What is it like to have 2 bulldogs? Should I do it?

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
So the opportunity fell in my lap to adopt another bulldog and I don't know if I can resist. He is about the same age as mine (about 1yr).

So for those of you who have more than one bulldog what is it like? The only thing I am really worried about is screwing with the great relationship that I have with my dog. And of course my husband has to say yes.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have always had two so, I really do not know what it is like to only have one..... I would never not have at least two. Until we got Lambeau, we always had male/female... now we have two males and occasionally Cheli (our Frenchie) gets a little 'grumpy' but 99% of the time they do great together.

Are they the same gender?

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I have always had two so, I really do not know what it is like to only have one..... I would never not have at least two. Until we got Lambeau, we always had male/female... now we have two males and occasionally Cheli (our Frenchie) gets a little 'grumpy' but 99% of the time they do great together.

Are they the same gender?

Both males. Mine is currently intact and the other is neutered.

- - - Updated - - -

If I can convince my husband to adopt then I will. Otherwise I will foster him until I find him a home.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
[MENTION=15285]KimDe[/MENTION], I asked the exact same question almost 5years ago when I find out a little squirt (then named Hamblin), was available from the same breeder I got my first bulldog from. I ended up taking the plunge b/c I wanted Tate to grow up with a friend and well, b/c I love bulldogs! If you have the resources and the time to commit to raising a 2nd bulldog then go for it. Mine do not get along as well as I had hoped however. Finn is definitely dominate over Tate and likes to always be "top dog". This has led to some behavioral issues that I continue to work on with them. Would I do anything different now that I know what the outcome is like? NOPE! I love the laughter, the fun, the true love and joy my two rascals bring me every day.

Good luck with your decision!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Both males. Mine is currently intact and the other is neutered.

- - - Updated - - -

If I can convince my husband to adopt then I will. Otherwise I will foster him until I find him a home.

if you do either one, be sure to introduce the dogs on neutral ground.... a park or parking lot somewhere neither dog can be territorial.... otherwise, it could be messy. Since your current is intact, just a heads up many rescues will not foster or adopt to a home with intact dogs.... many reasons for it, but just wanted to make sure you are aware that is a possibility.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I have two and will always have two. They keep each other company and play together. Christine is right though, make sure you introduce them in a neutral setting. This will help your resident dog feel less stressed about the new guy. Can you bring your dog to a meet and greet with the new guy? So really my answer is if you can swing two of everything, food, vet bills, etc... than have at it!!! Congrats on a new baby and thank you for giving a home to a rescue!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have always had at least two dogs at a time, now I have two bulldogs… it's been a great experience. I have a male and a female, so gender issues haven't been a problem… it's nice to have two bulldogs because they both have the same temperament and exercise needs. When I had my boxer and a bulldog it was hard because Roxie could go for LONG walks where as Bella was wiped out after 20 minutes. I hope it works out for your family, keep us posted!!!

Sherlock

Mar 5, 2016
Italy
Country
Italy
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston and Emma
I'm so interested in this discussion since we'd love to get a second bulldog at the end of summer when Winston will turn 1 year. We prefer to wait a bit just to complete the training with Winston: I'd like him to be the "trainer" with his new friend (this time we will go for a female) and I want the family to be ready for a second bulldog. My question for you is: how do we have to manage them in the first days at home? Ok for a first meeting in a neutral space but then, once at home? Winston will keep the priority due to his "seniority" in the family I suppose: other tips? Thank you

Inviato dal mio Samsung S5

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
I had two till recently and never looked back was a wonderful experience , i have total 4 dogs other breeds and a new save coming, they will sort it out with direction from You the alpha , no worries about the hubby , remind him why he married you ..... to read instructions right . lol no jokin 2 are great company for them there will at the start till they figer it out be minor stuff make sure you have new toys for the new pup a bed or cage a place for it to call its own ect ect feed them a sepperate as you can stand by if one finishes before the other and do not allow to approach the othe while feeding , pick up the bowls so there is NO sniffing and licking the bowls ect ect go for it ya know ya wanna !

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
It's so much fun but a lot of work too! But they my world now too [emoji4][emoji5]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BREWBADGER

Mar 5, 2016
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Vader and Reya
It's hell... and a lot of work.. :)
But it is starting to work out. Reya is gaining some weight (13.5) and Vader (26.5) stopped multiplying in weight each week. They are playing a bit nicer and Vader has always been a good puppy... a little stubborn but a sweet puppy. Reya was the new addition and 4 weeks younger.. I should have either got both as puppies the same age or waited till Vader was a bit older and out of puppy stage. But I see good progress each day and hopeful that they are going to be great pals in the future.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I love having two. I was afraid of upsetting the routine around here. It was a rocky start but only for a few days...I can't exactly say they're the best of friends. Two totally different personalities. Chum just wants to be left alone and Hershey wants to play..by play I mean biting at chums legs and jowls until he's forced to interact. It's playful biting though. Chum is intact and Hershey is neutered....no issues here as far as that goes except for some occasional weird same sex humping.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I would like to have 2. But right now Nyala is only 5ish months and im starting a new business which will take me on road from May through Xmas. One dog isn't so bad to bring here and there. If im stuck my sons can keep her for a week or so. But for me 2 right now is a no go. Pets are like kids, you need to be there for them or someone you trust if you can't. Also like a few in here mentioned, EB are high maintenance got to keep your pesos aside :)

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
I have 2. I got Lockjaw at 7 weeks, turned around and picked up his sister 6 weeks later at 13 weeks. In the beginning it was HARD! I cried a lot, and wondered if I made the right decision.

They are now 10 months, completely potty trained and they get along great.

We have structure and routine, so having 2 really isn't that much more effort day to day.

But- if I had to do it all over again, I would!

I love both of them like my kids!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.