Cat & Bulldog Question

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Is it wishful thinking to think that if I adopted an older cat that it would cuddle and sleep with my bully? I'm looking into alternative companions for him. I don't think we are ready for another dog, but a cat may be ok.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I tagged a couple members with cats.... they can hopefully give some insight for you

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Is it wishful thinking to think that if I adopted an older cat that it would cuddle and sleep with my bully? I'm looking into alternative companions for him. I don't think we are ready for another dog, but a cat may be ok.

Hi, I don't know how much help I will be, since every cat and dog is different in their personalities, and you never can predict how a cat or dog will react to a new fur sibling. In our case, we got our cat Meeko a year before we bought the dogs. Our Jack Russell Oreo had died the year before, she was 14 years old and she had cancer. After she passed away, e weren't sure we were going to get another dog or not, and she had died in September, so I said let's wait until the following Spring and re visit it. In the mean time my friends cat had been hit by a car and died and she had 7 kittens, and we took one. We had never had a cat before, but thought they would be more independent than a dog. After the winter, I was missing having a dog around, and I had always wanted a EB, so we went to see Dozer, and I fell I love with him, but hubby couldn't leave his sister Blossom behind, so we bought both of them. Dozer and Blossom never had a problem with Meeko, they just wanted to play with her, but Meeko didn't want anything to do with them, she would run away when they came near her. She's a little better now, she will sleep beside their crates at night, or on top, and she sits beside them when they eat and waits until they are finished so she can lick out their bowls. She tolerates Dozer mor than Blossom, because he's much more laid back ( did I say lazy lol) than crazy legs Blossom who is in always in play mode.
I would think you would have more success with a kitten rather than an older cat, unless that cat is used to being around dogs. You could also introduce them to each other in a neutral place before bringing home the new cat to see how they react and interact with each other.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
It can be hit or miss. We have 4 cats and 3 of them don't have an issue with Harlea at all. Our oldest cat would hiss, growl and swat Harlea all the time even when she wasn't bothering him he would run across the room to get her. After almost 3 years he has finally realized that Harlea isn't going anywhere and is tolerating her now. So all in all I would have to say with and older cat it may be hit or miss so be ready for some hissing and swatting to take place.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.