What is it like to have 2 bulldogs? Should I do it?

Cuddles116

Jan 15, 2013
Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock & Brink
Lol I have two boys that are from the same mom different litters, when everyone is healthy and being good they are ADORABLE together and play with each other and keep each other company. When someone is hurt or sick or being bad it's a ton of extra work. But we love our boys and as long as you can afford the many bulldog needs it's nice =)

BREWBADGER

Mar 5, 2016
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Vader and Reya
:yes:
I have 2. I got Lockjaw at 7 weeks, turned around and picked up his sister 6 weeks later at 13 weeks. In the beginning it was HARD! I cried a lot, and wondered if I made the right decision.

They are now 10 months, completely potty trained and they get along great.

We have structure and routine, so having 2 really isn't that much more effort day to day.

But- if I had to do it all over again, I would!

I love both of them like my kids!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I totally agree.. The first few days I was like " What have I done".. Just completed the second week with Reya and it is getting better each day.:yes:

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
So the opportunity fell through. Oh well. I did end up signing up to foster with a bulldog rescue. Maybe that will satiate my desire for another dog.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I'm so late on this and now I see that I fell through, but if you get another chance...do it do it! I love having two. They love one another so I don't feel as guilty when I leave them home alone. Aside from the doubling of the food bill, things will settle down after a few weeks of transition and it won't be much different, just double the snuggles.

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
So my husband and I have been puttering around the idea of adopting another dog since this fell through. I'm looking for advice on what I should look for. Fezzik is a 1 year old intact male. He gets along well with other dogs and children. He does have ball possession issues around us, but has let my brother in law's female boston terrier take it out of his mouth. So I'm thinking he just likes to play rough with us and what we do to discourage that is make him sit before he gets attention.

So we were thinking of getting another bulldog (English or French) to match his energy, fitness, and play level. We do not want another puppy right now. Puppies are cute, but we are enjoying the more mature Fezzik. So since we are adopting, the incoming dog will most likely be spayed or neutered. So my questions are
-What breed should I get? French or English?
-Should I get a male or female?
-Anything else to look for? I have never adopted a dog before.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So my husband and I have been puttering around the idea of adopting another dog since this fell through. I'm looking for advice on what I should look for. Fezzik is a 1 year old intact male. He gets along well with other dogs and children. He does have ball possession issues around us, but has let my brother in law's female boston terrier take it out of his mouth. So I'm thinking he just likes to play rough with us and what we do to discourage that is make him sit before he gets attention.

So we were thinking of getting another bulldog (English or French) to match his energy, fitness, and play level. We do not want another puppy right now. Puppies are cute, but we are enjoying the more mature Fezzik. So since we are adopting, the incoming dog will most likely be spayed or neutered. So my questions are
-What breed should I get? French or English?
-Should I get a male or female?
-Anything else to look for? I have never adopted a dog before.

I have had two Bulldogs and a Frenchie with a Bulldog...... it is always easier to get a male/female to blend and get along... same gender tend to have issues (not all be it is more likely). Energy levels do differ, but I love the mix of the two breeds as it is highly entertaining.

To be honest, we never thought about energy level difference when we got Cheli, we were more concerned about Banks accepting a new dog in the home as she was SO dominate we focused on getting a male under the age of 1. It took a full week of neutral territory introductions to get Banks to even let Cheli near her. Cheli was somewhat of a rescue as he was an owner surrender to our vet, who then asked us if we were interested in taking him. Then when banks past, we knew we needed to get Cheli a playmate and we went and got Lambeau.... again we knew it had to be a puppy cause Banks kept Cheli in line so regardless of gender, a puppy was all we could go with to ensure there would not be any issues.

Cheli rules Lambeau and Lambeau really could not care any less he is so laid back and just wants to be a goofy boy.

My point to my rambling is, you have to evaluate Fezzik and base it on his behavior and personality.

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I have had two Bulldogs and a Frenchie with a Bulldog...... it is always easier to get a male/female to blend and get along... same gender tend to have issues (not all be it is more likely). Energy levels do differ, but I love the mix of the two breeds as it is highly entertaining.

