Need Opinions on Vegas and allergies/food.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
A little over 6 months ago when I found this site, I was searching for some help because Vegas was a mess with allergies, I was feeding him Iams. Through this site I learned to get him on a good food he is on Nature's Variety Instinct grain/gluten free Salmon and has done beyond fabulous on it. He has been on this food for over 6 months now.

This last month, his face is becoming very red again, he smell's a little worse than normal, and has been itching alot. BUT we are on a high Pollen count here in Florida. On a scale of 1-10 it has been like 10.7 the last few days.

I am taking him to the Vet in the morning for his anal gland expression (he let's me know when he is full) I am considering trying another food for him. What do you think??? should I contribute the itchiness to the pollen or should I try a food change?

His tear stains are so bad right now. When I had him out a little bit ago to pee I could actually see the wetness running down the sides of his face with the sun on his face. On top of it all, we have a giant grapefruit tree in our back yard that is starting to bloom, it really messed him up last year.

I have just noticed a drastic change in him this last month with the redness and how dirty his face is even though I wash and dry his face daily. Do you think it is our unusually warm weather and pollen or is it time to try a new food.??? Thanks for your opinion, it will help me decide to do a food change or just contribute it to this month being high on Pollen.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I'm thinking it's likely the pollen. Do you give him benadryl or anything like that?

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION], I give him prescription from our Vet antihistamine, that made him sooo hyper!!! after that pill I have been giving him only Benadryl every morning and night, it does not seem to be helping to much.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
I think it might be the weather and allergens flying around and also the humidity. Regarding His wrinkles and face, I think is because of the way they are always sniffing(I dont know about Vegas,but Mocha sticks her face right in the ground to sniff)it gets dirty. I give Mocha Natural Balance Limited Ingredients(no grain formula) I tell you is great!!! But lately Ive been reding about switching once in a while between foods its good for your dog(providing you do it gradually and its a good quality food) I got California Natural-grain free and have been introducing it slowly.Just for a little break in the rutine.I think maybe you should do the same and get something else, Innova is wonderfull also, and there is a list on the website with lots of great alternatives. I hope this helps a little:heart:

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
Well......Maybe if you Stop feeding him horse flies he wouldn't be so bad. :lol: sorry I had to lol just got done reading ur fb

Momma2Bullet

Jan 15, 2011
NE Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullet {booboo}
Bullet has had more eye tears more than usual these past few weeks and it's starting to warm up here (between the spuratic snows...that's Indiana for ya). i started giving him benedryl and it's helped a lot. i think it's the pollen or something with the environment for my guy.

maybe the vet can suggest something?!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would really think it is the pollen that is effecting him at this time of year. My vet prescribes hydroxizine for an antihistamine, it is actually for humans, but it works really well.

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], we go to the vet in the morning for his glands, I think it is time to get another allergy shot also, I was SOOO hoping it was not his food. I did not want to try to find the right one again, I was going to try Fromm, My gut feeling is the Pollen, everyone I know including Joe is a mess this last week. Tonight I did a extra careful, long face wash and dry, I did his ears outside and massaged the cleaner for about 5 min. and gave him a benadryl, although he hated all of it, he is snoring and at peace as I type.

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
It sounds like its environmental allergies, I use Zyrtec and Claritin instead of benedryl. Nature's Variety is formulated so you can rotate... so changing the protein source wouldnt be hard on Vegas id you wanted to try a different formula.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I agree with the general concensus that it is the pollen in the air ... and especially as you say the grapefruit tree is starting to bloom and you have experience that it affects Vegas badly!!! Maybe try washing his face and feet everytime he comes in might help???

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I feel you [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION]. Samson had a bad reaction when I tried the NVI duck and turkey, it's been a week since I have had him back on the salmon and its been getting better but not alot better, his face still hasn't looked this bad since he was 1.5 years old when his allergies first developed. I'd really like to go back to Fromm honestly. I am just afraid if I reintroduce a food with potatoes that the ear infections will come back :(

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.