Limited Registration but not advertised that way

KYFLBulldog

Mar 13, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
I recently bought a beautiful English Bulldog puppy; I found him on puppy find and looked at the breeders website. He was advertised as AKC registered, champion bloodlines. We and our kids went for a 3 hour drive (one way) get our new puppy. We were so excited, he was perfect!!! They gave us a folder with AKC registration papers, info on NuVet, and a contract. In all the excitement, we were not looking at the small box on the AKC registration that was filled in "limited registration". Nowhere on puppy find, the breeders website, or the contract did it say "limited registration". I'm thrilled with my new Bulldog puppy, but disappointed that any puppies he sires in the future would not be able to be AKC registered. I thought it might be nice in a few years from now to have a puppy of his, but nobody is going to want to breed to a dog resulting in a litter that can't be registered. I contacted the breeder and they refuse to provide the code that would allow a regular registration. I think if they are going to sell puppies that are "limited registration" they should be clearly advertised as such. Oh well, maybe in a few years, someone else that bought a "limited registration" female will want to breed with "limited registration" male. :unsure: I know, buyer beware.

Since I'm not happy with the breeder, I did not use their NuVet code to buy the tablets :p I used the code on this forum. :D

This is our 4th English Bulldog, its been about 6 years since our last one passed away.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN

Our contract for all our babies was no breeding, but very advertised and communicated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Often, full registration option is part of the selling point meaning they will grant full breeding rights for an addl. Price. if you really feel the need to breed someday with papers, ask the breeder what would be their price.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yeah that is not cool they did not communicate that with you, it's a very important piece of information! Sheesh.... I'm so sorry. Did you post pics of your new pup? Would love to see!

OP
KYFLBulldog

KYFLBulldog

Mar 13, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
:welcome3: to EBN

Our contract for all our babies was no breeding, but very advertised and communicated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that is not cool they did not communicate that with you, it's a very important piece of information! Sheesh.... I'm so sorry. Did you post pics of your new pup? Would love to see!

It would be different if the dog was advertised as "Limited registration", that was not the case.
bulldog440.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Max is one very handsome little man!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Sounds like you missed the fine print. Shady tactics...and a sorry way to do business.
Your Max, however, is really cute. Even for one minute, please don't let this incident diminish the joy of having Max in your life.

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
I used to show dalmatians in conformation shows years ago. Though I only had one litter, I sold them all as "limited registration" because I knew there were no local buyers that were interested in showing dogs. With limited registrations, that would hopefully hold off the folks who wanted to breed for whatever reasons. If not breeding selectively, the breed can develop flaws or health issues that go down more generations. I met a couple of people that thought nothing of breeding their deaf dalmatian so they could show kids the facts of life. Deafness, hereditary in dals, is something that true breeders have been trying to get rid of for decades. Granted, the seller should tell the buyer about the restrictions on Limited Registrations. One of the reasons that dalmatians have developed some health issues over the last 20 years is due to indiscriminate breeding (the Walt Disney re-release really jacked that up) and the "pro" breeders trying to get a new look, like breeding down to "miniature dalmatians", ruining a great breed. Used to be hip dysplasia wasn't seen in dals. It is now and that's a bummer if you want your dal to get their Road Dog certification through the Dal Club of America. The same thing has happened to bulldogs, King Charles Cavaliers, basenjis, and so many other breeds. Instead of sticking with the 'original', breeders, either knowingly or not, are messing with genetics that eventually affect the poor dogs. My bulldog is AKC registered though I don't have his papers. He's a shrimp compared to other bulldogs in my neighborhood. The former owner told the lady I got the dog from, as a rescue, that the breeder in KY was starting to breed 'miniature bulldogs'. I wonder if my Porkchop was the start.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I am a show breeder for Frenchies, we used to breed English, but don't at this time, but we always sell our pups with a Limited registration. We also tell the buyer that up front, just like your breeder should have told you up front. Every once in awhile we will sell one to a show home, and those will go with full registration, and a different contract is used. Breeders do this to keep people from breeding a dog they don't want bred. This helps to keep the backyard breeding down, even though people still do, behind the breeders back and will not register them, or register them with UKC or CKC (Continental Kennel Club) not to be mistaken for Canadian Kennel Club. This is why we have so many bad health problems and so many bullies out there that do not fit the bulldog standard, because people just breed to anything because they just want a puppy from their bully. Not saying you would be so irresponsible, but it happens every day, and you can see the results at any rescue or shelter.

OK off my soap box, anyway, you have a very good looking pup, and I am looking forward in watching him grow.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Sometimes you have to read between the lines. Ex: Nyala's contract says she's guaranteed 3yrs genetic and if she is not spayed by 6 months, guaranteed is no longer approved. Breeder is pushing and making sure im getting her spayed by 6 months with keeping in contact with me via emails. Working also in financing, I work alot with lawyers and I can guarantee you I dont have to have her spayed as her contract says the opposite. Very well reputated breeder and all but lack of proper contract from what I see.

Maybe there is something in your contract or even her ad that says the opposite that won't stand in court. Or it's allthere and yes fine print was missed. Double check just in case. You never know. :)

OP
KYFLBulldog

KYFLBulldog

Mar 13, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
Limited registration was not mentioned in the contract, nor the description online. I bought my last bulldog in 1998 and I had no intention of breeding her, so this just wasn't something I was looking for, or aware of. I'm not making excuses for my lack of knowledge, but if "limited contract" had been in the description I would have researched what that was. We have been in contact with the breeder, they say they are checking on a way to allow me to breed him just one time a few years in the future.

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
my breeder will usually have two prices.. pet only price and full registration price.. they should have made it clear to you before your purchase.. i love my breeder.. i will always buy from them they are really honest and helpful.. sorry to hear what happened to you with him..

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
Thats not cool that the breeder did not disclose this information. But at the same time you gotta ask these questions before even putting a deposit down.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.