seizures?

Michelle Baldwin

Feb 3, 2016
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Prissy and Tybo
Seizures? Taking my big boy Typo to vet. He threw up on floor and fell over in a fit. Peed on the floor , then woke up and is acting doopey....anyone else had this before?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
WOW… that does sound like a seizure, I will tag some members w/more experience. Please let us know how Typo is doing, and if you can get anything on video that would be helpful...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sending lots of hugs and healing prayers.... Please keep us posted.
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Emma's been having seizures for a full year now. She only peed the first time she had her and she's had 26 since then. I learned much from [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] (Cheryl) so when Emma had her first I knew what was happening. Emma first started off having just one seizure at a time, but then she starting have clusters (2-3 within a short period of time). It's important during the seizure time to be calm and keep them at least on their side so they don't go on their back (they can aspirate if so). Your vet will most likely put him on Potassium Bromide and then possibly Phenobarbital (that the most common it seems at first). Keep a good record keeping on the time, date, length and other details of Tybo's seizures as it will help you and your vet if he has more and you'll be able to keep track of the time/days in between one to the next seizure. There's a chance Tybo will only have the one but more than likely he will have more (no one knows how many or when the next one will be). Finding the right combo of meds is the hardest part and it takes time. We're still trying to figure out Emma's. Once they doubled her Potassium Bromide and she ended up having Ataxia really bad (lameness) so she was put back down on her original does. I finally took her to see a Neurologist 2 weeks ago and she sees Dr. Lane at Rocky Mountain Veterinary Neurology again tomorrow for more blood work. Dr. Lane completely changed her meds up and we're transitioning them right now from the Phenobarbital to Zonisamide. We now also administer intranasal midazolam after her seizures. Since mid-October she was having seizures (clusters and once 4 in a 35 minute period) every 10-14 days. We have finally broken that spell!!! Her last one was 1/29 and it was so brief.

Oh another thing I almost forgot to say, is keep a very close eye on Tybo for at least an hour if not more after his seizure. It takes time for them to fully come out of it and they can be very clingy during that time (they need your reassurance). They can be loopy still and clumsy during this time, this is normal. We have stairs in our house so when I leave I know gate Emma off to the part of the house that doesn't have stairs so in case she has a seizure while we're gone she won't tumble down them.

I'm sure Cheryl will be along soon too to add a bunch more. Hugs to you and Tybo, it's not easy watching them go through this.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Emma's been having seizures for a full year now. She only peed the first time she had her and she's had 26 since then. I learned much from [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] (Cheryl) so when Emma had her first I knew what was happening. Emma first started off having just one seizure at a time, but then she starting have clusters (2-3 within a short period of time). It's important during the seizure time to be calm and keep them at least on their side so they don't go on their back (they can aspirate if so). Your vet will most likey put him on Potassium Bromide and then possibly Phenobarbital (that the most common it seems at first). Keep a good record keeping on the time, date, length and other details of Tybo's seizures as it will help you and your vet if he has more and you'll be able to keep track of the time/days in between one to the next seizure. There's a chance Tybo will only have the one but more than likely he will have more (no one knows how many or when the next one will be). Finding the right combo of meds is the hardest part and it takes time. We're still trying to figure out Emma's. Once they doubled her Potassium Bromide and she ended up having Ataxia really bad (lameness) so she was put back down on her original does. I finally took her to see a Neurologist 2 weeks ago and she saw Dr. Lane at Rocky Mountain Veterinary Neurology again tomorrow for more blood work. Dr. Lane completely changed her meds up and we're transitioning them right now from the Phenobarbital to Zonisamide. We now also administer intranasal midazolam after her seizures. So far since mid-October she's finally broken her spell of having them every 10-14 days.

Oh another thing I almost forgot to say, is keep a very close eye on Tybo for at least an hour if not more after his seizure. It takes time for them to fully come out of it and they can be very clingy during that time (they need your reassurance). They can be loopy still and clumsy during this time, this is normal. We have stairs in our house so when I leave I know gate Emma off to the part of the house that doesn't have stairs so in case she has a seizure while we're gone she won't tumble down them.

I'm sure Cheryl will be along soon too to add a bunch more. Hugs to you and Tybo, it's not easy watching them go through this.

Jeannie nailed everything perfectly. How old is he? This might determine the next course of action. Usually under the age of two it'll more than likely be a one time thing or idiopathic epilepsy, meaning no known cause. If he is older in age, they will want to rule out other causes. They can be so many different causes, everything from a brain lesion to ingesting something toxic. They will do blood tests to determine anything metabolic, they will do a physical test to determine anything structural, and they will probably asked to do an MRI to determine if it's part of his brain. Only when everything is ruled out will he be diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy. Other known causes are pain, head trauma, poisoning. We had one member who's dog had seizures and it ended up being intestinal blockage. So if you can get it on video, try to. Or if you don't have the exact way it happened, I suggest going to YouTube and finding a video that most closely relates to what happened. If you would like a link to my YouTube page, I do have several that you could use if needed.

Good luck and please keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Emma was 3 yrs, 3 months when she had her first. She was diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy 2 weeks ago by Dr. Lane. Taking her to see a neurologist was the best thing I did for her since she was having so many. I just felt she needed a higher level of expertise and I was right. Her regular vet could only do so much and didn't have the knowledge I felt for her for the long run.

Thanks Cheryl. :) I couldn't have got through this as calmly as I have without Vegas and you. :heart:

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
The aforementioned is solid advice but...
it could also be a heart issue. The EXACT same symptoms were exhibited by my Lacey in her first of several episodes. She was ultimately diagnosed with Boxer Cardiomyopathy. It's a electrical issue in the heart that causes the heart to beat very rapidly...essentially quivering instead of nice productive rythmic pumps. The lack of blood supply and oxygen to the brain simply shuts the patient down.
Two other bullies, Hoss and Dozer, had the same symptoms on several occasions but both had been previously diagnosed with congestive heart failure.

Boxer Cardiomyopathy (arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy) can be well-managed by a competent Vet, and for many years. We treated Lacey for 3 years and she lived to be 9+.

GL, and I hope whatever it is, that you get a handle on it quickly and get life back to normal.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.