Taking a puppy out in the cold

matador

Mar 14, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
El Chapo
Hey Everyone,

I am wondering what do you all do on cold morning/days when it's very cold... Here in Minnesota we are at that point where our mornings are 10-20 degrees, believe it or not that's actually good for us! Our winters are easily below zero, how long should I let my boy be out in the mornings before bringing him in? He is an 8 week olde english bulldogge

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I would just take him out until he does his "business" and then bring him in. He is so young,and you don't want him to catch a cold,then get worse.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I agree with Manydogs, I would take him out just for short potty breaks until it warms up. 8 weeks is pretty young and you don't want him getting a cold or getting sick. Small short walks are okay but I would put a sweater or a coat on him to help keep him warm. Bullies are very sensitive to extreme temperatures hot or cold and need to be protected from both.

Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
Hey Everyone,

I am wondering what do you all do on cold morning/days when it's very cold... Here in Minnesota we are at that point where our mornings are 10-20 degrees, believe it or not that's actually good for us! Our winters are easily below zero, how long should I let my boy be out in the mornings before bringing him in? He is an 8 week olde english bulldogge

I also live in MN (Minneapolis) and usually only let Boris outside for a quick pee and poo then its right back to bed in the AM, but on average I'd say we only have him outside for 5 or so minutes (depends on long it takes him). Then if we take him on walks we bundle him up in a jacket and put rubber paw protectors on him to save his paws from the salts on the streets and sidewalks.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would just take him out until he does his "business" and then bring him in. He is so young,and you don't want him to catch a cold,then get worse.

Agreed!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
8 weeks???? Errrrrrrr no. Doubt you would stay out there without a jacket. Same for your little guy :)

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Hey Everyone,

As minimal exposure to elements as possible. Pups can catch a cold that can turn to pneumonia overnight.
Cheers,
Raghu

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Hey Everyone,

Buy a good coat 009.jpg012.jpg021.JPG014.jpg023.jpg

We live in Northern Ont Ca so have the same Temps , now as he/she grows you will have to get larger ones but versus health issues it is worth it all , we prefer waterproof and velcro conectors only , you can buy velcro any where and add to the existing velcro on the coat to make it last longer length of wear time . Take the dog and make sure you get the right fit OEB necks are huge compared to other dogs lottsa wrinkles and folds so the neck is important to fit correct , these pics are Rosie at 8 or 9 weeks old she was very warm in this coat the coat is made by RC coats `

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Nyala with vest.jpg

Like you Nat living in some cold parts in Canada sure can get cold. Nyala has a jacket that has a special lining reflector. Keeps the body heat. She wears her vest when we go out in the truck.....as for backyard it's in and out only for her business. These bullies are not meant to be outside. My GS I use to have would walk n walk n walk in the house till I put him outside. He just loved it in the cold even at -35 and more. They are equipment with double coat of fur. And still I never left him long at them temperature. It's just plain logic. :)

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I also live in MN (Minneapolis) and usually only let Boris outside for a quick pee and poo then its right back to bed in the AM, but on average I'd say we only have him outside for 5 or so minutes (depends on long it takes him). Then if we take him on walks we bundle him up in a jacket and put rubber paw protectors on him to save his paws from the salts on the streets and sidewalks.

Mabel goes out on those cold, West Michigan mornings, does her pee and poop and comes right back in as quickly as possible. At his age, any longer might be harmful.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online