Just heard back from the surgeon advice needed

Pennyblossom

Mar 4, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny and Bristol
Bristol went in for her surgical evaluation today-Brachycephalic Syndrome. They said she does need to have her nares opened and her soft pallet shortened. They said it was one of the longest they have seen and went into her airway, they said her saccules are soft and don't need to be removed Here's where the information came in that I wasn't prepared for;I knew she had a small trachea which they said was, but she also has redundant tissue when I asked for more information The vet said in the cheek area which keeps you from being able to open wider.
What the doctor said was even after having the soft pallet and the nares operated on she would still be a dog at respitory risk because of the trachea and redundant tissue both of which are not correctable.
We are going to go forward with the surgery but I would love to hear any advice or experience from those who also have had issues with the trachea or the redundant tissue. This poor thing has endured so much in her short 10 months so far.
She has a one year health guarantee but 1. We would never return her we love her she is our family and 2. The vet said this isn't a health issue per say it is a breed specific issue on what we as humans have done to the breed. 3. I don't think it is anything the breeder did -it's just genetics. I am just devastated that even after the surgery she may still have a life full of struggles just existing.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I wish you luck and a speedy recovery. I wish I could help but i don't have experience with the small trachea or redundant tissue, but I do find it a bit odd that they are doing the palate and nares at such a young age. Most vets wait until they are 2 to do it being that if they are young when it is done there is a high probability that it will have to be done again after they stop growing.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I wish you luck and a speedy recovery. I wish I could help but i don't have experience with the small trachea or redundant tissue, but I do find it a bit odd that they are doing the palate and nares at such a young age. Most vets wait until they are 2 to do it being that if they are young when it is done there is a high probability that it will have to be done again after they stop growing.

Walter was a little over a year when we had his nares/pallet done. I think that there is new evidence to support having the nares done at an earlier age to help w/the growth of the pallet?!! [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]
[MENTION=15583]Pennyblossom[/MENTION] I'm SO sorry to hear about your baby, but the surgeries WILL improve her quality of life. I don't have any experience w/the trachea, but I will tag some members that may be able to advice. Please keep us posted on your baby!

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
I agree with the above. I have no experience with redundant tissue but Jewel had her soft palate shortened and a world of difference in breathing.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I hope Penney has a successful and quick recovery.

I have little experience with the small/narrow trachea with my first bulldog, he had the nares/saccules and palate all done at the same time and the vet told us his trachea was very narrow and he may still have issue, that was at age two, he never really showed much of any serious issue and he did live to be 7 years old (heart failure). I know noting about redundant tissue but I will be asking my vet next time I go in so I can understand ;)

Age of procedure... most vets tend to wait till age of 2 because the palate does continue to grow, but in sever cases it is done at an earlier age, keep in mind, she may have to have her palate done again if it does continue to grow. Our frenchie had his done twice due to scar tissue. Our current boy, Lambeu had his nares done at 16 weeks and, wow, what a difference for him... no snoring, does not have labored breathing and his palate looks good... at this stage 16 months, our vet does not see him needing a palate reduction... so younger for the nares seems to be the way to go.

sending lots of positive thoughts to you and Penny

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
I only have experience with nares. Penny's was done when we spayed her at 6 months. Our vet said the earlier it's done less stress is put on the body, so they kinda get a healthy start from he beginning. She said Penny's palate was slightly at best elongated and she wouldn't recommend even touching it right now. BUT- with widening the nares, she can breathe easier so it puts less stress on it anyway.

Lockjaw is 10 months and getting his done next week. She will check his trachea and palette during his surgery.

Good luck! Even with the other issues, I'm sure by doing the palate and nares is will help her overall anyway!

Good luck with everything!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.