Spot on chin and phlegmy cough at night

NicolaM

Mar 21, 2016
Country
England UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Romeo
hi wondering if anyone can help, I have a 14 week old male bulldog called Romeo (he was my valentines pressie) we've got his 2nd jabs booked in next Saturday as unfortunately he got an infection at 9 weeks so couldn't have his first jabs until 11weeks. Since his infection he's started to have this weird phlegmy noise at night where it sounds like he has a fur ball (like a cat) he doesn't bring anything up ever, I've tried lemon in his mouth and put the apple cider vinegar in his water however it doesn't get rid. We took him to the vets for his first injections at 11 weeks and his lungs were clear but just didn't know if this was normal bulldog noise at night? Today I've noticed he's got two spots on his chin could this be where he's drinking and is wet?

Has anyone else experienced this?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!!

Did they do another x-ray to make sure that he lungs had cleared up from the infection? Some bulldogs have elongated pallets and that will make them cough up, does he have any trouble eating his food? You may want to have his pallet checked by the vets...

Spots on the chin can very well be from water/food on his chin… could you take a pic to show us?

OP
N

NicolaM

Mar 21, 2016
Country
England UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Romeo
Hi

They have never done X-rays on him unfortunately, he's fine eating and is fine through the day it just seems to come once he's been asleep. I do worry as he's my baby!! He seems to currently be going through a phase of wanting to bite everyone at home between 5-7pm I don't know if it's cos he needs to get out and doesn't like being at home but until he's had his 2nd injections I can't take him anywhere which is a nightmare. There's two spots, one looked a bit sore but when i wiped it the pus was on the wet wipe. I will make sure we keep drying under his chin after water

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
The spots sound like "Bully acne". Make sure he's not eating/drinking from plastic bowls. Stainless Steel, glass, and glazed ceramic are best.
Keep an eye/ear out for his breathing as he may be developing pneumonia...very bad for Bulldogs as they are high risk for any type of breathing issue. Do not hesitate to take him back to the vet if the condition worsens in the least.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
When you go to the vet, make sure you have him listen to Romeo's lungs,and tell him about the worries you have. Puppies normally bite-anything they can. When he bites,tell him "no bite" and put a toy in his mouth! This will be repeated until he learns,and loses his baby teeth. Most EB pups get the "zoomies" twice a day! Mine sure did,and they were wild!

OP
N

NicolaM

Mar 21, 2016
Country
England UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Romeo
Thank you, yes at first I had plastic bowls but they lasted a day and I bought stainless steel ones after reading about it on here. I'm going to keep the area under his chin dry and will also remind the kids to dry him if they hear him drinking.

I will take him back if it gets worse, he's had it now for 5 weeks and been vets three times so will ask them to check everything again when we go back. They have never mentioned X-rays before so will also ask if this needs to be done

Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
The spots sound like "Bully acne". Make sure he's not eating/drinking from plastic bowls. Stainless Steel, glass, and glazed ceramic are best.

Bully Acne is a battle you'll likely deal with their whole life. As [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] said make sure he's not using a plastic bowl for drinking and or eating. You will also want clean his face daily to avoid more outbreaks.

I've used the following wipes on Boris since he was 8 weeks.

Pet Grooming Wipes : Amazon.com: DermaPet MalAcetic Wet Wipes/Dry Bath, 100 Count

OP
N

NicolaM

Mar 21, 2016
Country
England UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Romeo
He is literally fine and then has these mad moments where he's out to bite anything and everything, I've started to keep his chew toys near and have started giving him these everytime he bites, sometimes he's so cheeky and quick though and sneaks up and then jumps in with his teeth. Hopefully it stops once his baby teeth are gone.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
sometimes he's so cheeky and quick though and sneaks up and then jumps in with his teeth.
That sounds like my Lala, except she never puts teeth on people...she does it to our other bullies. She'll camp out in her kennel and wait for one to walk by and bam, like she's shot out of a cannon, grab their back leg and game on! Some never grow out of it.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.