Lockjaws big day!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Yeayyy so happy all went perfect! He'll feel so much better now with his new nares :) Sending hugs!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So happy it all went well and he is back at home.... Prayers for a quick recovery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dfestaiuti

Dec 1, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Beef (aka "the beast")
Prayers for a quick and smooth recovery from beef and I!!! Lockjaw is a handsome pup!

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I'm so glad it went well! I hope he does well with the cone for us that was the worst part!

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
I am so Glad that Lockjaw is doing so Good, God Bless this Precious Soul, he is a Strong Guy with a Big Heart.

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
I'm so glad it went well! I hope he does well with the cone for us that was the worst part!

OMG- I think that's the worst part right now. I think he's coping well with spending most of his time locked up- but he's hating the cone! Last time I let him out - just for a little break he started scooting on the floor with the cone- sorry bud, back in the kennel. Lol
I went ahead and slowly started him in his pain meds when we got home. Gave him 1/2 serving of food with 1/2 dose meds. Penny threw up and had horrible diarrhea, so I wanted to start slow with him. He's held it all down. So right before we were headed to bed, I gave him another 1/2 serving food and meds. He was starting to get antsy in the kennel.
These next 10 days need to fly by! Lol

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
The cone the vet put on lasted about 12 hours before Murray chewed through it, then I got him the blow up cone and although he did go through 3 of them in the end he tolerated it a lot better and I think it was more comfy for him to sleep in! Good luck and hang in there!!

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
The cone the vet put on lasted about 12 hours before Murray chewed through it, then I got him the blow up cone and although he did go through 3 of them in the end he tolerated it a lot better and I think it was more comfy for him to sleep in! Good luck and hang in there!!

Oh no!!! So far this one is holding up. It's only until next weekend. He's been sleeping like this: lol!

15300ea2ca639de788ebaf0e124587b9.jpg

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Seeing Lockjaw in that kennel makes me sad. The last time one of our guys came home with a cone like that, we determined that it was WAY to big in terms of how far it sticks out. Collars/cones are sized by "neck" and not legs. IOW, since a Bully has a huge neck and short legs, most collars stick out entirely too far. It only needs to be big enough to keep the paws/claws away from the surgery site. I ended up cutting 3-4 inches all the way around and it worked great...much less banging into furniture, cabinets, shins, etc. and more importantly, easier on the patient.
If you do cut away some of it be sure to take a emery board and smooth out the cut edge a little.
Get well soon big boy!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Lose the plastic cone... Get a softcone or inflated one--- so much better for them

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Seeing Lockjaw in that kennel makes me sad. The last time one of our guys came home with a cone like that, we determined that it was WAY to big in terms of how far it sticks out. Collars/cones are sized by "neck" and not legs. IOW, since a Bully has a huge neck and short legs, most collars stick out entirely too far. It only needs to be big enough to keep the paws/claws away from the surgery site. I ended up cutting 3-4 inches all the way around and it worked great...much less banging into furniture, cabinets, shins, etc. and more importantly, easier on the patient.
If you do cut away some of it be sure to take a emery board and smooth out the cut edge a little.
Get well soon big boy!

I actually thought about cutting it. He finally started sleeping on his side/back. It's just the worst when we go outside for him to use the bathroom, bc when he puts his head down it catches on the ground.
3cdd83bf0400b1bedea910aae28eb5bc.jpg

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
So happy that Lockjaw is doing well! Two of my girls had the entropion,one had nares also.
They wore the cone for two weeks each. After awhile they learned to keep their head up,when they walked. I did have to hold their dish,so they could eat. It was hard on the backs of my legs as they followed me and the cone would get me!
After several days,they just learned how to control the cone! I did have to wipe it quite a bit,from them going outside. Good luck Lockjaw!

Most Reactions