Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
I haven't been online for a little while. We had spring break and went home to see family. I wanted to give a quick update on Gigi. Her pneumonia recheck and third set of X-rays were done yesterday and we did not get good news. I kind of knew we wouldn't based on her overall improvement, or lack there of. The X-rays showed no improvement in the pneumonia. They refilled her baytril and clavamox, this is her third refill of those. They gave her a steroid injection, and if she shows any improvement in the next 48 hours, they will prescribe her an oral steroid. They also want her on a bronchialdialator, it has to be made at a compound pharmacy, so she hasn't started that yet. If all of this fails, they want to try a tracheal wash. They are extremely hesitant about it because she has a severely narrowed trachea. In addition to all of that, the megaesophagus that was present on her very first X-ray, has not improved at all, and she has had some regurgitation issues. She is still holding down most of her food, but the vet recommended an elevated feeder and maybe a mostly canned diet. Right now, she's on mostly kibble. She eats Acana pork and squash. Is anyone feeding a canned diet that works well? Can y'all recommend a canned food that you like? Keep in mind she's only 4 months old, so I guess a puppy canned diet would be best. I saw that wellness had a puppy canned food, but it contains chicken, and I know many Bulldogs don't do well on chicken. Any advice on anything I've mentioned would be helpful and appreciated, this is new territory for me.

So sorry the news wasn't good :-( But to be honest I was surprised the vet didn't give a steroid shot at the first visit, that usually is what really does the trick for humans too. I hope after that and the extra round of drugs she will improve! I'm not sure on the food aspect but I'm sure someone else can help.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I use to breed Dobermans. Old breeds like dobbys, German Shepherd Malamute etc...bulldogs has been around since the 5th century. When a breed has been around as long as the bulldog and being over bred, eventually down the road we get dogs with issues. Probably why bulldogs are high maintenance. We just pray our babies stays healthy a d given a happy life.

But keep you dehumidifier going and if can add in the water some pure organic peppermint essential oil and tea tree oil will help open up the lungs. I have a diffuser and used oils all the time. Nyala had a cold/cough and green guk coming out of her nose for a few days. Was on antibiotics but took only a couple days to clear. She had the diffuser over her kennel at night to clear her lungs out. Really helped in her case.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=15577]Jenni23[/MENTION] so sorry on the slow progress on her recovery... Continuing to pray for your baby.

Food... Instead of canned .. What about an all stages dehydrated food? The Honest Kitchen is a great products

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
I AM PRAYING FOR GIGI TO HAVE A QUICK RECOVERY AND FEELING WONDERFUL. GIVE GIGI A HUG AND KISS FROM ME AND ME ELMO.

OP
Jenni23

Jenni23

Mar 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
Good morning everyone, thank you for your well wishes for Gigi. I appreciate all the advice. It seems like the steroid shot is helping. She has more energy and it seems to be helping her get some of the mucous out. I called the vet this morning to report how she was doing on the steroid injection and I think the vet will want her on an oral steroid for a bit.

As far as her diet and the megaesophagus, I think Im going to explore a home cooked diet for her. I guess I'll hop over to the home cooked diet section of the forum for more research and recipes.

I do have a growth related question.... At the vet when they weighed her, she was 16.44lbs. She is 4 months old. Does this seem like a normal weight for an english bulldog at 4 months old? I just thought she would be a little larger. Maybe she will be a smaller bully? I don't care either way, I'm just trying to make sure she weighs a normal healthy weight. Thanks everyone!!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Good morning everyone, thank you for your well wishes for Gigi. I appreciate all the advice. It seems like the steroid shot is helping. She has more energy and it seems to be helping her get some of the mucous out. I called the vet this morning to report how she was doing on the steroid injection and I think the vet will want her on an oral steroid for a bit.

As far as her diet and the megaesophagus, I think Im going to explore a home cooked diet for her. I guess I'll hop over to the home cooked diet section of the forum for more research and recipes.

I do have a growth related question.... At the vet when they weighed her, she was 16.44lbs. She is 4 months old. Does this seem like a normal weight for an english bulldog at 4 months old? I just thought she would be a little larger. Maybe she will be a smaller bully? I don't care either way, I'm just trying to make sure she weighs a normal healthy weight. Thanks everyone!!

Weight, I think is darn close to what Lambeau was.... there is thread here somewhere that a lot of people listed weights at certain ages.

Good luck and please keep us posted on how she is doing

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Ugh poor baby! Just want to wish her to well soon. Keep fighting little baby girl!

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Mabel has a narrow trachea, too. She has frequent bouts with upper respiratory infections and is on antibiotics a few times a year. It sounds like the vet is working to get Gigi's pneumonia cleared up. It's tough when they can't move air as they should. I am so glad you rescued her from the fate of the pet shop. Some breeders should be shot. :angry:

OP
Jenni23

Jenni23

Mar 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
We picked up some prednisone from the vet this afternoon and started her on it this evening. After the steroid injection, she had so much more energy. I don't know if that was because of the steroid or the fact that it opened up her lungs so she could breathe much easier. I am really hoping that the steroid plus the bronchial dilator medicine really kicks this pneumonia out of her. I mean it feels like she's had this her whole puppyhood, which is terribly sad.

I did make a batch of home cooked food today in the crockpot for her. I got the recipe out of the Feed Your Best Friend Better cookbook. I like those recipes because they are larger batches and I can freeze half. She really loved it. We will see if her megaesophagus does better with that diet. We are also having to spoon feed her small amounts while she's in a sitting position. If that doesn't help her keep things down better, then there's a chair called a "Bailey chair" that we may have to look into. Poor puppy. I just want her to have some sort of normalcy.

OP
Jenni23

Jenni23

Mar 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I'm practicing posting new pics:).

OP
Jenni23

Jenni23

Mar 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

In that second pic, she's actually sound asleep, lol:)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Oh my goodness what a precious baby I am praying that she fights through all of this and is better soon!!! ❤️❤️❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Gigi is Beautiful, she is Precious. I Pray she will get all Better. Give Gigi my Love and Kisses to this Beauty.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.