Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I’ve never seen a written definition of a “bully” or a “zoomy” but most here know what it is, and most here have profound respect for it. It’s a common necessity for some dogs; a type of therapy, if you will. A zoomy would apply to any specie of canine but the “bully” is for bully breeds only! IOW, a bully can have a zoomy but a Collie cannot have a “bully”. Every “bully”is respective of it’s maker and each maker is different so I assert that, like snowflakes, every “bully” is quite unique. Additionally, every set of circumstances leading up to the “bully” can be different, making for an even more unique experience. Providing a true singular definition is beyond anyone’s ability.

All different maybe, but most start in similar fashion, with a coiling-up or loading-up of the body starting at the base of the ears and extending to the rear toes…much like compressing a large powerful spring. Everyone knows that springs store energy, much like an electrical capacitor, releasing it on demand. Unlike the capacitor, the release of “bully” energy is completely uncontrolled and the timing cannot be predicted, nor can the duration of the energy release. Our bullies spring into action with surprising speed and power, rarely seen in this breed. Witnesses exclaim, “OMG!”, “Holy ****!”, “What the H***!”, “Did you see that?”, and “Look out!!!”.

All “bullies” end somewhat the same way with the bully-maker frozen in some sort of contorted position, eyes darting right and left to see who might have seen them either in motion or upon landing. Always, the bully-maker will attempt to give the impression of a 3 point landing whether landing on their head, butt, back, or side…or any combination thereof. There is, in fact, no such thing as a bad “bully” landing and any landing with the maker is still intact(not that kind of intact), is considered a success. The “landing” is not necessarily the end of the “bully”…sometimes it’s just the beginning of another “bully”…and cycle continues.

The start and the end of a “bully”, while surprising and entertaining pale in comparison to what comes in between. An indoor “bully” often involves running, drifting, leaps, dives, jumps and slides over, under, on top of, around, though, and down chairs, sofas, stools, rugs, cabinets, gates, walls, stairs, people, and doorways. Damage to any of these things is not uncommon. Luckily, due to spatial constraints, indoor “bullies” are typically short-lived and damage is usually minimal. Outdoor bullies last much longer and can involve collisions with fences, bird baths and feeders, people, shrubbery, trees, flowering plants, and other dogs mesmerized by what they witness. Double “bullies”(2 bullies having a “bully” at the same time) are especially fun.

Brutus loads up…and springs into action…

Pippy joins in the fun…and makes it a “double bully”...

Zoey manages to stay clear of the activity but is still pooped from watching…

Here’s another “bully chase” at one of our foundation picnics. It was wild one featuring Porthouse and Butter Bean...

All this has worn me out…
Be well, bullies!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
What great pictures!

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Love all the action shots! Looks like so much fun! Makes me wanna be there and run around with them.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
:ROFL:fun zoomies and such great action photos! Love them!

Chubby

Feb 20, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubby
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION]...I love the pic of the bully with the crazy eyes...I rarely see pictures or capture pictures of this because I'm usually wrestling, tug of war or watching a zooming in action? Chubby gets the crazy eyes...👀I love the action shots. What kind of camera do you use to capture the action shots? I love them all🐶😍

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
FANTASTIC..... nothing makes me smile more that double bully-zoomies! We call them 'spaz-attacks'!

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
mmmm yes zoomies and crazy eyes....always after 8pm in our house :) never lasting longer than 15 minutes... :)

OP
oscarmayer

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
What kind of camera do you use to capture the action shots?
These were taken with a Canon Rebel...nothing real fancy. I use a Sony A99 now and the action shots are even better. Action shots are relatively easy when you have ample light, use a fast shutter speed, and camera set to continuous drive mode.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.