nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
What a gorgeous dog!!!! I absolutely love Great Danes! I considered the Mastiff, Great Dane, and English Bully. I travel several times a year, and I was worried about the cost of boarding a Mastiff or GD. Knowing now what I pay in vet care, insurance, etc, I probably would have been OK! :D

Maybe one day I'll get a GD.

I'm going to need many more pictures and videos. Also, we need to have our doggy play-date, so that I can get some bully and Great Dane lovin!

Yes! Now that the weather is getting nice we need to get a group together. The GD won't be play date ready for a few more weeks :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Beautiful puppies you have there. Ive raised Dobermans which your GD's feet reminds me of my Dobby's feet and nothing is wrong with your GD's feet. People have to remember GD like Dobbys or Boxer etc, the all have long skinny legs with big paws when they are young. They will grow into them. These breeds all look out of proportion when they walk n play. Wait till they swim.... man do they splash and not good swimmers either cause of their long legs. Make sure you're around them when they swim. I had to jump in a cold river that wasn't even deep to save my first dobby. Lesson learned on that dobby. :)

Haha! I can't wait to get him in the water - he has big webbed paws!

The issue with him is/was his front legs shake when he sits. From what I've read it's a sign that the muscle and ligaments in his legs are weak which can eventually cause unnatural bowing of the legs because the muscles/ligaments can't support his large bones. Fairly common in Great Dane puppies because their bone can grow faster than their muscles if not receiving the proper nutrients .

I do think he is out growing it now though - he is less shaky and seems to be evening out a bit more.

Here is a completely unrelated video that had me dying. Curly is the best.

https://vimeo.com/158256417

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Jawnie is so Precious, so Beautiful, I Just Love All Of Your Babies, I also have Boston Terriers, 2 100_0915.JPG100_0918.JPG100_0933.JPG Lolly Pop and Bosco Bear.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Haha! I can't wait to get him in the water - he has big webbed paws!

The issue with him is/was his front legs shake when he sits. From what I've read it's a sign that the muscle and ligaments in his legs are weak which can eventually cause unnatural bowing of the legs because the muscles/ligaments can't support his large bones. Fairly common in Great Dane puppies because their bone can grow faster than their muscles if not receiving the proper nutrients .

I do think he is out growing it now though - he is less shaky and seems to be evening out a bit more.

Here is a completely unrelated video that had me dying. Curly is the best.

https://vimeo.com/158256417

I just totally laughed out loud..... Curly rules!!!

Will taking him to water therapy help with building leg muscles?

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Wow he is wonderful, Gosh I hope you end up with the relationship that my bully Rosie and her BIG friend Odin ( Cane Corso ) have , I have owned a lot of dogs and always had 4 or 5 of them at one time like you and have never seen a relationship like they have, it is wonderful there inseparable truly . the older dogs will correct the pup size does not matter and to a degree allow it is My advice as long as it does not get to damage themselves , you have to allow them to get the pecking order in the pack to there liking not yours and that takes time . I have always used the word to the other dogs "the puppy" and "gentle " during there play time or interaction in general , the older dogs know when i say it what i mean pretty quick , but I let em play and interact as dogs will .

052.jpg024.jpg173.jpg

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Wow he is wonderful, Gosh I hope you end up with the relationship that my bully Rosie and her BIG friend Odin ( Cane Corso ) have , I have owned a lot of dogs and always had 4 or 5 of them at one time like you and have never seen a relationship like they have, it is wonderful there inseparable truly . the older dogs will correct the pup size does not matter and to a degree allow it is My advice as long as it does not get to damage themselves , you have to allow them to get the pecking order in the pack to there liking not yours and that takes time . I have always used the word to the other dogs "the puppy" and "gentle " during there play time or interaction in general , the older dogs know when i say it what i mean pretty quick , but I let em play and interact as dogs will .

Thank you for the advice! Yes, we're totally letting the pecking order happen naturally - it worked well for the 3 we had already. Curly just because very jealous and snappy when he gets jealous. More of any issue when his human (my husband) is around

And good news about his legs! He has seemed to grow into them and the shakes are gone. We started letting him free exercise...

He's also growing like a weed. 2 more weeks and he'll be taller than Sully and Curly. When he first came here he was as tall as my 20 lb Boston/pug

Most Reactions