using the bathroom in the house.

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
Okay, I feel the pain. When we got Frith, she had a UTI...undiagnosed for the first two weeks in our house. She just squatted and let loose. That also taught her to poopanywhere too. After much research and tears and hair pulling. Kennel training was impossible, she learned to pee in her bed.

So, the site said we needed to take her back to square one. perfectly clean fenced off puppy place with papers on the floor and a clean sleeping place. This was to train that sleeping in clean place was good, and that there were specific poop places. We retrained as if she was a two week puppy new to pooping. It took about three weeks, but we got her to ubderstand theconcept.

Then she would walk to the door and wait, she gave us about ten seconds at first. She gives us more time now, but we need to really be aware of her. She still leaves presents by the door, but they are always by the door. Currently we are working on teaching her to ring the bell--its not going so well. We are just supposed to know.

Good luck.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
thank you for the advice do you have any recomendations? we have a rug doctor and i use pinesol.

sent from my brick using clay

get Nature's miracle or Odoban .... they remove the smell of urine. Pinesol is just covering it up

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
We couldn't crate train curly because we lived in SoCal and it was just too hot in the summer/he was growing so rapidly he was hot all the time so we had to be creative - and fortunately I work remotely and had the convenience to do this:
1. We got a plastic pool and lined it with pee pads. This was where he was suppose to go if we were able to rush him down three flights of stairs outside.
2. We took him out every hour for about 15 minutes. If he peed or pooed outside he got a treat (never got a treat if he was inside)
3. Whenever we were out of the house we put him in a room that had tile floor (kitchen, bathroom) with his plastic pool and his bed. He wanted to pee/poop on a surface that had texture - think grass or carpet, so he naturally started going in the pool.
4. If he ever made a mistake in the house we just cleaned it up and didn't make any big deal about it. But again big deals were made with treats when he did go outside

I hope these tips help if you decided not to Kennel Diamond but if can kennel her, it is absolutely the easiest way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

penguinspam

Feb 13, 2016
Poole, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Betty
Well, we ended up packing our rug away after I spent a weekend soaking it in vinegar and letting it dry in the sun. Brought it inside and Betty peed on it within 10 minutes. And what do you know, not an accident in the house for the 2 weeks the rug has been gone. Maybe someday we can have it again. It really tied the room together :D Good luck with Diamond [MENTION=15554]codered[/MENTION] Sounds like the crate training is helping.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
thank you for the advice do you have any recomendations? we have a rug doctor and i use pinesol.

Like [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] said pinesol is just a cover up. Vinegar and water will get rid of all traces and it's cheap. Also, me personally, I would ask your cousin not to bring his dog till Diamond is potty trained. Go meet your cousin in a park or go for walks together so the dogs dont fight as you mentioned. Walking them both on leashes for now will help both dogs not to fight as their energy is spent on walking. Eventually both dogs will respect each other. This can take a while. Its not just a couple weeks and they are fine. Takes much longer and avoids dog fighting and respect towards humans n dogs.

OP
codered

codered

Feb 25, 2016
panhandle of Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diamond
We couldn't crate train curly because we lived in SoCal and it was just too hot in the summer/he was growing so rapidly he was hot all the time so we had to be creative - and fortunately I work remotely and had the convenience to do this:
1. We got a plastic pool and lined it with pee pads. This was where he was suppose to go if we were able to rush him down three flights of stairs outside.
2. We took him out every hour for about 15 minutes. If he peed or pooed outside he got a treat (never got a treat if he was inside)
3. Whenever we were out of the house we put him in a room that had tile floor (kitchen, bathroom) with his plastic pool and his bed. He wanted to pee/poop on a surface that had texture - think grass or carpet, so he naturally started going in the pool.
4. If he ever made a mistake in the house we just cleaned it up and didn't make any big deal about it. But again big deals were made with treats when he did go outside

I hope these tips help if you decided not to Kennel Diamond but if can kennel her, it is absolutely the easiest way.

wow south cali i live in the FL panhandle so i'm guessing it's similar but not sure. My parents would be pissed and take it out on me and that would drive me up the wall. training diamond would've been more peaceful without their mouths but that's nothing i can't do.

