OP
Jenni23

Jenni23

Mar 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
She actually drinks from both, but seems to prefer the water bowl. Ok, the overly exited dinner time thing is a bulldog thing. Good to know, lol. Also, she's the first dog that I ever met that HATES peanut butter. weird.

OP
Jenni23

Jenni23

Mar 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
Water bottle us fine as long as , like Jessica stated, she is getting enough. I think [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] uses them in crates.

Feeding time for us is very calm, we trained them to do a sit/stay until they are released to their bowl when it is their turn to eat.
I have a video i'll dig up and post for you-- Lambeau was about 10 weeks old i. It

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really?! You can teach a bulldog to sit and stay?? I've been working on sit, but her attention span is non existent, and then if you have her attention with a yummy treat and try to teach her, she gets so excited by the food, that its impossible for her to concentrate. I would love to see your video!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Really?! You can teach a bulldog to sit and stay?? I've been working on sit, but her attention span is non existent, and then if you have her attention with a yummy treat and try to teach her, she gets so excited by the food, that its impossible for her to concentrate. I would love to see your video!

Christine is a pro. LOL I can't teach Tyson anything - stubborn as a rock. :haha:

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
HaHa! The only thing Monty is good at is NOT following commands! Got it down to a fine art...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Found it.... http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...-photos-and-videos/43963-lambeau-waiting.html

Yes, all four of our bullies had to learn to wait their turn for their food. No jumping and running to the bowl, wait for name and release.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sweet baby Jesus, how did you teach them that? And do you make house calls?!

We started the night he came home, and it took 3 weeks to get him where he was in that video. Two person job for sure.... constant 'stay' being said and a few times, especially in the beginning, one of us were standing next to him to put him back in place and give 'stay' command.

so, where do you live :D

OP
Jenni23

Jenni23

Mar 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
We started the night he came home, and it took 3 weeks to get him where he was in that video. Two person job for sure.... constant 'stay' being said and a few times, especially in the beginning, one of us were standing next to him to put him back in place and give 'stay' command.

so, where do you live :D

Right now we live in Alexandria, VA, but not for much longer I hope!! I'm going to have to recruit my husband and try your method!

LeleNY

Dec 1, 2015
NY
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
Big (Notorious B.I.G.)
Oh my word, just look at that little face! Love little Gigi.

Ok so.... food wise - Acana is an excellent food. Yogurt & pumpkin also great. How much are you feeding her, and how often? They need to eat more at that age. Are her stools pretty consistent and firm?

Rawhides are a huge NO for sure. I would stick to things that aren't easily destructed, because bullies are notorious for just swallowing things whole or semi-whole and this leads to obstructions. Antlers, nylabones all good. On Antler, moose or elk.

A decent amount of bullies need grain free, chicken free. Which you are already doing perfect on. For snacks or treats - you can do fruit, blueberries, bananas, apples, green beans, etc. Just make sure you cut them into bite size pieces :) You probably won't be able to gauge her size until she reaches closer to a year old.

One thing that's important with bullies is their daily cleaning. You need to keep the wrinkles, ears, paws, and tail (under) clean. Daily is best to avoid any infections, etc. You can use plain jane baby wipes, witch hazel. Just a quick wipe in all those areas daily... we do it twice daily, but whatever you can manage will help keep her in tip top notch ;)

Also, if you dont have this on hand at home, buy some plain benadryl to have on hand for allergic reactions ;) and some plain pepcid for belly issues.

Great to know that I can give Big Antler! I saw it on the Petshop and was wondering if they would be safe... Thanks!

LeleNY

Dec 1, 2015
NY
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
Big (Notorious B.I.G.)
Speaking of losing teeth......my children just ran in the kitchen to tell me she lost her first tooth! And then she ate it! My 8 year old asked how the tooth fairy will get that tooth, lol

My now 7 month old bulldog already lost all this teeth... and I could only save 2 of them... so he probably ate the rest! lol Good luck, your puppy is adorable!

LeleNY

Dec 1, 2015
NY
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
Big (Notorious B.I.G.)