To be honest, we never thought about energy level difference when we got Cheli, we were more concerned about Banks accepting a new dog in the home as she was SO dominate we focused on getting a male under the age of 1. It took a full week of neutral territory introductions to get Banks to even let Cheli near her. Cheli was somewhat of a rescue as he was an owner surrender to our vet, who then asked us if we were interested in taking him. Then when banks past, we knew we needed to get Cheli a playmate and we went and got Lambeau.... again we knew it had to be a puppy cause Banks kept Cheli in line so regardless of gender, a puppy was all we could go with to ensure there would not be any issues.

Cheli rules Lambeau and Lambeau really could not care any less he is so laid back and just wants to be a goofy boy.

My point to my rambling is, you have to evaluate Fezzik and base it on his behavior and personality.

I think Fezzik would accept any dog. With younger dogs he is all play, but he has let older dogs set the boundaries. I do see him dominate during play time with bigger dogs but never aggressively. I would worry more about the other dog than I would him. Maybe over time, the dynamic could change but he is still very puppyish and playful in his behavior.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
@KimDe, I asked the exact same question almost 5years ago when I find out a little squirt (then named Hamblin), was available from the same breeder I got my first bulldog from. I ended up taking the plunge b/c I wanted Tate to grow up with a friend and well, b/c I love bulldogs! If you have the resources and the time to commit to raising a 2nd bulldog then go for it. Mine do not get along as well as I had hoped however. Finn is definitely dominate over Tate and likes to always be "top dog". This has led to some behavioral issues that I continue to work on with them. Would I do anything different now that I know what the outcome is like? NOPE! I love the laughter, the fun, the true love and joy my two rascals bring me every day.

Good luck with your decision!

Ditto from me...well said...except Jewel and Bentley scrap over toys a lot but pretty much are OK with each other. It is when one or the other is left at the vet that one or the other will be missing the one who is away.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I've heard mixed opinions on whether or not two males will get along. Mostly everyone has said two females will fight, especially if one has been bred before and is territorial. A lot of it depends on the personality of the dogs really. Ruckus isn't altered either, but he's a chill dude. I wanted s female bully and it turn out little miss Regina has an attitude and can be bossy to Ruckus. It works because Ruckus tolerates all of her crazy play antics and he doesn't mind when she gets a little you possessive, he just gives it to her. If Ruckus weren't as chill, I'm not sure they'd get along as well. I will also say they're braver in a pack. Ruckus has gotten a little protective of Regina -- mostly when she was younger -- if another dog growled at Regina.

Sherlock

Mar 5, 2016
Italy
Country
Italy
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston and Emma
Hi all, it took me less than one year to get crazy with these beautiful English Bulldogs... and after Winston, here is... Emma. She is 6 months, she has a little problem with her right paw so she doesn't put it down very well... not a big issue and the vet told us it will probably solve it just growing up... but who cares... when we saw her, she was so tender that we didn't hesitate a minute and we got her! Now Winston (13 months) will have someone to play with and we are all so happy. With three kids and two dogs will be a bit hard but with so much fun and happiness that I can only see the good side of it. So here ae my two beautiful friends:
Sofa little.jpg
Two hearts_little.jpg
That's amore2.jpg

Attachments

• 14494746_10210540381967015_8269227205259461724_n.jpg
    14494746_10210540381967015_8269227205259461724_n.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 45

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi all, it took me less than one year to get crazy with these beautiful English Bulldogs... and after Winston, here is... Emma. She is 6 months, she has a little problem with her right paw so she doesn't put it down very well... not a big issue and the vet told us it will probably solve it just growing up... but who cares... when we saw her, she was so tender that we didn't hesitate a minute and we got her! Now Winston (13 months) will have someone to play with and we are all so happy. With three kids and two dogs will be a bit hard but with so much fun and happiness that I can only see the good side of it. So here ae my two beautiful friends:
View attachment 101385
View attachment 101386
View attachment 101387

buongiorno come stai?

I hope you take phot #4 amd frame it. Very beautiful photo!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Yes im thinking of 2 but I'll wait till after xmas. Too busy growing a business right now. Im sure I'll get more gray hair with 2 lolll

Sherlock

Mar 5, 2016
Italy
Country
Italy
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston and Emma
buongiorno come stai?

I hope you take phot #4 amd frame it. Very beautiful photo!

Buongiorno, tutto bene e tu?
A bit busy with the new arrival but everything is going well. They are so cute!!! Winston is still a bit shocked but I assume he has already accepted the new girl... she is so funny and with so temper... I'm not sure who's going to be the boss... let's see...

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.