OP
codered

codered

Feb 25, 2016
panhandle of Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diamond
Like [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] said pinesol is just a cover up. Vinegar and water will get rid of all traces and it's cheap. Also, me personally, I would ask your cousin not to bring his dog till Diamond is potty trained. Go meet your cousin in a park or go for walks together so the dogs dont fight as you mentioned. Walking them both on leashes for now will help both dogs not to fight as their energy is spent on walking. Eventually both dogs will respect each other. This can take a while. Its not just a couple weeks and they are fine. Takes much longer and avoids dog fighting and respect towards humans n dogs.
well we have to because their mother is in the hospital. diamond is potty trained as of lately it's been my fault because i'll forget to take her out. the dogs don't fight anymore but diamond sniffs her and my cousin's dog growls at diamond. yesterday in my deep southern voice i said stop it and they stopped it. Success! yay!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
well we have to because their mother is in the hospital. diamond is potty trained as of lately it's been my fault because i'll forget to take her out. the dogs don't fight anymore but diamond sniffs her and my cousin's dog growls at diamond. yesterday in my deep southern voice i said stop it and they stopped it. Success! yay!

Ahhh I see and understand :) Guess you don't have much choice for now. You are learning when we want a dog it comes with responsibilities. Yes.....You have to give your 200% it's like raising kids, they dont come with instructions, guarantees and you can't bring the back. You do your best with lots of patience. :)

spectacularone

Apr 9, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winni, Hank, Otis
I can only speak from my personal experience but this isn't the easiest breed to housebreak. Only one of my 3 will paw at the door and even she isn't consistent. It's not that they are trained, it's that I am trained to let them out every few hours. If I don't, they go in my laundry room. If it's raining and I put them out, they won't leave my patio unless I stand outside with them (in the rain).

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
get Nature's miracle or Odoban .... they remove the smell of urine. Pinesol is just covering it up

I use a product called Biodeodorizer. It works great. Mabel has really strong smelly urine--no UTI, just very potent. We used to have to use it a lot right after we got her. Now we only use it occasionally. :yes4: There are a lot of good products available.

Biodeodorizer Spray

OP
codered

codered

Feb 25, 2016
panhandle of Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diamond
Ahhh I see and understand :) Guess you don't have much choice for now. You are learning when we want a dog it comes with responsibilities. Yes.....You have to give your 200% it's like raising kids, they dont come with instructions, guarantees and you can't bring the back. You do your best with lots of patience. :)
yea i got her in august last year so i'm still learning. i found out maybe 30 mins ago that diamond really loves me. since i'm not used to this breed i thought she didn't love me but mom had a tazer and diamond went into attack mode. when my sister was vacumming diamond is usually scared of it and will run away but she was in my lap and she stood in front of me and was barking at it. [emoji3]

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
I can only speak from my personal experience but this isn't the easiest breed to housebreak. Only one of my 3 will paw at the door and even she isn't consistent. It's not that they are trained, it's that I am trained to let them out every few hours. If I don't, they go in my laundry room. If it's raining and I put them out, they won't leave my patio unless I stand outside with them (in the rain).

You should try snow. :fie: There was a definite NO shouted at me--and lots of sounds I didn't know little dogs could make.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
yea i got her in august last year so i'm still learning. i found out maybe 30 mins ago that diamond really loves me. since i'm not used to this breed i thought she didn't love me but mom had a tazer and diamond went into attack mode. when my sister was vacumming diamond is usually scared of it and will run away but she was in my lap and she stood in front of me and was barking at it. [emoji3]

Had no clue we were allowed tazers in a household.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online