MFrey2012

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Well All, This girl gota ahead of herself...

Took her Urine sample in this AM, and she has ANOTHER UTI:angry:, anybody have any suggestions on how to PREVENT them, this will be her 2nd one, and the poor girl is JUST 5 Mos old??

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Poor little gal. Do you think she drinks much water? Not drinking enough could be a problem. Also cranberry is supposed to be beneficial for the bladder. I would wait on that, until she finishes all her meds. If she doesn't drink enough-give her some salt,or broth. I would also wipe her whenever she pees,maybe she's a "lowrider" and touches the ground.

OP
MFrey2012

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Poor little gal. Do you think she drinks much water? Not drinking enough could be a problem. Also cranberry is supposed to be beneficial for the bladder. I would wait on that, until she finishes all her meds. If she doesn't drink enough-give her some salt,or broth. I would also wipe her whenever she pees,maybe she's a "lowrider" and touches the ground.

Hi Lynn!! :) - she MOST definitely a "low rider" :), I do have little bit of difficult time with her drinking water, at night when she comes home from "school" she will eat dinner, and we let her out everytime she asks, and then in the evening about 7ish she will crash and go to sleep, and at about 8-9ish she will wake up and go to her bowl take a large drink, we then wake her up at about 10pm and make her potty, which she is usually LESS than Thrilled about, and then we head to bed for the night at 10pm and we are up at 5AM, and she goes right outside the second she wakes, I must admit, I have been a bad mommy and have not been wiping her :( as Im not sure the cleaning wipes I have are the right kind to be using, they more of a Grooming wipe (Earthbath Puppy Grooming wipes) and she also goes to Daycare during my work week, and with many dogs, they are not able to do that specifically wipe her after every pee, but I did reach out to them, and they going to make sure she has water Inside (during her "down" time) and outside, and encourge her to drink more, and I am also going to purchase Ellie, her own Crate Pad, for Naptime, which they said will be cleaned daily, they also going to slow her playing down, as apparently she is quite the "player" when she is outside.

So right now the Vet is putting her back on a 2 week regimen of Clavamox, and 250MG of Vitamin C, and then we are going to retest, at that time I think I'm going to ask for a Urine Culture, to make sure this darn infection is gone, GONE!!

She is such a happy puppy otherwise, it kills me she has to go through all this at such a young age

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well All, This girl gota ahead of herself...

Took her Urine sample in this AM, and she has ANOTHER UTI:angry:, anybody have any suggestions on how to PREVENT them, this will be her 2nd one, and the poor girl is JUST 5 Mos old??

Damn! Banks used to get them a lot for just the reason you stated 'low rider', we had to wipe after each to keep it at bay. then when she was around 1 1/2, I think, she had to have a vulvaplasty because the UTI would not go away, she just had way too much skin in the area and too much moisture was always there so it was a losing battle

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=15424]MFrey2012[/MENTION] You can use unscented baby wipes to wipe her with.

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Wipe, wipe and wipe. Keep the area as clean as possible.
To encourage water consumption, try chicken broth (or as I call it boiled and cooled down chicken water)
Take a liter of water, dunk a few pieces of chicken, slow boil for 20 mins and cool to room temp.
Dogs cannot resist this drink. But it also means more peeing and more wiping.
If you are out of baby wipes, even normal toilet tissue will do.
The idea is to get the moisture and gunk out.

Cheers,
Raghu

OP
MFrey2012

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
To encourage water consumption, try chicken broth (or as I call it boiled and cooled down chicken water)
Take a liter of water, dunk a few pieces of chicken, slow boil for 20 mins and cool to room temp.

Cheers,
Raghu
[MENTION=13485]raghu[/MENTION] - Silly question, is the chicken raw when you start the cooking??

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
@raghu - Silly question, is the chicken raw when you start the cooking??

Yep raw chicken.
If using boneless then you can feed the shreds too.
If using chicken with bone, you need to de-bone and fee only meat.
Cooked bones becomes brittle and can be hazardous.

OP
MFrey2012

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Yep raw chicken.
If using boneless then you can feed the shreds too.
If using chicken with bone, you need to de-bone and fee only meat.
Cooked bones becomes brittle and can be hazardous.
Perfect thanks!! im lazy, we only use boneless chicken in my house :-)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jellyfish

Mar 24, 2016
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank

Cheers,
Raghu
Can you use store bought broth, like low sodium? How often and how much should you allow your bully to drink?

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Can you use store bought broth, like low sodium? How often and how much should you allow your bully to drink?

I would recommend diluting store bought broth heavily as it contains salt.
Start with 1 part broth and 4 parts plain water and try. The idea is to coax your bully to drink more water.
Since my EB is raw fed, she is getting a good portion of daily water requirements from meat itself.
In addition, she can handle dairy quite well, so she usually gets a bit of milk/yogurt/curd (diluted) on a daily basis.
Fresh water is always available in her water bowl. She usually goes for it after her walk.
There is no set quantity, but if I notice that her pee is turning yellow, then I use such methods to increase water intake.
Try getting 1/4 - 1/2 liter water extra daily into your dog's system and watch for any changes/improvement.

Cheers,
Raghu

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.