We would like to breeding our Bulldog, but.....

BuBie

Feb 23, 2011
My bf had BuBie, 4 years old bully when he was w/ his ex. So BuBie is under both of their name, now they broke up and BuBie has been staying w/ us for 3 years and we wanna breeding him, but my bf said we can not do anything w/o his ex agreement, is it true? y'guys have any ideas for me?

Thanks so much

OP
B

BuBie

Feb 23, 2011
OH NO T_T can we do anything else? like let say we are only ones who take care BuBie for all along and she didnt give us any supports. Cannt we do Legal process?

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
what your talking about is a civil issue you would need to go talk to the justice of the peace from your county... or see if she'll sign her name off of him, or just split the money w her....

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
1st off... why do you want to breed him? Has he won in the show ring? Did you do all the health testing? Working in rescue, I see this all the time... "But I have homes for all the puppie when they are born". But they have homes when they are pups , but if they have a health problem or when they grow up and they aren't as "cute" people don't want them anymore. I vote on don't breed unless he has all the health testing done.

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
1st off... why do you want to breed him? Has he won in the show ring? Did you do all the health testing? Working in rescue, I see this all the time... "But I have homes for all the puppie when they are born". But they have homes when they are pups , but if they have a health problem or when they grow up and they aren't as "cute" people don't want them anymore. I vote on don't breed unless he has all the health testing done.

I agree with this 100%!!!! This what breeding should be about...bettering the breed. A good bloodline, temperament and health testing is a must!

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
are you breeding for the $$$$ or for the love of the breed? if your motivation is to sell bulldogs because the pups go for 1-4k, please don't. Bulldogs aren't your average dog and the entire breeding process is difficult and very expensive and should be reserved for professionals. every pup needs to be birthed by cesarean section and the female must be artificially inseminated since the male bulldog is not designed to mount and impregnate the female successfully. The mothers are not naturally good mothers so you will have to be up every 2 hours to supervise feeding, make sure that the mom hasn't crushed a pup by laying on them, keep them under heat lamps, give them their inoculations, among so many other things.

have you shown your dog in any AKC shows? is he registered? how is the bloodline? is he totally healthy?

You could stud him out, but no one besides a backyard breeder will pay for sperm that doesn't come from a champion.

Good luck to you guys, whatever you decide, just please do your research and evaluate your motives.

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge

Seriously...to be responsible...one must clearly take into consideration bettering the breed. To ensure this a dog "must" be health tested before breeding...for you do not want to pass anything off to a line and have unhealthy pups or the responsibility for anything that would pop up "genetic"...to said off spring. And trust me even the "STUD" owner is responsible...for health issues that may have come down from their line.

my bf said we can not do anything w/o his ex agreement

As for the ex...By registration guidelines...she would have a say in the matter...until her name is no longer on that registration or she's signed off, his pups might not be acceptable to even register. She has every right to agree or not. Until you have a paper stating other wise...it would be hard to breed this dog to any other...even without testing...you have a legal end that ties this dog to your bf and his ex. And no breeder is going to want the "unknown" breathing down their back...with that sort of snag.

And breeding...I would think you what...want to "stud" him out? [Or are you planning on purchasing a female?] It's also important to make sure that the female is also health tested...to ensure you the health of the line you plan on producing...

OP
B

BuBie

Feb 23, 2011
Thx for all opinions, BuBie's dad was a Champion in AKC show, Bubie never gets sick and have no problems with things, we just think it's a good sperm for bulldog lovers.

By the way, it's not a big deal for us, only my curiosity :-)

Thx everyone again

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
Thx for all opinions, BuBie's dad was a Champion in AKC show, Bubie never gets sick and have no problems with things, we just think it's a good sperm for bulldog lovers.

By the way, it's not a big deal for us, only my curiosity :-)

Thx everyone again

You bring up something to mind...you may not be aware of. Do you have the original contract that was given from the breeder to your bf and his ex? For...if the sire was a CH. Most likely there is stipulations to using him as a stud. I know with my own show dog I have...be it an Australian Shepherd. When you are dealing with dogs that breeders have striven to show and earn points to titles...they do not want the pups bred from their line used in breeding programs until the dog is proven. Example in case...My dog if I wanted to breed her...must have her points to becoming a CH. She must have her health clearances...And any stud used must also pass her okay first. Before any of those pups maybe registered. Or those puppies will not be allowed registration papers if I fail to do any of those steps. Due to her kennel name is being passed on by any of the pups that her dogs offspring produce. If your dealing with a dog who was sired by a CH...You can bet there are fine lines that one must follow besides not having a sick dog. [Just a heads up...Since I've rubbed elbows with contracts and have a show puppy there are several stipulations that show breeders set for the off spring of all pups they produce.] For you bring out more legal actions that must be looked into.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
WOW ... everything written above is exactly why I have and never will have ANY interest in breeding bulldogs!!! :crazy:

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
The kicker of the contract...that needs to be mentioned. If I breed her without her knowledge I void the contract and I have to return the dog back to her. But it's not uncommon for that to be in there as well. It's very common practice to stipulate that in a contract...I've heard it from a number of show breeders when I took Ahsoka to a dog show. Which I must brag...she took 1st place and Best of Opposite :up: Very pretty ribbons indeed.

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
WOW ... everything written above is exactly why I have and never will have ANY interest in breeding bulldogs!!! :crazy:

I'm hearing ya...I don't plan on breeding. I originally wanted a pet. By the time I convinced my husband on a "third" dog. The breeder I had been dealing with had her pups all placed. [Still at her home but sold] She referred me to another show breeder who she was a mentor of. For I wanted more of a show line verses herding line. Due to I know they have herding instincts and wanted one less driven. And I wanted one with health clearances. So since the breeder knew I was on her mentor's list...she loosened her rules a bit...and gave me a pup she thought would not pass the eye clear. [Nothing "wrong" per se but she was not show quality due to something that would cause her to maybe "squint" which is common with the breed when out in bright sunlight] Anyways...she called it wrong...she didn't have what she thought...just color pigmentation that was darker. And is...now a show pup. We fell in love with her...watched her grow. And so she upheld our contract we had originally on her. I considered getting her to CH. Only to show respect for the breeder who allowed us to continue with our original contract even though the contract stated she was a pet. Which now she wasn't listed under that classification. I plan on spaying her once her growth plates are developed. But would like to get that CH title for a feather in the breeder's cap.

I see their reasoning...to strive for healthy lines...and earn titles showing they are producing dogs that follow the structure that is considered "sound" and so fourth. To have someone then take a pup from their lines...breed it to some dog not "worthy" or without health clearances then any pups that might have health issues from such breedings then fall back on their kennel's line. And is like a black eye and all the work they have struggled to achieve is for what?

So I'm fine with the contract...But no...I'm not cut out for breeding.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.