Don't worry. She'll learn! When she's seated, give her a treat and say GOOD SIT!
Practice this several times a day.
She will quickly learn the command SIT.

My bulldog was crazy before feedings until he was 16 weeks... then our trainer said to make him SIT, wait until he calms down and then give him the food.
Now at 7 months he waits patiently while we are putting the kibble on his bowl =)

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Great to know that I can give Big Antler! I saw it on the Petshop and was wondering if they would be safe... Thanks!

Yup!! The bigger the better because there is no chance of them swallowing it! Always go with an Elk or Moose if they have it :) They are more durable. And you are WELCOME :) Big will love it!

OP
Jenni23

Jenni23

Mar 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
Surprise! I have 2 new questions for today, lol��
So seeing as it will reach almost 80 degrees here in Alexandria, VA today(hallelujah, praise the lord), it got me wondering about Bulldogs and heat tolerance. I plan to take Gigi for a moderate walk today. How hot is too hot for them to be out in? And what are some signs of over heating?

Next question. Yesterday when my older daughter, Abby, came home from school she says, "how come her ear is starting to stand up?" Naturally, I was like, "what are you talking about? Her ear is just stuck, let me fix it." So I walk over to Gigi and try to paste it back down to her head and it just pops right back up, lol. Abby is extremely observant went it comes to dogs, she wants to be a wolf behaviorist, but seriously how did I not notice that?? My question is, are her ears supposed to do that?!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
So seeing as it will reach almost 80 degrees here in Alexandria, VA today(hallelujah, praise the lord), it got me wondering about Bulldogs and heat tolerance. I plan to take Gigi for a moderate walk today. How hot is too hot for them to be out in? And what are some signs of over heating?

Next question. Yesterday when my older daughter, Abby, came home from school she says, "how come her ear is starting to stand up?" Naturally, I was like, "what are you talking about? Her ear is just stuck, let me fix it." So I walk over to Gigi and try to paste it back down to her head and it just pops right back up, lol. Abby is extremely observant went it comes to dogs, she wants to be a wolf behaviorist, but seriously how did I not notice that?? My question is, are her ears supposed to do that?!

80 degrees is too hot. Is it humid there or dry hot?? Generally anything above 75-78 is gonna be too hot in terms of "time or distance" you can take them on. So I would keep the walk shorter than normal, bring some water with you... Overheating is one of the biggest factors in death for them, so sad. The semi-good news is that there are obvious signs. Of course panting excessively, tongue out, with bullies if the pant starts to sound like a snore/heave/grunt/reverse sneeze, that's not good. (Trying to best describe it, as I have unfortunately experienced it before), also you can look at their gums, if they are pale grey, or really light etc. Healthy gums should always be a nice pink color. You safest bet is once the panting starts a littler heavier then normal, start to head back. Also, keep in mind that they are STUBBORN. They do not understand their own bodies, nor limits, so they can be about to over heat and fall over but they will continue to walk. It's up to you to control that, and get them back inside, push come to shove. I've had to do it many times with Tyson, especially during the summer when he can't go far. Literally pulling, pushing him back to the house... bc I can't pick his huge arse up! LOL

If you see any of the above, its time to get back home, and start to lower their body temps quickly. Water, wet cool washcloth, ice chips. Do not put them in a tub of cold water, instead try with the washcloth to rub them, or cool them down. Bringing their temp down too quickly is also dangerous. Anyway, I pray you never experience it, but should you - this is what to do and of course if you cant get the breathing semi under control, ER vet right away.

Ears vary from bully to bully, they could be upright, folded over - I would worry on that part :)

Here's a great link for reference too!

English Bulldog News Forums - An important reminder about bulldogs & heat

NicosMom

Jan 23, 2015
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Nico & Lexi (RIP Tia 6/08-5/19)

Welcome! This site has so much information, I just love it.

I just wanted to let you know Gigi's ear is okay. My bully Nico actually has one ear up and one ear down and that happened when he was about 3 months old. I think it gives him character.
DSC01696.JPG

Members online

No members online now.