Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 29

Thread: What is it like to have 2 bulldogs? Should I do it?

  1. #13
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Chumley's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jim B.
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Patchogue, NY
    Posts
    4,762
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chumley and Hershey
    Likes (Received)
    1211

    Default Re: What is it like to have 2 bulldogs? Should I do it?

    I love having two. I was afraid of upsetting the routine around here. It was a rocky start but only for a few days...I can't exactly say they're the best of friends. Two totally different personalities. Chum just wants to be left alone and Hershey wants to play..by play I mean biting at chums legs and jowls until he's forced to interact. It's playful biting though. Chum is intact and Hershey is neutered....no issues here as far as that goes except for some occasional weird same sex humping.

  2. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
  3. #14
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    5,024
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)
    6230

    Default Re: What is it like to have 2 bulldogs? Should I do it?

    I would like to have 2. But right now Nyala is only 5ish months and im starting a new business which will take me on road from May through Xmas. One dog isn't so bad to bring here and there. If im stuck my sons can keep her for a week or so. But for me 2 right now is a no go. Pets are like kids, you need to be there for them or someone you trust if you can't. Also like a few in here mentioned, EB are high maintenance got to keep your pesos aside

  4. #15
    Bulldog Vet in Training Corine Pesantes's Avatar
    Real Name
    Corine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,145
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lockjaw and Penny
    Likes (Received)
    1757

    Default Re: What is it like to have 2 bulldogs? Should I do it?

    I have 2. I got Lockjaw at 7 weeks, turned around and picked up his sister 6 weeks later at 13 weeks. In the beginning it was HARD! I cried a lot, and wondered if I made the right decision.

    They are now 10 months, completely potty trained and they get along great.

    We have structure and routine, so having 2 really isn't that much more effort day to day.

    But- if I had to do it all over again, I would!

    I love both of them like my kids!!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Every once in a while, a dog (or 2) enters your life and changes everything!" <3

    Mommy of Lockjaw and Penny


  5. Likes BREWBADGER, Texas Carol liked this post
  6. #16
    Bully Bootie Duty Cuddles116's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    187
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brock & Brink
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    87

    Default Re: What is it like to have 2 bulldogs? Should I do it?

    Lol I have two boys that are from the same mom different litters, when everyone is healthy and being good they are ADORABLE together and play with each other and keep each other company. When someone is hurt or sick or being bad it's a ton of extra work. But we love our boys and as long as you can afford the many bulldog needs it's nice =)

  7. Likes BREWBADGER, Texas Carol liked this post
  8. #17
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    usa
    Posts
    47
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vader and Reya
    Likes (Received)
    45

    Default Re: What is it like to have 2 bulldogs? Should I do it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Corine Pesantes View Post
    I have 2. I got Lockjaw at 7 weeks, turned around and picked up his sister 6 weeks later at 13 weeks. In the beginning it was HARD! I cried a lot, and wondered if I made the right decision.

    They are now 10 months, completely potty trained and they get along great.

    We have structure and routine, so having 2 really isn't that much more effort day to day.

    But- if I had to do it all over again, I would!

    I love both of them like my kids!!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I totally agree.. The first few days I was like " What have I done".. Just completed the second week with Reya and it is getting better each day.

  9. Likes Corine Pesantes, Texas Carol liked this post
  10. #18
    Dog Groomer KimDe's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    558
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fezzik
    Likes (Received)
    578

    Default Re: What is it like to have 2 bulldogs? Should I do it?

    So the opportunity fell through. Oh well. I did end up signing up to foster with a bulldog rescue. Maybe that will satiate my desire for another dog.

  11. #19
    Bulldog Vet in Training g8erjackie's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,302
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruckus and Regina
    Likes (Received)
    1041

    Default Re: What is it like to have 2 bulldogs? Should I do it?

    I'm so late on this and now I see that I fell through, but if you get another chance...do it do it! I love having two. They love one another so I don't feel as guilty when I leave them home alone. Aside from the doubling of the food bill, things will settle down after a few weeks of transition and it won't be much different, just double the snuggles.

  12. Likes harveyspecter, Texas Carol liked this post
  13. #20
    Dog Groomer KimDe's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    558
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fezzik
    Likes (Received)
    578

    Default Re: What is it like to have 2 bulldogs? Should I do it?

    So my husband and I have been puttering around the idea of adopting another dog since this fell through. I'm looking for advice on what I should look for. Fezzik is a 1 year old intact male. He gets along well with other dogs and children. He does have ball possession issues around us, but has let my brother in law's female boston terrier take it out of his mouth. So I'm thinking he just likes to play rough with us and what we do to discourage that is make him sit before he gets attention.

    So we were thinking of getting another bulldog (English or French) to match his energy, fitness, and play level. We do not want another puppy right now. Puppies are cute, but we are enjoying the more mature Fezzik. So since we are adopting, the incoming dog will most likely be spayed or neutered. So my questions are
    -What breed should I get? French or English?
    -Should I get a male or female?
    -Anything else to look for? I have never adopted a dog before.

  14. #21
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,140
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11479

    Default Re: What is it like to have 2 bulldogs? Should I do it?

