Leda
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Big (Notorious B.I.G.)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Newbie Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni23 View Post
    Speaking of losing teeth......my children just ran in the kitchen to tell me she lost her first tooth! And then she ate it! My 8 year old asked how the tooth fairy will get that tooth, lol
    My now 7 month old bulldog already lost all this teeth... and I could only save 2 of them... so he probably ate the rest! lol Good luck, your puppy is adorable!

Real Name
    Leda
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Big (Notorious B.I.G.)
    Likes (Received)

Really?! You can teach a bulldog to sit and stay?? I've been working on sit, but her attention span is non existent, and then if you have her attention with a yummy treat and try to teach her, she gets so excited by the food, that its impossible for her to concentrate. I would love to see your video!
    Don't worry. She'll learn! When she's seated, give her a treat and say GOOD SIT!
    Practice this several times a day.
    She will quickly learn the command SIT.

My bulldog was crazy before feedings until he was 16 weeks... then our trainer said to make him SIT, wait until he calms down and then give him the food.
    Now at 7 months he waits patiently while we are putting the kibble on his bowl =)

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LeleNY View Post
    Great to know that I can give Big Antler! I saw it on the Petshop and was wondering if they would be safe... Thanks!
    Yup!! The bigger the better because there is no chance of them swallowing it! Always go with an Elk or Moose if they have it They are more durable. And you are WELCOME Big will love it!

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

4. Likes LeleNY liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Georgia
    Likes (Received)

Surprise! I have 2 new questions for today, lol��
    So seeing as it will reach almost 80 degrees here in Alexandria, VA today(hallelujah, praise the lord), it got me wondering about Bulldogs and heat tolerance. I plan to take Gigi for a moderate walk today. How hot is too hot for them to be out in? And what are some signs of over heating?

Next question. Yesterday when my older daughter, Abby, came home from school she says, "how come her ear is starting to stand up?" Naturally, I was like, "what are you talking about? Her ear is just stuck, let me fix it." So I walk over to Gigi and try to paste it back down to her head and it just pops right back up, lol. Abby is extremely observant went it comes to dogs, she wants to be a wolf behaviorist, but seriously how did I not notice that?? My question is, are her ears supposed to do that?!

Jenn and Gigi

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

So seeing as it will reach almost 80 degrees here in Alexandria, VA today(hallelujah, praise the lord), it got me wondering about Bulldogs and heat tolerance. I plan to take Gigi for a moderate walk today. How hot is too hot for them to be out in? And what are some signs of over heating?

Next question. Yesterday when my older daughter, Abby, came home from school she says, "how come her ear is starting to stand up?" Naturally, I was like, "what are you talking about? Her ear is just stuck, let me fix it." So I walk over to Gigi and try to paste it back down to her head and it just pops right back up, lol. Abby is extremely observant went it comes to dogs, she wants to be a wolf behaviorist, but seriously how did I not notice that?? My question is, are her ears supposed to do that?!
    80 degrees is too hot. Is it humid there or dry hot?? Generally anything above 75-78 is gonna be too hot in terms of "time or distance" you can take them on. So I would keep the walk shorter than normal, bring some water with you... Overheating is one of the biggest factors in death for them, so sad. The semi-good news is that there are obvious signs. Of course panting excessively, tongue out, with bullies if the pant starts to sound like a snore/heave/grunt/reverse sneeze, that's not good. (Trying to best describe it, as I have unfortunately experienced it before), also you can look at their gums, if they are pale grey, or really light etc. Healthy gums should always be a nice pink color. You safest bet is once the panting starts a littler heavier then normal, start to head back. Also, keep in mind that they are STUBBORN. They do not understand their own bodies, nor limits, so they can be about to over heat and fall over but they will continue to walk. It's up to you to control that, and get them back inside, push come to shove. I've had to do it many times with Tyson, especially during the summer when he can't go far. Literally pulling, pushing him back to the house... bc I can't pick his huge arse up! LOL

If you see any of the above, its time to get back home, and start to lower their body temps quickly. Water, wet cool washcloth, ice chips. Do not put them in a tub of cold water, instead try with the washcloth to rub them, or cool them down. Bringing their temp down too quickly is also dangerous. Anyway, I pray you never experience it, but should you - this is what to do and of course if you cant get the breathing semi under control, ER vet right away.

Ears vary from bully to bully, they could be upright, folded over - I would worry on that part

Here's a great link for reference too!

English Bulldog News Forums - An important reminder about bulldogs & heat

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

7. Likes 2BullyMama, LeleNY liked this post
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nico and Tia
    Likes (Received)

Welcome! This site has so much information, I just love it.

I just wanted to let you know Gigi's ear is okay. My bully Nico actually has one ear up and one ear down and that happened when he was about 3 months old. I think it gives him character.
    -dsc01696-jpg

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member sisters3's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Water bottle us fine as long as , like Jessica stated, she is getting enough. I think @Davidh uses them in crates.

Feeding time for us is very calm, we trained them to do a sit/stay until they are released to their bowl when it is their turn to eat.
    I have a video i'll dig up and post for you-- Lambeau was about 10 weeks old i. It

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @2BullyMama Joey does the same. A good friend of mine with 2 dachshunds showed me EARLY on and Joey picked up right away. When I put her bowl of food down she sits and looks right in my eyes, we say "grace" and then I release her and she eats. THE DROOL is awful so we make it a quick "grace" LOL
    @Jenni23 With persistence they learn beautifully.....MOST things. Joey still only comes when I call IF she's not busy
    May the sun in your eyes be your ONLY problem today! Peace Friends!

10. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Doggie Boutique Owner Izzy's Mom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)

You got great advice already! I also make Izzy sit before eating because she used to get too anxious. Now she's the cutest because she will wait for me to give her the okay. It helped us a lot!

As far as heat.... mine is very active. She is a smaller bulldog (weight) with longer legs and no breathing issues so she can stand the heat pretty well. She also likes to exercise a lot and is very active (actually getting more active each year - she is 3 years old now). But I started her with shorter walks during the summer... always carrying water with me and watching closely to make sure she is okay. In our case as long as there is water and/or a lake for her to cool down we could go for hours!

My sunshine doesn’t come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog’s eyes.

12. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Georgia
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for all the great answers to my many questions! I did end up taking her for a short walk on a shady path. She enjoyed it once we got going and she was very happy and social with everyone we ran into. She did have a few scares. Once with a little construction noise and again with a howling hound dog. She just seemed startled and I just gave her a little tug and kept walking. She did have a romp with a new friend. A little terrier mix named Basil, that lives behind us. They played wonderfully for a good 15 minutes.

Jenn and Gigi

14. Likes 2BullyMama, Davidh liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Georgia
    Likes (Received)

New question today, and thank the lord, has nothing to do with pneumonia! Lol. I have to find a way to slow down Gigi's food consumption, but I need her to eat elevated at the same time. I'm looking at purchasing the neater feeder and the stainless ball to use in her bowl. Has anyone used the neater feeder? And how do you like it?

Jenn and Gigi

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads