I do about his itching these sores? Thank You All So Much.

Understood, but your vet really should have done this for you, and if he does not leave it alone, you should get him a cone (one of the soft ones, not the plastic). Do you have a groomer nearby that can shave it for you, if not... I would call the vet office and ask that they do it --- the fur being there is not good for the healing process.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Understood, but your vet really should have done this for you, and if he does not leave it alone, you should get him a cone (one of the soft ones, not the plastic). Do you have a groomer nearby that can shave it for you, if not... I would call the vet office and ask that they do it --- the fur being there is not good for the healing process.

Great idea! If Elmo continues trying to scratch then call Vet & ask
to bring him in for shaving them, they let them do things to them much easier.
Letting air get to them really helps in their healing. You might buy pure aloe gel
& purified water and make a spray.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
I did try to shave the side of his face...
I cannot stress the importance of getting those affected areas shaved. They need to dry out and the crusty hair is preventing that from happening. And I emphatically agree with others that your VET should have done that!..it's disappointing that they failed to do so.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Poor Elmo that looks so sad it must be so irritating, Susan I'm sorry I have just seen your post I hope Elmo is getting some relief by now with the meds.

OP
My Otis

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Elmo was scratching so much the Vet put him on Apoquel 16mg. Have any of you had experience with this Med. for your 4 legged Babies? I just hate it that My Big Boy Elmo is on so much Med. I will post another picture of Elmo this weekend. I will see if the Vet can shave his neck for me. Thank You Again Precious People for caring about My Elmo.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Elmo was scratching so much the Vet put him on Apoquel 16mg. Have any of you had experience with this Med. for your 4 legged Babies? I just hate it that My Big Boy Elmo is on so much Med. I will post another picture of Elmo this weekend. I will see if the Vet can shave his neck for me. Thank You Again Precious People for caring about My Elmo.
[MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] [MENTION=7260]Chumley[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22

Harlea is on it and it is a god send. Within hours of her first dose she had pretty much stopped scratching. We are 3 weeks in and her dosage has been reduced so we see a bit of scratching but it isn't bad at all. All around I feel that the treatment is worth it for sure.

mybrindlegirl

May 30, 2015
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Püppy
Poor sweet boy - I'm so sorry Elmo and you have to go through this, I'm sorry, I can't be of any help because I have no experiences with hot spots - - I'm praying that he will feel better very soon and that the medication helps rapidly:pray::hug:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington

Praying that Elmo is healing nicely now, Susan.

Finn was on Apoquel also and it helped with his itching TREMENDOUSLY. I hope Elmo will feel some relief very soon! (((((((HUGS)))))))

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Hershey has been on Apoquel for almost 3 years now. When i got him he was in such great shape but I was told he went through hell for the longest time until Apoquel solved all of his issues... I attempted to take him off just to see if his allergies were environmental as he spent his first years in Delaware and I'm in New York..within 2 days he started getting red welts on his underside and between his toes so I put him back on. I'm not crazy about the idea of him being on meds either but considering the alternative it's never been a concern. It really does work wonders for him and it was so hard to get. Until recently I had to get it shipped from his old vet as it wasn't readily available here. Now it seems the supply has met the demand. Good luck with it I hope it works as well for you on Otis!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.