    Quote Originally Posted by KimDe View Post
    So my husband and I have been puttering around the idea of adopting another dog since this fell through. I'm looking for advice on what I should look for. Fezzik is a 1 year old intact male. He gets along well with other dogs and children. He does have ball possession issues around us, but has let my brother in law's female boston terrier take it out of his mouth. So I'm thinking he just likes to play rough with us and what we do to discourage that is make him sit before he gets attention.

    So we were thinking of getting another bulldog (English or French) to match his energy, fitness, and play level. We do not want another puppy right now. Puppies are cute, but we are enjoying the more mature Fezzik. So since we are adopting, the incoming dog will most likely be spayed or neutered. So my questions are
    -What breed should I get? French or English?
    -Should I get a male or female?
    -Anything else to look for? I have never adopted a dog before.
    I have had two Bulldogs and a Frenchie with a Bulldog...... it is always easier to get a male/female to blend and get along... same gender tend to have issues (not all be it is more likely). Energy levels do differ, but I love the mix of the two breeds as it is highly entertaining.

    To be honest, we never thought about energy level difference when we got Cheli, we were more concerned about Banks accepting a new dog in the home as she was SO dominate we focused on getting a male under the age of 1. It took a full week of neutral territory introductions to get Banks to even let Cheli near her. Cheli was somewhat of a rescue as he was an owner surrender to our vet, who then asked us if we were interested in taking him. Then when banks past, we knew we needed to get Cheli a playmate and we went and got Lambeau.... again we knew it had to be a puppy cause Banks kept Cheli in line so regardless of gender, a puppy was all we could go with to ensure there would not be any issues.

    Cheli rules Lambeau and Lambeau really could not care any less he is so laid back and just wants to be a goofy boy.

    My point to my rambling is, you have to evaluate Fezzik and base it on his behavior and personality.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  15. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
  16. #22
    Dog Groomer KimDe's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    558
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fezzik
    Likes (Received)
    578

    Default Re: What is it like to have 2 bulldogs? Should I do it?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    I have had two Bulldogs and a Frenchie with a Bulldog...... it is always easier to get a male/female to blend and get along... same gender tend to have issues (not all be it is more likely). Energy levels do differ, but I love the mix of the two breeds as it is highly entertaining.

    To be honest, we never thought about energy level difference when we got Cheli, we were more concerned about Banks accepting a new dog in the home as she was SO dominate we focused on getting a male under the age of 1. It took a full week of neutral territory introductions to get Banks to even let Cheli near her. Cheli was somewhat of a rescue as he was an owner surrender to our vet, who then asked us if we were interested in taking him. Then when banks past, we knew we needed to get Cheli a playmate and we went and got Lambeau.... again we knew it had to be a puppy cause Banks kept Cheli in line so regardless of gender, a puppy was all we could go with to ensure there would not be any issues.

    Cheli rules Lambeau and Lambeau really could not care any less he is so laid back and just wants to be a goofy boy.

    My point to my rambling is, you have to evaluate Fezzik and base it on his behavior and personality.
    I think Fezzik would accept any dog. With younger dogs he is all play, but he has let older dogs set the boundaries. I do see him dominate during play time with bigger dogs but never aggressively. I would worry more about the other dog than I would him. Maybe over time, the dynamic could change but he is still very puppyish and playful in his behavior.

  17. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  18. #23
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    rjisaterp's Avatar
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Posts
    5,139
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    3864

    Default Re: What is it like to have 2 bulldogs? Should I do it?

    Quote Originally Posted by cali baker View Post
    @KimDe, I asked the exact same question almost 5years ago when I find out a little squirt (then named Hamblin), was available from the same breeder I got my first bulldog from. I ended up taking the plunge b/c I wanted Tate to grow up with a friend and well, b/c I love bulldogs! If you have the resources and the time to commit to raising a 2nd bulldog then go for it. Mine do not get along as well as I had hoped however. Finn is definitely dominate over Tate and likes to always be "top dog". This has led to some behavioral issues that I continue to work on with them. Would I do anything different now that I know what the outcome is like? NOPE! I love the laughter, the fun, the true love and joy my two rascals bring me every day.

    Good luck with your decision!
    Ditto from me...well said...except Jewel and Bentley scrap over toys a lot but pretty much are OK with each other. It is when one or the other is left at the vet that one or the other will be missing the one who is away.

  19. #24
    Bulldog Vet in Training g8erjackie's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,302
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruckus and Regina
    Likes (Received)
    1041

    Default Re: What is it like to have 2 bulldogs? Should I do it?

    I've heard mixed opinions on whether or not two males will get along. Mostly everyone has said two females will fight, especially if one has been bred before and is territorial. A lot of it depends on the personality of the dogs really. Ruckus isn't altered either, but he's a chill dude. I wanted s female bully and it turn out little miss Regina has an attitude and can be bossy to Ruckus. It works because Ruckus tolerates all of her crazy play antics and he doesn't mind when she gets a little you possessive, he just gives it to her. If Ruckus weren't as chill, I'm not sure they'd get along as well. I will also say they're braver in a pack. Ruckus has gotten a little protective of Regina -- mostly when she was younger -- if another dog growled at Regina.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •