It's Happening, This Weekend!

Burrish

Dec 24, 2010
Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Bosley
If everything goes as planned, I should be bringing Bosley home on Sunday Afternoon! I'm too excited! Here's a pic I took during our meeting this past Sunday:

As you'll see, he's been through a rocky history, and the above picture shows a much healthier Bully. Here's his page at my local rescue:

Bosley | Lone Star Bulldog Club Rescue

From what I've gathered, the foster parents have taken very good care of him, and it's so awesome that there are people out there who take these dogs in. As shown in the bio, he's been treated for Demodex Mange. There are areas on his back that are likely to never grow hair again, but that's ok. He also has interdigital cysts, and I'll be trying a few things to try and deal with that. (salt soak, etc.) He's currently on a steroid for the cysts, but I'd like to take him off of meds if they're not absolutely necessary, though I'll certainly keep him on them if it's for the best. He's also had Entropian surgery on both eyes, but a nip/tuck was only done on one of them, afterwards. He apparently has eye-drops, but they haven't been used since the surgery since his eyes haven't been dry.

When my girlfriend and I went to meet Bosley, we brought Jake (her Whippet mix) with us to see how they'd act around each other. Jake is very timid and doesn't like strange dogs to suddenly come up and mess with/pounce/play with him, and Bosley seems to fit the bill fairly well since he's pretty laid back. There was a point where Bosley slowly walked up behind Jake to get a sniff, and Jake barked, but that was the only incident. During the rest of the visit, they were laying down about three feet from each other facing the opposite direction. That *seems* to be a good sign for the future in terms of them getting along, but we'll see once they have to spend the night under the same roof. I have a feeling that will be a challenge.

In terms of personality, he seems to have a really good disposition. While he wasn't super playful, he didn't seem to be too isolated. Then again, he was in a bad place before he got to his foster home, so I'm sure I'll have to earn his affection/playfulness. My goal is simply to have a Bully that loves me back and isn't *too* independent. From everything I've read on this forum and elsewhere, these dogs typically love the heck outta their owners, so I shouldn't worry.

I have that list full of names ready, but Bosley is actually a good one, so I'll likely just leave it at that. That's the name given to him by the foster parents, so I doubt it would be that difficult to give him another one, but I'm not sure I'll bother.

I have a small bag of Fromm waiting for him, and I'll be slowly transitioning from what he's currently eating. The foster parents had two other Bullies which were crated in their house when they first got Bosley, but they didn't put him in a crate to sleep during that time, so I'm not sure I'll get one for him to sleep in. Do any of you think it would still be a good idea to buy one? I'm trying to figure out exactly how I'm going to handle that situation. My bed's very high off of the ground, so he won't be able to jump up to it. I was thinking about buying/making him a step, but I wouldn't want him to accidentally jump down and injure himself. I'm confident that it will work itself out!

Anyway, I just can't wait for this to happen, and I'll get right to pic-posting once I have him!!!

Last edited:

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Oh my how exciting!!!!!! The crate thing is up to you, some people love them some don't. I personally wouldn't crate him unless he has destroys stuff or is having potty training issues. It may take him awhile to adjust but once he does I am sure he will turn into the typical affectionate bully. A good idea to help get Jake and Bosley off to a good start would be to have them meet up outside of your house before going inside on the day you bring Bosley home. Like hang out at a park down the street from your house first or something. Let them hang out at the park for a bit together, take a little walk then let them go home together. I love the name Bosley, congrats! He's ador-a-bull!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Oh my, what a past :*(. He's sure lucky to have found you guys. Can't wait to hear your adventures together! Are you going to call him "Boss" as a nickname? It sure does have a cute ring to it.

OP
Burrish

Burrish

Dec 24, 2010
Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Bosley
Oh my, what a past :*(. He's sure lucky to have found you guys. Can't wait to hear your adventures together! Are you going to call him "Boss" as a nickname? It sure does have a cute ring to it.

Yeah, I think "Boz" will probably become his de facto nickname. ;)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh my gosh how exciting!!! I actually have goose pimples!!!

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
Grats on bringing him home!!
I never rescued a Bullie and was
just wondering is there always and
adoption fee? And is it usually that much?

OP
Burrish

Burrish

Dec 24, 2010
Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Bosley
Grats on bringing him home!!
I never rescued a Bullie and was
just wondering is there always and
adoption fee? And is it usually that much?

From the sites that I've encountered, the adoption fee is typically in the $400-600 range. They're normally cheaper if they have some sort of permanent ailment. (Spina Bifida, etc.)

conwyatt

Mar 1, 2010
From the sites that I've encountered, the adoption fee is typically in the $400-600 range. They're normally cheaper if they have some sort of permanent ailment. (Spina Bifida, etc.)

I've been following Bosley's story since he was rescued by Lone Star Bulldog, and it is great to know that he will be yours soon! My Duke sleeps on a bed on top of my treadmill. He likes to be elevated!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
First off welcome, I have missed many threads and must have completely missed your previous ones. Congrats on your new bully! What a wonderful thing to adopt one and he is such a handsome boy at that!!! I agree the crate thing is up to you, maybe see how he acts around the house first? How old is he? I am sure he will be fine not crated since he isnt a puppy. My boys arent crated nor have they ever been cuz well I fell for that cry when I put my Cutty in and never tried again. haha. Steps are a good idea for your bed also, our bed is very high and my boys come and go as they please with our steps and it works out well for us.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh and 2~ish is when they tend to slow down as far as destroying and chewing on things so you should be fine as far as that part goes. How exciting! :D

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
YEA :up: for YOU and BOSLEY!!!! How exciting! I do not have to crate Vegas any more he is 21 months old, but he loves his crate. It is his personal space and he goes in on his own and naps. or even sucks his stuffed animals. I never even lock the door, EXCEPT at night when we go to bed. I do not want him sleeping with us. If I don't lock the door at night he will sit at my bedroom door and cry. Maybe get a crate so that Bosley can just have his "own" bed and space when he wants to.

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
How exciting for you! That poor guy! He looks like he had a terribly rough life! I'm sure it will take some time , but with lots of love and attention I'm sure he'll be a little lovebug! :heart:

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
Congrats to you! I crated Silva when she was a puppy when we left the house to run errands or whatever just for her safety. We havent had a crate in the house since she was about 4 months old!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.